Been away for a while, has Fenix improved on the older 75 Lumen LOD Q4 Premium?

coloradowildman

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've been away for at least 3 years now, wow! I looked around to try and find the answer, but it doesn't seem so clear cut. Was wondering if Fenix actually improved on the the little AAA battery LOD Q4 Premium that maxed out at 75 lumens? I've had one of these since they came out and it's my favorite flashlight. Has Fenix improved batterly life or brightness noticeably since then? If so, which model?

thanks

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Welcome back. The successor is the LD01, which can be found in aluminum or stainless steel. They have upgraded emitters since the model you mentioned, and there are no strobe functions. The listing for the lumen and runtimes haven't changed much, but Fenix has become more conservative with their stated specs as they follow new standards, referred to as ANSI (american national standards institute), so they may give an increased performance. The shape of the beam is probably more smooth and floody with the newer emitters as well, but that is pure speculation.

In the last few years there have been several manufacturers coming out with high performance small flashlights. Fellow CPF'r HKJ has a great site here that would be a good place to start. At the top there are several links with his previous AAA reviews as well.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Also, the XP-G emitter in the newest version gives a better/smoother beam, I disliked the ringy beams from the prior XR-E LD01.
The claimed runtime on 'high' is somewhat longer IIRC.
The older versions were rated for lumens @ the emitter, I think the newest ones are OTF-rated?
The newest version has an actual low output mode, not a 'medium' & 'reduced medium' IMO.

Can you tell that I really like the newest version? ;)

Last edited: