Will this P7 work for mag mod?

freeloader700

Newly Enlightened
Hey I want to do a direct drive 3D mag.

Will this work? ( I am planning on using alkaline cells so I know there are some bins that have a lower vF that I would want)

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/W724C0-D/897-1021-1-ND/2182257

If this isn't going to work, can someone point me in the right direction to get some? and also...is $26.00 ea on the higher side?

Also, will it work for a 2D + driver build?

thanks!

Last edited:

kjelrod

Newly Enlightened
It will work ok... i would think. It wont be great and from experience alkalines dont handle current over 0.75 amps probably even less than that. I would do an XML direct drive on NIMH(let them rest after charge for 2 hrs) or get a driver and use some Lithium ions. If you are new to modding I would also suggest something mounted on a star. Illumination supply is a good source for XML's if you decide to try that route more lumens and cheaper. Great guy runs that site and is very helpful.

-Kevin

freeloader700

Newly Enlightened
Which XML would you suggest using?

I want something to eventually be in the 800-900 lumen range (after a driver) but for now something a bit less is ok.

kjelrod

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest getting a Aluminum P7 flattop HAIII heatsink from this forum. And then getting an XML T6 on 16mm star and a driver if you like from the above location. This led sits perfectly onto the heatsink. Use some artic silver and your about done. It will easily beat the P7 in performance.

-Kevin

Last edited:

freeloader700

Newly Enlightened

moderator007

Enlightened
This thread should have the information you need about heat sink and xml. With a dual 18650 in series you will need a different driver. The amc7135 driver will work for a 4 Nimh setup or single and paralleled 18650's. You can not exceed 6v with this driver. Without typing you a whole big list of possible drivers. Have a look here instead. You will need a driver that excepts your source voltage of 8.4