NovaTac Special Ops?

380long

Newly Enlightened
Is a Novatac Special Ops worth $40? I have seen they are not the same quality as the old NT and are not made in the US anymore...but for $40 is it an ok light?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly, no. Even at $40 it's still overpriced. And just to clarify, I mean that with no sarcasm.

funkychateau

Enlightened
Is a Novatac Special Ops worth $40? I have seen they are not the same quality as the old NT and are not made in the US anymore...but for $40 is it an ok light?

I bought one last year when they were on sale for $28. It's an OK light, but sort of uneconomical in that it uses two CR123 batteries and does not support two rechargeables (according to the supplied literature). Also, getting it going again after changing batteries seems touchy and finicky. I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get it to work again after battery changes.

I wish I had kept my money - now I have a light I don't really like, but its user interface is such that I don't feel good about giving it to someone who might not have the patience to mess with it.

On the plus side, there are some interesting mods published on the forum. I haven't tried them.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's outdated emitter and runtimes, fun UI if you like HDS.
I bought one and though I don't regret it, I did sent it out to get modded

Racer

Enlightened
Are some of them still made in the USA? Their web site seems a little confusing on the matter.

380long

Newly Enlightened
CarpenrtyHero, Where did you send it to get modded and what are you having done to it?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Are some of them still made in the USA? Their web site seems a little confusing on the matter.

Novatac is making their lights in China. If you want a Made In The USA Novatac model, you'll have to track down an older Novatac 85 or 120 series. (85E, 85T, 85P, 120E, 120T, 120P.)

southernstar

Newly Enlightened
In my personal opinion I would never buy another NT product EVER AGAIN. Rant to follow...

I worked at NT from July 2008 until April 2011 and can tell you horror stories of the poor quality materials we were forced to use and the sub-par parts were we forced to accept from vendors. I was supposedly the "Quality Control Manager", although I would never admit that to anyone while I was working there. Basically I would let the bosses know when something was out of spec or just plain poop only for them to tell me "make it work". Some Quality Control, right. In short, bad decisions were made from the top as to the quality of vendors and materials that greatly hurt the NT brand, which they will never recover from. Don't even get me started on the China manufacturer.

NT is now dead, I have been trying to get in contact with anyone that will admit to having anything to do with Novatac since December in order to recover some legal and tax related documents. Neither the former CEO or Director of Operations/partner will answer their phones or return my calls. The facility has been abandoned and was empty, although the Novatac signs still hung on the front of the building. The shipping address has been taken over by Lumeway. I have sent emails to the following email addresses that still function and were not returned as undeliverable:

[email protected] (former President)
[email protected] (former CEO)
[email protected] (former Sales Manager)
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

All have not returned my email. Seems after the Mr. Mintz, who is now the VP of Business Development at Lumeway, signed the "Strategic Agreement" with Lumeway (His nephew was NT's CTO and is Lumeway President and founder) in November, NTceased to exist, as well as any employees or partners. No effort was made to inform customers, users, or anyone else as to how they were to get their lights serviced, which Lumeway has taken up 3 months after the agreement was signed and only because I called them out in a few forums and on social media outlets. Pretty shady and unprofessional if you ask me.

Now the same people that destroyed NT as a company are going to continue to destroy NT as a brand. I cannot say for sure if NT products made by Lumeway are of poor quality, I can only assume from my past experience they will not be of the quality envisioned by Henry or that I fought hard to keep during my time there.

If you have an early model NTI hope it serves you well. I still have many, 2 of which I EDC. If you don't have an early model but like the NT, buy HDS, it will cost more in cash now, but will save you an untold fortune from headaches.

Last edited: