info on this SF L1?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey, just received this L1 red today.
not exactly what i thought it would be....

4 flats, alittle longer than the most recent generation, and the box says 20+ hours of low runtime.

just wondering if anybody could tell me which generation this L1 is?
and its supposed high and low runtimes, and lumens? (red LED with the domed lens)

dsc00849qh.jpg

dsc00846zr.jpg

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Skyfire! Mine's a 5th gen...your's in the rarer 4th gen. I'm envious...the only difference between the two is the body...the electronics are the same, just on the 5th gen, they were turned sideways, making the 5th gen shorter. Very nice! And congrats on acquiring one of the best SRF's ever (and one of the longest running stock lights). Never get rid of this...you will regret it!

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you very much! ive always wanted a L1, but im a warm tint junkie and know i would void SF warranty somehow:shakehead
so decided to get a red L1 while i still can:thumbsup:
and im still on a mission to get a red A2. :shrug:

so this has 90+ hours of low runtime? its pretty bright too, i even put a diffuser on it to smooth it out and lower its output.
i was quite surprised when i pulled it out of its package and saw the 4 flats.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you very much! ive always wanted a L1, but im a warm tint junkie and know i would void SF warranty somehow:shakehead
so decided to get a red L1 while i still can:thumbsup:
and im still on a mission to get a red A2. :shrug:

so this has 90+ hours of low runtime? its pretty bright too, i even put a diffuser on it to smooth it out and lower its output.
i was quite surprised when i pulled it out of its package and saw the 4 flats.

90 hours runtime??? More like 2,000 hours...

[url]http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316124-*1-K-hr-Update*-L1-RD-(L1-Red)-vs-X5-Red-vs-24-7

2[/URL].2 on low and 22 on high are the factory specs...and "90" hours run-time on low...this is the perfect emergency light...get you a 12 pack of CR123's and your good for a few years of "around the house lighting".

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, ive seen that thread before, but just read over it again.
im simply amazed at the runtime! it seems impossible!

i had just finished a runtime with my V10R Ti. keep it on the lowest output which is less than 1 lumen and got a measly 80 hours from a batterystation primary.
i was pretty disappointed to see it was already out on the 4th day.

the low on my L1 is plenty bright, and i have a diffuser on it. its starting to get dark now (finally). and can test out how it performs.
im already thinking of getting a 6th gen L1, and as many older versions as possible.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Thats one of the reasons I havent splurged for the V10s. Anyone have any idea how long an HDS Rotary will last at its lowest output? I read somewhere it was 128 hours. Doesn't seem much better. Than that SMW. My E1L is rated at 3 lumens for 48 hours. Do those then taper after that? will they outlast the L1 or the HDS?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats one of the reasons I havent splurged for the V10s. Anyone have any idea how long an HDS Rotary will last at its lowest output? I read somewhere it was 128 hours. Doesn't seem much better. Than that SMW. My E1L is rated at 3 lumens for 48 hours. Do those then taper after that? will they outlast the L1 or the HDS?

I never did a runtime on my E1L, but when I get one again, it's definitely on the books! Think I'll do one on my E2L-AA tonight, starting with RC's...

Tommygun45

Enlightened
They have to taper after 48 right? If SF rates it there it must be to 50% per usual right?

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont know, i cant measure lumens, and dont really have other red LED lights to compare with.
it could be due to the awesome throw on this optics. its like semi-aspheric. theres definitely a noticeable difference with and without the diffuser.

i think i read that the hds rotary does around 160+ hours on the lowest setting... but i could be mistaken.

and i would love to see a E1L and E2L AA runtime results. both those are on my buy list, but right now i cant stop thinking about getting a A2. LoL i think im getting into another surefire spree. the last time i got about 7 or 8 SF in row. and this was over a year ago. theres a certain feeling when having a new SF in your hands:party:

LGT

Enlightened
This is totally off topic, but because it is the newest SF thread, I will ask it here. What are flats? Is it the flat sides on the battery tube? Tried doing a search, but came up with nothing.

archimedes

Flashaholic
This is totally off topic, but because it is the newest SF thread, I will ask it here. What are flats? Is it the flat sides on the battery tube? ....

Yep, that's it.

There have been several changes in the shapes of the battery tubes and bezels, over the evolution of various SureFire models. The term "4-flats" is just shorthand for this earlier style of L1, while newer models are round ( or "3-rounds" ). There are also other variations in clips, emitters, and such.

Here's a link to a thread with much more info on this - explaining the several "generations" of L1's ....

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?151425-The-Surefire-L1-Evolution

Last edited:

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Nice Skyfire! Mine's a 5th gen...your's in the rarer 4th gen. I'm envious...the only difference between the two is the body...the electronics are the same, just on the 5th gen, they were turned sideways, making the 5th gen shorter. Very nice! And congrats on acquiring one of the best SRF's ever (and one of the longest running stock lights). Never get rid of this...you will regret it!

they were turned sideways, making the 5th gen shorter??? I am confused. What do you mean?

FPSRelic

Enlightened
they were turned sideways, making the 5th gen shorter??? I am confused. What do you mean?

I'm not sure if this is actually correct. My understanding was that the different between the 4th and 5th gen L1 was only that the 4th gen had flats, and the 5th gen was round. I thought that the 4th and 5th gen L1's were the same length?

I beleive it was the 6th gen, using the cree emitter, that had the PCB mounted in a "Magic stack" configuration, as opposed to the "Magic Coffin" configuration used by the gen4/5, which is what I think angelofwar is on about. Size15s talk about the differences on post 35 in this review of the gen6:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?168648-Surefire-CREE-L1-review/page2

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I'm not sure if this is actually correct. My understanding was that the different between the 4th and 5th gen L1 was only that the 4th gen had flats, and the 5th gen was round. I thought that the 4th and 5th gen L1's were the same length?

I beleive it was the 6th gen, using the cree emitter, that had the PCB mounted in a "Magic stack" configuration, as opposed to the "Magic Coffin" configuration used by the gen4/5, which is what I think angelofwar is on about. Size15s talk about the differences on post 35 in this review of the gen6:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?168648-Surefire-CREE-L1-review/page2

Ok. So the turned sideways was the electronics in the light and that made the length difference between the 5th and 6th. That makes sense. You are a better mind reader than I.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Nah not really, I just remember the thing about length differences after reading the review that I posted a link to. I also remember the Surefire Evolution thread posted here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?151425-The-Surefire-L1-Evolution where Milkyspit spelled out the different generations that he knew of, and what the differences were. Note that the post was from 2007, when the Cree 6th gen L1 was yet to be released, hence why he gives a vague description of it:

SureFire L1 Evolution

Gen1: Body has four flats. Head is short and tapered. Lens is flat. Bezel is plain (NOT scalloped). Optic is NX05. Emitter is Luxeon low dome.

Gen2: Like gen1 but bezel is scalloped. I believe some of these came with the SureFire lanyard and attachment in the box. Somewhere along the way the box style changed from cardboard box with lid to cardboard one-piece box with top and bottom flats, internal plastic tray, and clear plastic window through which the L1 is visible.

Gen3: Like gen2 but emitter is Luxeon high dome. Note that optic is still NX05.

Gen4: Head switched to larger, KL4-like head with TIR optic, domed lens, and Luxeon (III?) emitter. Body is still the four flats version. These seem to be relatively rare! Probably a short production run before switching to the newer, rounded body.

Gen5: Like gen4 but body is rounded (no flats).

Gen6: (shown at SHOT 2007) Body seems to be 25% shorter than gen5. Head seems to be a little shorter than gen5 head, with emitter switched to Cree XR-E and optic switched to something similar in appearance to a Fraen LP optic... it appears to have a hole in the center that goes all the way through, although that may not in fact be the case (looked like it did to me, but Size15s reports not)... one can look directly at the emitter dome through this apparent hole.