EagleTac D25LC2 Tint

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up an EagleTac D25LC2 with the neutral (4300K) emitter. On turbo, it looks pretty good, But from high down to low, it exhibits a bit of ....green. :sick2:

Tint lottery? Typical for the neutral tint run of these lights?

I like the light, and am just using it as an EDC around town...not one of my "outdoor" lights, so I'm not that concerned about the tint, but .... green???? I would consider picking up another one, just to see if I can get a decent tint, and keep this as a second, but if the neutrals are all a little bit green, I think I'd have to go for the cool white.

Anyone else have the neutral tinted emitter version, and if so, how's the tint on yours?

If you have the cool white, is it a nice bright white, or does it have some blue in it?

AmperSand

Enlightened
This is due to EagleTac using a current control for the lower modes rather than PWM. You tend to see a bit of tint shift in the lower modes but see the _real_ tint of emitter at full drive current.
I have a cool white (6000K) model and it exhibits slightly greenish hues in the lower modes also. However its a fantastic tint in its full driven state.

Unfortunately its one of those annoying little nuances you get when going with a current controlled driver.

Either way, really nice, well thought out design in a flashlight. Only thing I miss on it is a clicky because sometimes I like to be able to access turbo first go, quickly.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a neutral D25C with a pleasant neutral tint on all levels and a neutral D25A that shows some green across all the levels. Tint lottery I would say.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I have EagleTac D25LC2 neutral and there is zero green.
ET uses a 4C tint on these, it's beautiful.

Been using my D25LC2 {18650 D25} everyday since the first week of November,
...must say, of all my lights, this is one I'll never part with.

D25LC2 = Very small 18650 light/flat regulation/no nonsense twisty/beautiful tint/nice clip/good modes/absolutely perfect beam pattern/stainless bezel/ect...

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is due to EagleTac using a current control for the lower modes rather than PWM. You tend to see a bit of tint shift in the lower modes but see the _real_ tint of emitter at full drive current.
I have a cool white (6000K) model and it exhibits slightly greenish hues in the lower modes also. However its a fantastic tint in its full driven state.

Unfortunately its one of those annoying little nuances you get when going with a current controlled driver.

Either way, really nice, well thought out design in a flashlight. Only thing I miss on it is a clicky because sometimes I like to be able to access turbo first go, quickly.
I too have a cool white version and would say this is exactly what I experience. On hi or turbo it's very bright and very white. On the lower modes it does look coloured with a green cast to it. It's not actually as bad as it first appears if you actually use it to read something or look at something close up.

Doesn't bother me though as I almost never use the lower modes.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys. They aren't pricey lights, so I may pick up a second, just to see if I l can get a better tint.

Danielight

Enlightened
I just received my D25LC2 this past Friday, and it's really a well-constructed light. Looking at the beam, I have noticed that the color is more yellowish, but that's probably to be expected from the R4 emitter. :D

sspc

Newly Enlightened
I have the cool white version and is the no doubt the greenist light I have on levels L, M and H. It's whitens up nicely in turbo, but I would not recommend this light to a tint particular person.

But, I love this thing. The smallish form factor with this much run time and this much ouput is just what I wanted.

If I could improve the light though, I would have a lower low mode as mine looks to somewhere in the 10 lumen range as it is noticeably brighter than the low on my ITP C7 (with its listed 6lm low).

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used it outside for a bit last night, mostly on high with a couple blasts on turbo, and I didn't find the tint annoying the way I do indoors, with the lower levels. It's not one of the more pleasing neutrals, but it isn't bad outside; still better than cool white.

I think Danielight may be right, it could be that it's just the tint bin of this emitter. It is simialr to some other "neutral tint" XP-G R4s. I think I just like the warmer neutrals, like the Q3 5A tinted XP-Es. So, if that's the case, maybe I need to look at the 4 Sevens HI-CRI lights, to get a more appealing tint.

Last edited:

dbare

Newly Enlightened
+

I have EagleTac D25LC2 neutral and there is zero green.
ET uses a 4C tint on these, it's beautiful.

Been using my D25LC2 {18650 D25} everyday since the first week of November,
...must say, of all my lights, this is one I'll never part with.

D25LC2 = Very small 18650 light/flat regulation/no nonsense twisty/beautiful tint/nice clip/good modes/absolutely perfect beam pattern/stainless bezel/ect...

I, too have this light and agree with your assessment, orbital. It is truly a pleasurable instrument for eliminating darkness.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

It is, just unscrew the stainless bezel.

...we demand beamshots of your results ;)

sspc

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the S2 version and I plan on using the DD method:bow: to get that perfect tint. Eagletac says the lens is "user replacable", so I assume it's easy to get the lens out?
Thanks Jonny for pointing me to that great thread by Derek, I just ordered the filters and can't wait to get a more pleasing tiny on my D25LC2

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I read this, didn't realize the end came off on the Ti ones as well.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
^

It is, just unscrew the stainless bezel.

...we demand beamshots of your results ;)

The filtering is working well, but my beamshot skills are very poor. I'm working on it..

Thanks Jonny for pointing me to that great thread by Derek, I just ordered the filters and can't wait to get a more pleasing tiny on my D25LC2

Yeah, that's an epic thread. Post some beamshots of your results if you can. :)

hatman

Enlightened
EagleTac D25LC2 CLICKY

Has anyone compared the XP-L version with the XM-L2 neutral?

How does the tint on the XP-L compare? It comes only in cool. For those who like neutral, would we hate the XP-L?