Mag 3D SST-90 Build - With a small twist

sadtimes

Enlightened
I love my direct drive Mags.. simple, user friendly, and I rarely use this size light for small jobs so different levels isnt necessary.. NiMH cells are great and wont kill my friends if I hand them the light and dont supervise them...

This was my first SST-90 build, ( I tried a SST-50 first and killed it, seems it wasnt fond of 13.5 amps lol)

This is a plain ole build for the most part, I used a DW low (rebel reflector) heatsink, a SST-90 5700k, and teflon coated 20 gauge wire (IIRC) for this.. we all know how to get this far....

Pretty standard build here with above listed items, once completed I used 3 Tenergy 10,000mah blue bateries and with my clamp meter I got 10.5 amps just at the led.. testing at the tail cap with heavy wire measured 9ish IIRC.. (of course the clamp meter is the way to go here)

While "gluing" the Led to the heatsink I applied to much pressure and managed to get a worm looking air bubble under the dome of the Led, I was depressed to say the least. This made for a not so pretty beam pattern and to top it off it just didnt seem to focus the light down the the pencil beam I had been hoping that it would..

Fast forward a couple of days and I got to thinking, lets just go on and remove the dome and see what happens ( Ive read on here on more than one occasion that it increases the throw). So I did just that, and VOILA! it made the artifacts in my beam disappear and did in fact make the beam become smaller (more throw).

So I got to thinking again.. what if the heatsink would go farther into the mag tube? Surely it would increase the beam tightness and increase the throw.. So the SST-50 heatsink that was sitting being used only as a paper weight became my test subject.. I grabbed the dremel and went to town grinding the lip off of it.. 15 mins later I had a heatsink that would slide all the way into the Mag tube.. It actually goes down and hits the top of the switch/ switch retaining ring..

Add some bourbon to the mix and I was ready to grind the SST-90 heatsink.. I covered my newly dedomed SST-90 with a small peice of packing material and started grinding.. Once I was done I found that at max depth in the Mag tube the led was much lower than I had started out with, If you roll the focus out (unscrew the Mag head) until the led is just a tiny hair below the reflector and you have one hell of a beam! Man does it throw!!! And has enough spill that it has become the perfect light!!

And of course, this wouldnt be right without these =-)

Distance to the dog pen is about 200-220ft (Im no expert so all distances are guestimets at best, I have a dog run line that runs from the back of the shed ((in pic with Miata)) to just inside the wood line and it is around 260 feet, distances based off that)

Distance to the back corner of the field is probable 350ish feet(maybe around 400 from the porch Im standing on)

To the inside of the shed maybe 80ish feet

I wanted full size pics in the thread but couldnt quite get it to work, feel free to tell me how to do it lol

Last edited:

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
are you using the LED Mag host or just the reflector of the LED Mag with the incan Mag host?

Very impressive pictures though. But keep in mind that the phosphor will degrade.
About a year ago I dedomed a SST-90 but covered the surface with optical silicon in order to prevent the degradation.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?305480-Another-de-doming-experiment
However the LED was used with the incan reflector so I didn't know that the dedomed SST-90 has that much throw with the LED Mag reflector.

sadtimes

Enlightened
are you using the LED Mag host or just the reflector of the LED Mag with the incan Mag host?

Very impressive pictures though. But keep in mind that the phosphor will degrade.
About a year ago I dedomed a SST-90 but covered the surface with optical silicon in order to prevent the degradation.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?305480-Another-de-doming-experiment
However the LED was used with the incan reflector so I didn't know that the dedomed SST-90 has that much throw with the LED Mag reflector.

Is there a difference in the incan and led host, I thought it was the reflector...

Where can I get some of the optical silicon? lol

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
Yes, there is a difference. The threadsection of the LED Mag host is shorter so that the heatsink sits deeper in the host therefore you don't have to trimm off the lips of the heatsink.

I don't know where you can get that stuff. I found that stuff at work where it was used to couple lasers, fiberoptics and things like that. You can also build decent small optics with that by machining a mold out of plastic.
There is no part number or manufacturer printed on it, just a handwriting saying it is optical silicone. It's already out of expiry date but it works fine.

It is a 2 component silicone which needs to be mixed in a small vacuum chamber or at least low preasure chamber in order to get rid off bubbles. Then it has to cure at around 80°C in an oven after applying.

sadtimes

Enlightened
I'm positive that it was a led host. I've got both so I will compare and report back.

You can throw some of that optical silicon in my order if you want :). (Even though I don't have a low pressure chamber lol)

I'm gonna run by the eye Dr office and see if they have something similar.. lol

sadtimes

Enlightened
I read somewhere that it starts to get too hot at 10A

Well then.. I am defintely putting it through its paces.. Everytime I turn this thing on a smile appears on my face..

Building another one soon, not going to dedome it and compare the difference in throw..

CMAG

Enlightened
keep in mind that the phosphor will degrade.
How long de domed sst90 last without silicone

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two things:

1) To quickly identify Maglites that come stock with an LED, look for serial numbers beginning with "DL".

(I realize you are positive, but for others...)

2) You can use Google Maps or Google Earth to quickly map distances that are accurate enough for beamshot distance estimates.

schmidtae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks drmalenko for helping with my 3C build. The P7 works beautifully!! Looking forward to building my 3D LED as soon as I can get the parts. I think I'll wait before attempting the de doming though.

schmidtae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again drmalenko for the SST 90 build. My 3D SST 90 is pulling a steady 11.5 amps. Can't wait till my buddy can bring over his meter and see just how many lumens are coming out the front of this beast. Has to be 2000+ .This light rocks !!! I'm thinking about a SBT 90 next in the 6500K range, hmmm..

Latest posts