Current Brightest 2AA

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, periodilcally we see these and with all the new 2AA lights out I am wondering what's the overall brightest regardless of what LED emitter it is using. Doesn't matter throw/flood or highest lux. The driver also must fully regulate the output. What puts out the overall most light? Keep in mind to the ratings of each flashlight. ANSI, LED or OTF as to go by specs would not necessarily prove for it to be the overall brightest.

They have slowly been creeping up to the 300 lumen mark for a while now. SO far, who's closest to reaching? Just another way of thinking what the brightest 2AA currently is.

Hope I didn't answer my own question with this:
http://www.eagletac.com/html/p20a2/features/output.html
340 ANSI? So we already beat the 340 ANSI mark right under my nose sheesh.

Imagine 2AA blasting out 500ANSI with great runtimes someday whooopy.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
All the really bright AA format lights are single-cell using a Li-ion battery; the 1xAA Xeno E03 XM-L nudges the 500 lumen mark on high.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
the brightest XP-G R5 on 2x AA is Jetbeam BA20 and Klarus P2A check selfbuilt's review

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
All the really bright AA format lights are single-cell using a Li-ion battery; the 1xAA Xeno E03 XM-L nudges the 500 lumen mark on high.

Sorry, but I am not looking for 14500 lights. I am looking for what's in the title and my OP specifically.

the brightest XP-G R5 on 2x AA is Jetbeam BA20 and Klarus P2A check selfbuilt's review
Well, I am looking for the overall brightest 2AA regardless of emitter but I appreciate the post. I saw he had the BA20 but didn't see a P2A on the review list think it's a really similar light anyhow. LightReviews got 220 lumens out of their BA20 and a little less with their P2A.

I have a TerraLUX Lightstar 300. They claim 300 lumens on 2AAs, not 14500s... Also, I have a Shining Beam Caveman, 290 lumens.

As in my post. There are different ratings of light. LED, OTF, and ANSI. I mentioned this as something to lookout for. I think both those lights are rated at the emitter which inflates the flashlight output rating very high. Often it is much lower.

Has anyone else noticed the Eagletac has rated 340ANSI for the P20A2 with the XM-L T6?
http://www.eagletac.com/html/p20a2/features/output.html

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac has always been on the forefront and leading the lumens race.
they are in fact the first name when one searches for "the latest product releases and the brightest output because of the latest product releases". they come up with new products and updated emitters all the time. XP-G R5, XP-G S2, XML-T6, XML-U2.

they are one of the more exciting flashlight brands out there, and clearly set the pace.
just look at the newness of their website. frikking awesome.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I looked at the technical specs on the eagletac and I am thinking it maybe a type-O. Still though, it might be the brightest.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I thought you were into 4AA now; that's why you sold most of your 2AAs in the marketplace, no? Change of heart?
When I saw the MagLite I knew I had to get one. The feel of the MagLite Pro + is awesome. Simple, symmetrical and reliable. Huge impulse buy.

I actually have the Olight S65 now.
I will get back into 2AA when it passes the 300ANSI mark. Wont make a big difference from what's out know but I got spread the love elsewhere.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Quark AA2 X is 400 lumens ANSI; it steps down to 300 lumens just after three minutes, but remains there steady for an hour. The Thrunite Neutron 2A XM-L is 320 lumens ANSI steady for just over an hour (there is less than 10% output difference between the two after three minutes, therefore they would appear equally as bright by the eye.)

None of the measuring methods you mention matter if you're only going by manufacturer specs; actual testing numbers are the only ones that count.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
The Quark AA2 X is 400 lumens ANSI; it steps down to 300 lumens just after three minutes, but remains there steady for an hour. The Thrunite Neutron 2A XM-L is 320 lumens ANSI steady for just over an hour (there is less than 10% output difference between the two after three minutes, therefore they would appear equally as bright by the eye.)

None of the measuring methods you mention matter if you're only going by manufacturer specs; actual testing numbers are the only ones that count.

Or the ones actually tested in the lab.
The quark is extremely impressive. I will have to look into that thanks for letting me know. That's some huge news to my ears!

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
ANSI should be ANSI though, shouldnt it? 400L from the quark is very impressive, and I almost have a hard time believing the manufacturer would under rate it so much? Usually its the other way around. It also looks to be on sale on goinggear, and I'm looking to equip my bike with a light (or pair) that could also be taken off and used as flashlight. Hmmm. No turbo edition yet I see.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIΩDΣ;3880070 said:
ANSI should be ANSI though, shouldnt it? 400L from the quark is very impressive
are we talking about Quark X AA² Tactical? yep, on sale at 4sevens-storeDOTcom.
on the 4sevensDOTcom website it's listed with 280lumens OTF

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Anothermother,

not sure why you detest li-ion batteries so much. They are certainly an upgrade to any NiMH betteries with a range of advantages. They're lighter, holds more energy, higher voltage i.e. more powerful, doesn't discharge, and the only downside is that you need to buy a different type of charger for something like $20.

You do know you're missing out A LOT, right?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Hi Anothermother,

not sure why you detest li-ion batteries so much. They are certainly an upgrade to any NiMH betteries with a range of advantages. They're lighter, holds more energy, higher voltage i.e. more powerful, doesn't discharge, and the only downside is that you need to buy a different type of charger for something like $20.

You do know you're missing out A LOT, right?

???
Who ever said i detest lithiums? I rarely mention lithiums.
Don't know where you got the from but i do have a lithium and a charger. I have a single AW 14500 left somewhere. And a whole lots more eneloops which makes AA more practical for me. Currently. I don't have any flashlights that use lithium that are not for sale but i have had plenty and the sight of all my eneloops keeps me happy.

300 ANSI lumens regulated for an hour is awesome. Im not a quark fan but i must look better into the AA2 X model.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I already have a Olight S65. It's just this looks so awesome! Even though I am not a fan of quarks.
I admit I am resisting the urges to get one since they are on sale.
Thanks for all you help guys. I got my answer sweet!

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apologies if I offended you in anyway.

I didn't see anyone say it, that is more of an impression that I felt I was given.

I was just trying to point out 1x14500 can give same the output of 2xAA if not better. If output is one's priority, then at the same/similar form factor, better choices are out there.
???
Who ever said i detest lithiums? I rarely mention lithiums.
Don't know where you got the from but i do have a lithium and a charger. I have a single AW 14500 left somewhere. And a whole lots more eneloops which makes AA more practical for me. Currently. I don't have any flashlights that use lithium that are not for sale but i have had plenty and the sight of all my eneloops keeps me happy.

300 ANSI lumens regulated for an hour is awesome. Im not a quark fan but i must look better into the AA2 X model.