L1 or E1L

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I have dedicated my most recent generation E1L to my girlfriends purse. She has used it on occasion, with my Z68 tailstanding tailcap in a hotel room with her sister, and while at work. It's on the same battery since I got it. I however, hate that fact. Not knowing how much juice is left bugs me. It does not run well off of one of my RCR123s. Should I swap her E1L for an L1? I have a tailstanding shroud for L series lights just sitting in storage so tailstanding it wouldn't be an issue. I however don't really have the funds to just outright purchase an L1.

She uses it rarely. It needs to tailstand. I like giving her a quality light and an extra battery just in case. Should it be an L1 or the E1L. (For her keys I have a pink preon revo on there, her "need" is mostly just my compulsiveness.)

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
I would pick the e1l for her it's just a little bit shorter. every half inch make a difference in a purse, at least I think it does

greenLED

Flashaholic
I would pick the e1l for her it's just a little bit shorter. every half inch make a difference in a purse, at least I think it does
I would actually pick the L1, for exactly the opposite reason. The E1, E1B, etc. can be too short for some people's hands.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1.

In the period that I have gotten into the whole flashlight hobby, no other light has provided the same ergonomics as the L1 to me.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeppers...L1...the E1L is more a camping/"guy" light...the L1 has much more suitability as an EDC light. I got rid of My first E1L cause it never got uese...if I got another, it would only be used for camping or a SHTF light. Yep, the L1.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Yeah I'd say l1 also its brighter, I'd just run it on regular CR123's if she doesn't use it that much. Or you could get her a BC10 or something, a lot cheaper than a surefire?

mbw_151

Enlightened
The E1L is has a much longer run time on both high and low. On high: 4 hr vs 1.5 and on low: 35 vs 16. I've had both lights and in use the highs are effectively the same, but the L1 low is definitely brighter. The Z68 for the E1L is the only tailstanding solution from Surefire, all L1 solutions are aftermarket. This largest difference is the User Interface. The E1L is click to change modes where the L1 is progeressive and allows you to lock low on and just press to engage the high and release to drop back to low. My experience is that non-flashaholics require more training to figure out the L1 interface. This isn't good for a light that gets loaned out, but once understood, the L1 is very convenient.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1L is has a much longer run time on both high and low. On high: 4 hr vs 1.5 and on low: 35 vs 16. I've had both lights and in use the highs are effectively the same, but the L1 low is definitely brighter. The Z68 for the E1L is the only tailstanding solution from Surefire, all L1 solutions are aftermarket. This largest difference is the User Interface. The E1L is click to change modes where the L1 is progeressive and allows you to lock low on and just press to engage the high and release to drop back to low. My experience is that non-flashaholics require more training to figure out the L1 interface. This isn't good for a light that gets loaned out, but once understood, the L1 is very convenient.

This has been my experience, too, fwiw.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Ok, I went ahead and ordered an L1 off the MP. I used to have one but didn't realize what it could do on RCRs. I also already have a shroud for it so it will be able to tailstand. If this thing is a true throw monster with an RCR I might have her hang onto that E1L a little longer :). Here was my old L1

IMAG0234.jpg

Here is her nice little E1L. (I just sold the E1B. :-( Just couldn't use a light that only took primaries. Hopefully the new EB1 takes rechargeables. I will get it then.

e1b-e1l.jpg

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Yeah I'd say l1 also its brighter, I'd just run it on regular CR123's if she doesn't use it that much. Or you could get her a BC10 or something, a lot cheaper than a surefire?

Not a bad idea but I just couldn't live with myself giving her a light that I wouldn't carry myself. The Preon I gave her stopped working one night a few months ago. Clicky tailcap just went on it for some odd reason. I like the idea of her having a light that I know will work when needed. (hopefully) She'll still have that fixed Revo if the other light I give her doesn't work. I've made her be a 2 is 1 girl. Anywhere but here that would sound bad.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad idea but I just couldn't live with myself giving her a light that I wouldn't carry myself. The Preon I gave her stopped working one night a few months ago. Clicky tailcap just went on it for some odd reason. I like the idea of her having a light that I know will work when needed. (hopefully) She'll still have that fixed Revo if the other light I give her doesn't work. I've made her be a 2 is 1 girl. Anywhere but here that would sound bad.

Some "odd" reason? That's what we say to appease the "SF Haters". We all know why it quit working. As you said yourself, you like her having a light that you know will work when needed. None of my SF's have ever stopped working "for some odd reason". 90% of my non-SF's have...or are finicky, too say the least. That's why it irks me to no end for 20,000 people to recommend lights that they "sub-conciously(?)" know to be sub-par. I guess it's just a learning curve???

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Some "odd" reason? That's what we say to appease the "SF Haters". We all know why it quit working. As you said yourself, you like her having a light that you know will work when needed. None of my SF's have ever stopped working "for some odd reason". 90% of my non-SF's have...or are finicky, too say the least. That's why it irks me to no end for 20,000 people to recommend lights that they "sub-conciously(?)" know to be sub-par. I guess it's just a learning curve???

I know, I know, I know... I was just trying to be polite AOW.

A learning curve and budgetary constraints for some. They still see the lumens vs price and leave it at that. For some, it may make sense but I like having good tools too much. I'd rather them be reliable than bright. Also, after starting this thread and having searched around for L1's I realized how rare they are becoming. I found the funds to add the L1 without losing anything else.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
The seller on the MP can't seem to figure out what version his L1 is. Can you guys figure it out?

IMG_05411.JPG

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, I know, I know... I was just trying to be polite AOW.

A learning curve and budgetary constraints for some. They still see the lumens vs price and leave it at that. For some, it may make sense but I like having good tools too much. I'd rather them be reliable than bright. Also, after starting this thread and having searched around for L1's I realized how rare they are becoming. I found the funds to add the L1 without losing anything else.

LOL! I'm polite...99% of the time...I just gotta vent every once in awhile...LOL!

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got another E1L and L1. The L1 is better ergonomically. It's has what I believe are perfect dimensions. But I'll be darned if the E1L isn't brighter than my L1. Even on a ceiling bounce, it's brighter. I don't know if the E1L is an over achiever or the L1 is lazy, but it's true.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got another E1L and L1. The L1 is better ergonomically. It's has what I believe are perfect dimensions. But I'll be darned if the E1L isn't brighter than my L1. Even on a ceiling bounce, it's brighter. I don't know if the E1L is an over achiever or the L1 is lazy, but it's true.

??? Did you get a 6th gen L1??? Sounds like you got a 4th or 5th Gen L1.You got up close pics of the L1.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a 10/65 new model. It's only slight, but the E1L is brighter. I believe I just got a really good E1L.