4Sevens Lights...

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Spent about 10 minutes with my new lights...

d83a5866-28ce-ff54.jpg

I'm going to give my 2 cents.

Received: QMini 123 R5 Ti, QMini AA R5 Ti, Preon 2 Black/Ti High CRI

Packaging. Brilliant. Love it. Love the rubbery texture and gives me an idea for our own packaging.

Contents. Includes Duracell and 4Seven's batteries, great! Lanyard is silver which kind of matches the Ti finish style. Excellent.

Manual. Pretty lean and not up to par with the rest of the packaging. At the very least it's written in proper English!

Light output and UI. Good. Love the two cycle to strobe/SOS modes. Output is ok, haven't compared yet... using NiMH and RCR123A.

Fit and finish. This is my biggest beef. I expected much better quality being a Ti light or Ti finish. The light looked more like Alu with some Titanium spray paint. The walls also feel very thin, whether by design or not. Both 47 logo on the bottom of the Quarks were dirty and couldn't really be cleaned. Emitter on Q123 had a black spec of visible debris out of the box. The threads are pretty thin. I think these are the only other flashlights that ever squeaked when screwing them on other than a few UltraFire types. Felt like rubbish. Will have to do some serious lubing.

O-rings are loose but not so much that they'll cut with screwing/unscrewing though time will tell.

The body is literally just a spring to the base. While simplistic, it makes you think... "what did I pay for"?

Engraving. The logo and text engraved on the bodies is fuzzy.

Overall, they felt overpriced for what they are... and I have a LOT of lights to compare to. Granted the light before these that came last week were the V10R Ti and V10R XML so that's a pretty high bar to meet (and retail price)p.

The redeeming grace?

The Preon 2 is High CRI. This is the first time I've ever played with a High CRI light and absolutely LOVE it. On that basis alone, I'll be shopping 4Sevens for some High CRI... with low quality expectations (choosing small lights only).

Thanks for reading!

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fit and finish. This is my biggest beef. I expected much better quality being a Ti light or Ti finish. The light looked more like Alu with some Titanium spray paint. The walls also feel very thin, whether by design or not. Both 47 logo on the bottom of the Quarks were dirty and couldn't really be cleaned. Emitter on Q123 had a black spec of visible debris out of the box. The threads are pretty thin. I think these are the only other flashlights that ever squeaked when screwing them on other than a few UltraFire types. Felt like rubbish.
thanks! please could you remove the o-ring and give an honest evaluation of the wobbliness (play) within the threads? how loose/wobbly is the head (without the o-ring) shortly before its fully tightened down onto the head?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Sure, will do later. Enjoying the High CRI. Can't remember when I had an actual penlight form factor ... light. The clip and clicky design make it look like a cheesy magician's gimmick -- perhaps like an invisible thread reel. It does feel good to hold though.

d83a5866-37cf-2f53.jpg

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the loose threads/head on my Quark AA Regular got a little annoying, particularly as I never run it in turbo/tight bezel mode (on the 1xAA, it's only 5-10% brighter). So I just disabled the Turbo/Strobe functions and now run in regular modes with a tightened bezel now.... feels real solid now.

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
How was the fit and finish of the Preon 2? I've been thinking about getting the two tone black & Ti like the one you got. Any other impressions are welcomed.

duro

Enlightened
You hit the nail on the head about the quality. I had the same thoughts when I received a 4sevens product.

ragweed

Enlightened
I think David should go with another manufacturer for the bodies. At this price point I would consider this unacceptable. My Preon is A-1 all the way!

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
After more time with the lights, I still feel the two Ti's are pretty "low quality" for the money (especially against other Ti's and the upcoming V10R Ti+). The Preon 2 High CRI is still wonderful as long as I don't have to unscrew it to change the battery. The tail button is "sticky" to which the remedy from the forums is to remove the gasket or loosen it (!). I've ordered the Mini 123, Preon 2, Preon 1 all in High CRI... with the High CRI being the redeeming factor. If Sunwayman or Fenix had High CRI I definitely wouldn't bother with 4Sevens.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Third here.

I can honestly say that I will never buy another 4sevens light. I am still amazed they still have a following at all - especially with all the choices out there now.

Anyone know of another light, other than Zebralight, that has a 300+ hrs moonlight mode on 1xAA?

(still searching for my dream EDC)

Last edited:

shane45_1911

Enlightened
Anyone know of another light, other than Zebralight, that has a 300+ hrs moonlight mode on 1xAA?

(still searching for my dream EDC)

That has nothing to do with quality. I would rather have 100 hrs of moonlight mode in a good quality light, than triple that in an inferior one.

You are confusing features with quality.

wheel

Newly Enlightened
Have to agree, been several years since I have purchased the brand and was llucky enough to sell the ones that I had at a garage sale. Now I feel better

Third here.

I can honestly say that I will never buy another 4sevens light. I am still amazed they still have a following at all - especially with all the choices out there now.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That has nothing to do with quality. I would rather have 100 hrs of moonlight mode in a good quality light, than triple that in an inferior one.

My 4sevens products have all been high quality, surviving use and abuse and feeling solid.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, everything boils down to compromises and personal preference, but you said you were amazed 4/7s still has a following.

I love high quality too, and I'm willing pay up to $200 for my next 1xAA EDC light, but I'd really, really like it to have a usable low with runtimes measured in weeks, not days. For me who loves a long-lasting moonlight, there really is zero competition to 4/7s and Zebralight.

In any case, I've no problems with any of my lights and if I did, I'm pretty comfortable the 4/7s would fix it with the best warranty in this price range. I've done a few things to button my QAA down super tight and solid... I love it.

Last edited:

rdrfronty

Enlightened
I've had nothing but great luck with my 4sevens lights. I own 5 currently in a wide variety and couldn't be happier with their quality. All work perfectly every time anytime, no mode slipping, no issues. Nice threads, good anodizing, solid feeling, & good output. And I have another on the way--a Preon 2 titanium.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I've had nothing but great luck with my 4sevens lights. I own 5 currently in a wide variety and couldn't be happier with their quality. All work perfectly every time anytime, no mode slipping, no issues. Nice threads, good anodizing, solid feeling, & good output. And I have another on the way--a Preon 2 titanium.

I'm sure they work well. I have a Preon 2 Ti as well. For the 3 47 I have so far the threading is pretty bad when compared. They feel like early circa 2006 Fenix... But not as bad as some xxxxxFire types. Also have a Preon 1 and Q123 in high CRI coming. We'll see if it's also as "not nice".

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Ok guys. Ill elaborate. I absolutely LOVE the 4sevens moonlight mode and other features. What bugs me is that it feels cheap, real cheap. Holding an E21 in your hands and comparing it to the quark aa body makes you feel that the quark is $30 and the fenix $70. HOWEVER, the HUGE features you get from the quark and moonlight is awesome.

Having experienced the moonlight mode/low lumen mode, I can safely say that I wont ever consider an EDC that does not have such a mode now. BUT the lack of quality feel you get from the quark is something I have definetely experienced. I might be wrong but its just how I feel holding the light.