My "ultimate P60 host" just got more ultimate

fyrstormer

Banned
I've shown this light off before, but I just got a new head from TnC and it's fabulous. :D

CIMG5075.jpg

CIMG5077.jpg

CIMG5078.jpg

CIMG5079.jpg

CIMG5081.jpg

The new V3 head just blows my mind. I can't believe how rugged it looks. This light is now a solid half-pound of 6-4 titanium, and all the heatsinking on the head keeps the heat comfortably away from the hand-grip. Truly it is now indestructible.

As an added bonus, in a pinch I should be able to use it as a club to kill deer after the asteroid hits and civilization crumbles. :crackup:

fyrstormer

Banned
Yes, the adaptor is a custom-made titanium E2C, also made by TnC, at my request.

Original show-off thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...imate-P60-host&highlight=my+ultimate+p60+host

I think there were 4 Ti E2Cs made; I bought 2 and sold 1 later on, and the other 2 were sold as part of pre-assembled lights from TnC. I suppose I could've bought a complete C-series compatible light from TnC, and he does have those available now, but I wanted to use a completely modular self-contained head, which the E2C allows. It also allows me to use McGizmo's excellent 2x123 Clicky Pak, which has the best pocket clip ever -- though I do have to carry this one on the outside of my pocket, unlike my smaller lights. :D

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have the flexibility - having come into the hobby at this stage all these oppertunities have passed for me unless I get lucky on the Marketplace. I was looking at this E2C adaptor and thinking of all the possibilities... I know there are Brass ones out there but a Ti one is just so cool.

I use McGizmo clips now on anything that has a Titanium body. I have bought a drill bit and tap and have successfully tapped several titanium bodies to fit his clip. Now my project is to anodise the clips to distinguish different setups.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Well, TnC's business card says "Precision CNC Machining / No Minimums", so really the only question is whether you can pay. The 2x123 Clicky Pak is available from McGizmo, and while I don't think TnC has any V3 heads available right now, there are V1 heads which are more rounded and perhaps more practical. :whistle:

I have another light that is built using a copper E2C, and it does a great job of heatsinking. If you wanted to, you could build a light like this with a copper or brass E2C, a McGizmo 2x123 Clicky Pak, a titanium V1 head, and the hottest drop-in you can find. It would work very well.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to buy the V1 head, with the flat tail in Ti (123 version). Does the Copper E2C show if you use in a Ti host and head?

While I think there are no minimums the reality is that when it is out of stock I think most custom builders are reluctant to build one off's for even a small extra premium due to time constraints.

fyrstormer

Banned
Well, yes, that's why I bought two. :)

The Copper E2C shows in the junction area between the C-series compatible head and the E-series compatible battery tube, where you see the tapered part with fins on my light.

Raze

Enlightened
Holy obscenity!

That is a fantastic one (or, two) of a kind P60 host! :thumbsup:What do you plan to use in it?

Initially I was inclined to think that the heatsinks were over-the-top a bit, but looking at it from different angles made me think otherwise. Nothing beats looking at it in-person tho.

fyrstormer

Banned
It does look a bit over the top, yes, and I find myself occasionally thinking about trading it for a V1 head with...less-aggressive...cooling fins. I'm not sure it would actually be lighter with the V1 head, though, and if I really want to lighten it I can just go back to the smooth head I used to use. To put it a different way, if I'm going to have an aggressive head on the thing, I might as well go all the way. It's still no longer and only slightly wider than a Surefire G2. :devil:

For now I'm just going to use the 2.1amp Dereelight XM-L drop-in it already has. It makes a great thrower, compared to anything else I own. I've already used it a couple times to tell the screech owls living in the woods to shut the heck up in the middle of the night. :p

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
too edgie,
too sharp,
too bulky,
... to use or to pocket, or
;)

but looking really impressive

fyrstormer

Banned
Actually, the edges are rounded just enough to avoid being sharp, but no, the edges are not beveled to be smooth and rounded. That wouldn't fit with the aesthetic of the rest of the light, anyway.

I was surprised, it does actually fit in my pocket fairly well, though the bulk of the head is noticeable unlike a smaller light. As I said, it's still approximately the same size as a Surefire C-series light, despite the almost caricaturish appearance of the head.

Raze

Enlightened
... I've already used it a couple times to tell the screech owls living in the woods to shut the heck up in the middle of the night. :p

You cracked me up at this part.

Anyway, it is a fitting post-asteroid-impact light. I would think twice to loot you (and your lights) in the post-apocalyptic world when you wield this battle mace.

The fins are not for heat-sinking. It's a DNA-collection device for evidence. Or a pain-compliance tool. :huh:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY NICE!

I bought the Al HA 26650 version, thought the Natural HA looked great & wanted long run time of the larger battery. While I prefer the V1 head I ended up with the V3 head as well.

I did buy his 18650 P60 Ti host - but he didn't have the wild cooling head at the time....., hmm makes me think....

The machining on both Ti and Al are truly second to none.

fyrstormer

Banned
You cracked me up at this part.

Anyway, it is a fitting post-asteroid-impact light. I would think twice to loot you (and your lights) in the post-apocalyptic world when you wield this battle mace.

The fins are not for heat-sinking. It's a DNA-collection device for evidence. Or a pain-compliance tool. :huh:
If by "or" you mean "inclusive or", yes. (aka, "all of the above") :devil:

The owls were fascinated by it. All I could see was their orange eyes, but they immediately stopped screeching and stared at the light, bobbing their heads periodically in an attempt to gain perspective. Then they gave each other a look like "dude, when did the sun come up? Wasn't it 2am a minute ago?"