The flashlight beam on a foggy night

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've tested several portable flashlight products over the years in mostly indoor environments. On occasion, I 've used them outdoors in clear weather conditions where the projected spot [NOT the beam] is quite visible. I have recently gained some insight into flashlight usage when the weather conditions were less than cleas; a LOT LESS than clear!

I recently visited a former colleaque and longtime friend whom now lives in the Pacific Northwest. I arrived in Seattle and drove South through some of the thickest fog (marine layer or whatever you Left Coasters call it there) that I'ver seen in my near 60 years. I left the airport at 2:45 PM. It was damn near impossible to travel faster that 30 MPH. By the time I arrived at his new home, it was dark.

I arrived at his home after several phone calls because I missed the entry into his private driveway that, along with several others along the same 2-lane road, was covered with thick brush that he and his missus have not had the time to clear since moving in.

When I arrived at the entry of his actual concrete and stone driveway, he was exiting his garage while holding a spotlight with very familiar contours. It was the mighty Maxabeam. He already had it activated and pointing at the portion of the driveway where contruction was underway. I would have never seen the pile of soil, gravel, and stone had he not illuminated the area. I quickly grabbed my 9N and pointed the spot at the area. All I saw was the beam [NOT the area where the projected spot ended up]. He laughed and said that my 9N was useless in this condition.

After a fabulous dinner (his wife is a retired chef) and coffee, we went straight into "catching up." After several hours, the topic of flashlights popped up. I asked him about the Maxabeam. He said he ordinarily keeps it in his boat. I didn't know he had one. We went to the back yard and he showed it to me. Well, he at least pointed in the direction of the thick fog where the vesel was docked. It was only about 45 feet away, but the fog was too thick to see past the table on the patio.

We started walking towards the boat just past the patio when he suddenly placed in his hand on my shoulder and asked if I wanted to go for a swim. I would have INTO the pool had he not activate the Maxabeam. He then pointed the light towards his 55 foot boat and began talking about it. I was more interested in how the Maxabeam surgically cut into the fog with its pencil beam.

I then activated my 9N and again he said with a chuckle that those were useless there. We got to talking about the output of flashlights with stochastic reflectors. I didn't know he was so knowledgeable about flashlights. He started to tell me about CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I told him I was a member. He said he reads it often.

It turns out, he has a growing battery of lights because of the conditions he has to live in in this neck of the woods. I asked him if it is worth the trouble. He told me how little he paid for the property and how infrequent this weather condition appears. I understood.

Returning to the topic of flashlights, we went back in to the house and he showed me a drawerful of various lights; about 2 dozen. The battery contained several products that were immediately familiar to me. Surefire M2, M3, and M6 instantly stood out due to their HAIII coating. In another drawer was the 10X. Beneath the green Surefires were several others having the orange peel reflectors. I was surprised to see the Magchager in the same pile. I asked specifically about it and he said it cannot focus into a beam tight enough to cut though the fog. The Surefire products apparently provide a very clean beam; a cone of light that you can see. Unfortunately, as he quickly demonstrated when we stepped outside again, all we saw was the BEAM (the cone of light) as it illuminated the fog ITSELF! That is why these types of products are not very useful in this weather condition.

What he found to BE useful was the 9N WITH the turbo reflector, the Streamlight Ultrastinger, and a lowly 3D Maglite that he is able to tightly focus. He said that this is an anomally. He tried several other 3 and 4Ds that would not duplicate this output. He said that despite the special 3D's output, he does not use it because it defocuses easily. He also does not use the Turbo 9N frequently because of the still broad beam it still outputs despite the larger reflector.

I then reached for my ASP Taclite and activated it along with his Ultrastinger. The Taclite's pencil beam was thinner than the Ultrastinger's. The beam was very much like a light saber in the Star Wars films. The projected spot, although able to light up the edge of the pool, unfortunately was only able to slightly show the bow of the boat. The Ultrastinger allowed us to see much more of the boat. The Maxabeam showed every little scratch on the vessel.

He told me that all of the officers in the local SO carry lights with the ability to tightly focus. The Pelican M6 is apparently very popular. The ASP Taclite would also be a hit except that ASP no longer makes the internal focusing model like the unit I own.

Three hours before sunup, we were still talking about flashlights. He offered me the drawerful of lights. I said that I was OK with those I currently own. I took the lights and donated them to the fire station in my neighborhood.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello KT,

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest (and our version of fog).

I spend a lot of time in a kayak and wanted a light that would enable me to find a buoy or marker if I happened to be out after dark. I ended up with the UK SL4.

In side by side comparisons at a lake with the fog just starting to settle in, I was surprised that I was better able to distinguish landmarks across the lake with the SL4 than my TigerLight. The TigerLight puts out more light, but the spill in the fog had too much reflection back to identify objects at a distance. The SL4 has almost no spill and it did cut through the fog.

I must add, I also have been in fog so thick that my SL4 could not penetrate it. Perhaps I need to look into a SL6, or a MaxaBeam.

Tom

McGizmo

Flashaholic
KT,

Divers can have the same problem in murkey waters. The other issue is backscatter. Did you notice that you could see better if the light source was further off axis from your line of sight to target?

The Pelican SaberLight is a popular light with divers and I understand firemen as well due to its pencil beam. The new version with the LED is more concentrated as well compared to many other lights.

I had a Maxi-Beam for a while and it is certainly a "fog cutter" in a class all of its own! Of course when the visibility is good, the pencil beam is a wasted concentration of light for most applications.

Growing up on the left coast, I have seen some pretty amazing fog! Worse case I can remember was coming back to my dorm in La Jolla one eve. I drove at about 5 mph with my driver door open so I could look down at the yellow line in the center of the street!

- Don

Kiessling

Flashaholic
guys! wow! that must be very cool to have a fog like this!

isn't this backscatter the reason why fog-lights in cars are mounted very low? I never undertstood why you could see better with those in foggy weather ...

bernhard

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was pointed out in another thread that yellow light does not penetrate the atmosphere as much as blue. Does this have any bearing on fog, rain and diving reflections (backscatter?), as well? I have this problem sometimes in the boat, and I wonder if a bluer light would be better in fog and rain.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Tom, that was not the first time for me in the Pacific Northwest; having been stationed there while in the military. That day, however, was THE foggiest that I had ever seen.

Don, while on-axis, the beam was indeed mostly what I saw. I held my Taclite while my arm was fully extended, palm up. It was a little awkward holding the light with its rear switch position, but the technique works fine. It reminds me of the old FBI technique where the light was held away from the body so that the baddies whom will shoot AT the light will hopefully not hit the good guy.

One thing that I did notice about that area. Nobody liked umbrellas. I went shopping to purchase one. None of the retailers had them available. When I asked a few of them, they said they would be glad to ORDER one??!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Actual fog lights have a lens pattern that chopps off the top of the beam and keeps the pattern low to the ground. The lens design reduces the backscatter and mounting the lights low reduces backscatter by increasing the vertical distance between you and the light. Orange/yellow light increases the apparent contrast (try wearing yellow glasses on an overcast or foggy day).

McGizmo

Flashaholic
What Roy said....

On the truck I used to have (last serious mod platform /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) I had mounted 4 of the Piaa yellow fog lamps below the bumper. These were the $400 per set units that had an Ion coated lens which somehow only allowed the yellow light out. They had an incredibly sharp cut off line; tons of light below and none above. I found with two sets, I could kill my head lights in the thick fog and drive by these alone. I used to deliver marine supplies to customers in the Monterey Bay from Santa Cruz down to Monterey. There were a couple times I was real glad I had these lights! Of course the real problem is the other folks out in the fog with you!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I used to keep my fogs aimed so that they would cross in front of the Jeep. That is to say, the right light was aimed to the left and the left was aimed to the right. Created a big bright spot in front of the Jeep and would light up the sides of the road.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
About a week I took my MR-X outside when it was pitch dark and slightly foggy. As soon as I turned the MR-X on, I blinded myself. I had to switch to my Opalec and aim it at the ground in front of my feet to not blind myself.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If one considers the fog as if it were a big mirror in front of them and then proceeds to illuminate accordingly, they will be more effective in their efforts.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
On a foggy night this summer my McModule cut through noticeably better than the L4, though a sharper beam would have been even better. My Super Pelilite and Pocket Sabre would probably have been excellent for fog but I gave them away because I found their beams too narrow for ordinary (above ground) use.

The tightly focusable TL-2LED might make a good fog light.

Brightnorm

FNG

Enlightened
Turns out we have quite a few members in this area. KT, I believe Tanners Store Front still sells the internal focus model for $50.