Found a new 2-way clip option for my L1

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
While at my local Lowes today (gotta love Lowes right?) I saw where they have changed the design of the Kobalt 90 lumen light. It now has a 2-way clip that looks awfully familiar.

For $35 I figure I can either resell it to recoupe some funds or just throw it in my work tool box or the wife's outback. I had an older one of these and it was an ok light.
This clip is longer than an E1B clip but shorter than an LX2 clip. The attachment point is the same but slightly bigger. With a little tweaking from a grinder and Dremel with sanding disk it fits the L1 quite nicely. I played musical clips and moved my LX2 clip from my L1 to my C3 then the modded kobalt clip goes on the L1 and finally the C3 clip goes on the Kobalt light.

The kobalt clip isn't designed to break away like the LX2 clip people have complained about.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
That's funny. My dad who knows little to nothing about flashlights bought that light from Lowes. I got angry that he spent around 40-50 bucks on a new led light there so I got him a Quark AA2, ZL H51, and SF G2L. I think he still uses that damn Kobalt. It actually puts out a pretty good beam and kind of reminds of me a poor mans e2dl.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's funny. My dad who knows little to nothing about flashlights bought that light from Lowes. I got angry that he spent around 40-50 bucks on a new led light there so I got him a Quark AA2, ZL H51, and SF G2L. I think he still uses that damn Kobalt. It actually puts out a pretty good beam and kind of reminds of me a poor mans e2dl.
This one has an XR-E with a pure white tint and tight spot with useful spill. The first one I bought a couple of years ago was $50.

How much was the lowes light? was there any modification done to the clip? or is it a simple transplant?
$35, The mounting point of the clip is longer and slightly wider than the SF clip. I used a grinder to shorten the mount to Surefire length and then a file to smooth it out. For the width issue I used my Dremel with sanding disk to thin and narrow the edges and then the fun part............Using the sanding disk to CAREFULLY widen the Surefire slot less than 1mm total.

Finished product, no visible signs when installed.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I wish there was something to tighten them up. Luckily when I got my C3 cerakoted it actually made the clip fit much better. It had been very loose, but now it is tight. Unfortunately when tightening its bezel it scraped a little off from a few of the flat sides. Its always something.

Latest posts