Best comment you've heard...

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
What is the best/worst/funniest comment, that you've ever heard when someone sees one of your lights in operation for the first time? I'm especially curious what non-flashaholics have said.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Years ago I remember getting a "Wow" from a friend and his wife for my old Arc AAA. Sounds a little strange, but at the time he carried a Solitaire.

Geoff

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was helping a co-worker just the other day in a low light situation in an electrical panel. I had out my Surefire L1 (5000k XM-L modded and RCR powered) so he could see. THREE times that day he kept saying "Damn that thing is bright."

diesel79

Enlightened
When I was ice fishing with my buddies this past winter they had some glow in teh dark jigs that needed some charging. Everytime I pulled out my light they were like "it looks like were welding something." That was using a 4Sevens AA-2 X.

Last edited:

Midnight Run

Enlightened
I was having dinner with close friends in a rather dim restaurant the other day and I whipped out my 6V XM-L Haiku to show it off.
My best bud clicked it on while pointing at the ceiling and said:
WTF! It's like the middle of the day in here!

Switched it on and off a couple of times to make sure he wasn't dreamin' while pissing off every body in the joint and asked me where he could get one of those ;).

fyrstormer

Banned
Worst comment - "Maybe that's why you keep making questionable decisions like buying $250 flashlights." (from a woman)

Best comment - "The fact that you even thought to modify a flashlight proves you're brilliant and reminds me why I want you." (also from a woman)

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me: "Hey, Johnson, check this out."
(I hand over my Scorpion V2 with turbohead, which he promptly uses to light up a three-story building across the street, and literally freaks out at the result.)
Cop: "What IS this? You can land an AIRPLANE with this thing!"

Me: "Hey, wanna see something cool?"
Co-worker: "Yeah, sure."
Me: "Okay, close your eyes."
(I blast my TN11 into my co-worker's closed eyes.)
Co-worker: "AAARRRGGHHH, IT'S GOING THROUGH MY SKULL!!"

Co-worker's friend: "You carry a flashlight?"
Co-worker: "He carries like three of them."
Me: "Uh, five."
(I proceed to take out all of my flashlights in possession.)
Co-worker's friend: "Why do you carry all that?"
Me: "So that I can do this."
(Shine my TN11 at my co-worker.)
Co-worker: "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?"
Me:
trollface_50px.png

Me: "So, did you get to use that light I got you, yet?"
(The light I'm referring to is a Scorpion V2 that I got a rookie cop who got hired not long ago.)
Cop: "Yeah, I used it on this drunk guy a few days back."
Me: "What happened?"
Cop: "Nothing. I just used the light and we took him in."
Me: "Really?"
Cop: "Yeah, I was thinking about how easy it was, until I shined the light in my face and went, 'THAT'S WHY!'"

(One of my co-workers notice my TN11.)
Co-worker: "Wait, is that the one that you can feel the HEAT COMING OUT OF?"

(I was shining my TN11 into the sky and checking out the beam.)
Friend: "Dude, stop signaling E.T."

Ishango

Enlightened
It was somewhere last year while looking for a house. I spotted some moist problems in a dark corner and used my EDC of that day, my Nitecore EX10, on maximum. The real estate agent saw it and said (in dutch) something along the lines of "That's a handy bright little light you got there, I should have something like it".

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent thread idea... I was about to start something just like this.

3 1/2 years ago:
My boss needed help to look into a drum in the warehouse. The 2D Dorcy died the second he turned it on, so I whipped out my L0D Q5 and put it on high. He then started looking UP.
my boss: "what are you doing?"
me: "holding the drum cover open"
my boss: "No, with your hand there, what are you doing"
me: "I'm lighting the inside of the drum"
my boss: "with what??" (he couldn't even see the flashlight, so I showd him"
me: (very casual) "with this"
my boss: "wow, that's a bright flashlight! I though there was a defective ceiling lamp that just turned back on"

~1 1/2 year ago:
I had to inspect an open drain in a darkened room (fluorescent dye inspection room) because the quys were complaining the chemicals I just dumped nextdoor smelled very bad. I whiped out my PD20 which runs on RCR's -which means it's always on high. The guy just loudly exclaimed THE strongest french Quebecer curse (much stronger expletive than F***)

~1 year ago:
I was at a client's site and the power went out. At one point there's a bunch of us sitting in an office just waiting for the power to come back. I "accidentally" turned on my Led Lenser M7R and then turned it off. A few people commented that they thought the power came back on until I turned it off.

Worst reaction:
At a campsite, a young employee was trying to scare off some skunks between the garbage containers by throwing rocks and water while holding what seemed to be a Strion. About an hour later my cousin and me walked back from the trail and he was still there. I asked him if he wanted a little help, which he said he wouldn't refuse, so I whipped out my TK45 and INSTANT DAYLIGHT! He immediately went around the containers and no skunks could be found. He never said a single word about the light.

Worst comment (from different people and always in a suspicious tone):
"what do you do with those flashlights?"

fyrstormer

Banned
~1 1/2 year ago:
I had to inspect an open drain in a darkened room (fluorescent dye inspection room) because the quys were complaining the chemicals I just dumped nextdoor smelled very bad. I whiped out my PD20 which runs on RCR's -which means it's always on high. The guy just loudly exclaimed THE strongest french Quebecer curse (much stronger expletive than F***)
Wow. I need to know what this Stronger-Than-The-F-Word Quebecois expletive is. Using it, I could be incredibly offensive, well-learned, and multi-cultural all at the same time!

fyrstormer

Banned
Worst comment (from different people and always in a suspicious tone):
"what do you do with those flashlights?"
"You see, sir...I am...a Vampire Hunter. *crack of lightning* That is my trade, and these are my tools. Come now, we must away before the Dark Ones report our position to the leader of their coven."

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I need to know what this Stronger-Than-The-F-Word Quebecois expletive is. Using it, I could be incredibly offensive, well-learned, and multi-cultural all at the same time!

Maybe I should have said much much more expressive, but it is stronger than the F-word in a sense, depending on how it is used. I told the uncensored verion to other flashaholics from just oustide Quebec and they really had a good laugh. My favorite story to tell in person, now.

"You see, sir...I am...a Vampire Hunter. *crack of lightning* That is my trade, and these are my tools. Come now, we must away before the Dark Ones report our position to the leader of their coven."

Hmmm... might be a good way to shut them up real quick. I might rephrase that, though, else I'll have to watch that they compose more than 3 digits if they pick up a phone before I leave...

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Hmmm... might be a good way to shut them up real quick. I might rephrase that, though, else I'll have to watch that they compose more than 3 digits if they pick up a phone before I leave...
Grab the phone. "No! you fool! Don't you see? Do you think the Dark Ones could get away with their crimes without help? If you call the police you might as well sign our death warrants! Now, we must go at once. Their spies are everywhere."

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grab the phone. "No! you fool! Don't you see? Do you think the Dark Ones could get away with their crimes without help? If you call the police you might as well sign our death warrants! Now, we must go at once. Their spies are everywhere."

LOL. I'll let you try it first.

d337944

Enlightened
The missus and I were in the market for a house at the start of 2011, and were attending Open Inspections with our RA Clicky HiCri and a 4 Sevens Preon 2 HiCri - we used them to check for cracks / leaks under sinks, around plumbing (etc) to get an idea of how well each house was maintained and look for any potential problems.

At one house (which we were very interested in) a rude and ignorant real estate salesman came over whilst we were checking out the laundry plumbing, and said "Are you from CSI or something? ... If you're playing silly buggers with the flashlights then you should leave"! :thinking:

At first we thought he was joking, then realised he was serious, and just a total nutjob trying to stop us from poking around the property and finding faults. We were totally insulted, so left before I got any angrier than I did ... I don't know who could think a couple of 40 yr olds with flashlights, checking out under the laundry sink, were "play silly buggers"???

Well, 60 mins later were making an offer on another house which was better suited ... and now we're living in that other house!

Thanks to our flashlights and the rude comments of a real estate sales man, we bought the perfect house!

Richub

Enlightened
We have these little shacks behind the house to store bicycles and spare stuff in. These have no electricity, so at night it's pitch black in there.

One night I got home and heard a neighbor swear loudly in his shack, he was trying to find something in the dark and couldn't see a thing. So me and my Fenix E05 came to the rescue. :)
He was pretty impressed with that E05, and after I told him I had more and bigger lights too he said: "So you are the guy with the searchlights in his house?"

After that I showed my TK35 to him, and his jaw just hit the floor. He honestly thought I had some big searchlights in my house, and he obviously never saw high powered LED flashlights before.
Later on, I helped him pick a decent LED flashlight for himself, a Fenix E21.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coworker sees my A2: So is that thing super bright or something?
Me: No, not really.

It was awesome.