I need quality 18650 recommendations.

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
I got a couple 18650s from ebay and they worked well once. Now my charger shows that they are full (about 4 volts), but my flashlight is really dim.

Can I rejuvenate these batteries?
Any recommendations for new batteries?

I just hope my flashlight isn't the part that is messed up.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bin those eBay batteries.

Go and get some AW, Redilast or Callie's Customs cells.

Which, incidentally, is the exact response you'd find with a quick search :poke: :)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the trustfire and other no name batteries are relabeled old used computer batteries with little or no capacity left

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I've been using AW brand cells for years with absolutely no problems. Sure they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a couple 18650s from ebay and they worked well once. Now my charger shows that they are full (about 4 volts), but my flashlight is really dim.

Can I rejuvenate these batteries?
Any recommendations for new batteries?

I just hope my flashlight isn't the part that is messed up.

you sure its your batteries? coz if they read 4.2 volts, then your light might be the problem.

Anyways, if you want nice, dependable batteries with long runtime, get the Panasonics. Sure, the more expensive ones they listed here are good, but the cells those brands use are panasonics anyway.

The green is 3100 mAh and the gray is 2900 mAh. There's a new protected 3100 mAh panasonic, but i havent tested that out yet so im not recommending it yet.

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
you sure its your batteries? coz if they read 4.2 volts, then your light might be the problem.

I hope it isn't my light. I just got one of those triple XM-L "3800 Lumen" lights from ebay and it is pretty awesome. Last night I let it run on high until it started to get time which I assume was the batteries running down. I did let the light get quite hot (maybe 120º at the heatsink) I hope I didn't fry it. I do think that I have a bad cell though, because I tested them individually in another flashlight and one was very dim. I have a dumb Chinese charger so I don't know how good of a job it does at taking care of the batteries during charging.

Where can I buy Panasonic batteries directly?

Last edited:

carry16

Newly Enlightened
I had what I thought were defective batteries from eBay as well. It turned out if I charged the batteries one at a time, instead of in pairs, in the charger they worked fine. I'm guessing that when the batteries are at a different charge level the battery charger cannot work with them simultaneously. YMMV.:wave:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go get yourself a voltmeter so you can measure the voltage on them separately from the charger...it's entirely possible that your charger may have killed the batteries. It is also possible that you may have left the light on too long...though I think you're gonna have to do some testing to truly determine where the issue is.

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
I have a regular multimeter and both batteries tested at 4V even though one was very dim while the other was bright. I've got a new pair on order from China so I can test it out again in a few weeks.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talking about quality batteries and where to find it, after a search I find some chinnese seller in ebay with a good reputation selling 4 panasonic 3100mha protected for 48,99$ shipped.

Do you think guys that I make a good buy or not?

SFMI4UT

Ian2381

Enlightened
I would highly recommend the AW brand but if budget is a concern the New Intl-Outdoor Panasonic 3100mh Protected seems to be a good fit, they're 13.96usd each with free shipping(Upgraded Version).

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
I would highly recommend the AW brand but if budget is a concern the New Intl-Outdoor Panasonic 3100mh Protected seems to be a good fit, they're 13.96usd each with free shipping(Upgraded Version).

Do you have a link?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope it isn't my light. I just got one of those triple XM-L "3800 Lumen" lights from ebay and it is pretty awesome. Last night I let it run on high until it started to get time which I assume was the batteries running down. I did let the light get quite hot (maybe 120º at the heatsink) I hope I didn't fry it. I do think that I have a bad cell though, because I tested them individually in another flashlight and one was very dim. I have a dumb Chinese charger so I don't know how good of a job it does at taking care of the batteries during charging.

If your cells are unprotected, you wrote a very good recipe up there for some nice flashlight fireworks...

I suppose you know what those li-ion cells can do when they get angry, if not, it's time to go over to the battery section and please also read the part of fire, explosions and other catastrophies. Then get yourself a decent charger, some decent cells and stop playing with your life and health!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

One thing hard about those generic lights are that the rating is not the actual output, another, the quality arent that good. Be careful letting the light get that hot! For some generic lights, some do not have thermal protection so it will literally burn itself out! What you could do, take out the batteries and smell the inside portion of the head where you can see the PCB. If it smells like burned circuits, you've got a busted light. I had a quark die on me, and it did smell of burned electronics at the head. If you want a smart Chinese charger, get the Sysmax I4! It can charge anything from regular AAA's AA's and all those special Lithium ion batteries.

You can get your panasonics from this guy, Hank: http://www.intl-outdoor.com/battery-charger-batteries-c-56_78.html. He also happens to sell flashlights. You might want to consult him if ever youre in the market for a new light, he'll hook you up and give you the low down on each light so you can make an informed decision when you buy your light! :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had what I thought were defective batteries from eBay as well. It turned out if I charged the batteries one at a time, instead of in pairs, in the charger they worked fine. I'm guessing that when the batteries are at a different charge level the battery charger cannot work with them simultaneously. YMMV.:wave:

If you are referring to those generic "-fire" chargers, yes, the circuit outputs 4.2volts at 500mAh. so attaching two batteries to charge splits the load between the two batteries, so if you're charging an 18650 that's rated at 3100mAh, half of 500mAh will take a loooooonnnng time to charge. hehe... i've charged two 3100mAh's on it and it takes roughly about 13-15 hours.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 on this, but i have yet to test the cells. I'll try ordering a couple for testing :)