R2K NX05 hotspot

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just modded my KL1 with a R2K. It's a PITA to align the Luxeon straight with the optic. However when done it's very white and bright compared to the original bluish LD.

I find that the hotspot circle is now rounder and more intense than any highdome luxeon lights I ever own. Even the over driven ones does not come near to the beauty of the roundness hotspot. This comparism exists in the R2K and other Q3Xs in my other lights.

Anyone has the same experience?

Vince.

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
Great to hear that everything went alright on your mod.

I wish I had learned of the centering of luxeons with a NX05 sooner. A while back, I had made three sandwiches (Two Q3J HD BB400's and one R2H MM+) and one BB500 R2H McLux and used a McFlood to center all of the luxeons. Boy, they all looked great with the McFlood but when I threw a NX05 in each of them, that's when I learned that all of the luxeons were off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Oh well, the original plan was to stick a McFlood in each of them but it wouldn't hurt if I was to be able to throw in a NX05 in them from time to time but I guess that's not going to happen. Well, you learn as you go on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

And BTW, these McFlooded lights that I made do outperform my other stock luxeon lights. They may have an ugly, off-centered hotspot with the NX05 installed but they still do outshine my other stock one watters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, the Lens didn't was sort of wounded during the operation..

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MODS&Number=366272&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post368159

I don't know if it's my eyes or mentally. I think the hotspot will be brighter if it is aligned and centered properly. I didn't take the effort to center my mods previously, I went through the process of centering, the beam now looks more beautiful with the hotspot in the middle.

Vince.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
nukiez,
I do like the R2K's better. I find the beam smoother and usually bright than the Q3J's I've seen. I like the warmer light more too. I was using the Q3J's because that seemed to be what everyone wanted.

BTW, centering is a PITA, but practice makes near perfect. The more I do, the easier it gets.