Need your advice! What to do with Surefire 9P (poll inside)

How should I set up my 9P?

• M31 with AA's

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • M60/61

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Neither, I"ll explain in my post

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I'm torn about how to set up a new 9P body I acquired. I have P90/P91 lamps which I will use with rechargeables from time to time, but primarily I would like it to be an LED powered setup.

Here are the poll options (and what I'm kicking around in my head):

1. Buy a Malkoff M31 & a battery sleeve and run it on 2xAA because at this time I do not have a good, reliable AA powered flashlight

2. Buy a Malkoff M60/61 and run it on pretty much anything I want (primaries, rechargeables, even AA's in a pinch)

3. Something completely different I haven't even thought about yet!

Thanks in advance for allowing me to dip into the wealth of knowledge that is the CPF collective :)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 9P with a Malkoff M91W runned by 3xCR123. A smooth floody beam with a wonderful tint. It's the first ever LED which gives me a true feeling of holding an incandescent in my hand, similar to a 40W home light bulb in brightness.
But if you want to use it with AAs M31 is a good choice of course, best in warm option, in my personal opinion. M60/61 will be unregulated with AAs and with a very fast dropping brightness from the beginning using alkalines, but I guess it should be significantly better result with lithiums.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'm actually in the process of setting up 9P/C3 lights for two co-workers with Malkoff M31's. I did this for my 2xAA / 1xCR123 car light, and they were so impressed with its flexibility that they are having me put together the parts for theirs.

I've updated my setup since this last pic but the concept is demonstrated reasonably well here. Utilizing the spacer, I can run single CR123's as well as the 'normal' 2xAA configuration.

M31Setupwtext.jpg

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Swedpat. I thought about the M91, but the higher voltage requirements gave me pause based on needing to run at least 3 primaries, or two 3.7v li-ions. It is still in the back of my mind though, just for the sheer volume of light output.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in light output (and how much) between running alkalines vs. eneloops on a M31? I can put 2xAA on my M61 and the while the alkalines produce very useable light, the eneloops don't do much more than a moon mode. I would primarily use Eneloops if I were to go with the M31 option.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kestrel, that is EXACTLY what I'm thinking (if I go with the M31). I have two CR123 spacers that could be used in the exact same fashion as your two-CR123 spacer..

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Does anyone know if there is a difference in light output (and how much) between running alkalines vs. eneloops on a M31?
I have tested this and there is no discernable difference in output. However, the alkaline chemistry is pretty inefficient at the high drain rate of the full-power M31; 2xAA Alkalines provide a runtime of only ~20 minutes, whereas 2xAA NiMH's are good for ~1h 10 min. BTW 1xCR123 runs for ~45 minutes.

I still think that the alkaline configuration is worthwhile to discuss because of its usability in an emergency.

Kestral, that is EXACTLY what I'm thinking (if I go with the M31). I have two CR123 spacers that could be used in the exact same fashion as your two-CR123 spacer..
The advantage of being able to use single CR123's (of various charge states) is also attractive. As the years go by and the rare incidents accumulate, I am less and less interested in using multiple CR123's in series due to the potential for cell mismatch even in new-production cells. This approach avoids that potential issue.

Edit: BTW I am moving this thread to the /LED Flashlights/ subforum, as it is a better fit there.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have two CR123 spacers that could be used in the exact same fashion as your two-CR123 spacer..
BTW I would recommend against using a pair of spacers for this. If you were doing a cell change in the dark (or in a rush), it would be far too easy to mix things up and insert a pair of CR123's and only one spacer. :poof: to the M31 and now you're in trouble.

With a single long spacer, it feels far different in the hands and prohibits a 2xCR123 installation by mistake.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW I would recommend against using a pair of spacers for this. If you were doing a cell change in the dark (or in a rush), it would be far too easy to mix things up and insert a pair of CR123's and only one spacer. :poof: to the M31 and now you're in trouble.

With a single long spacer, it feels far different in the hands and prohibits a 2xCR123 installation by mistake.

Good point. Any idea where I can get a 2x123 spacer?

I ordered the singles from AW's sales thread, and I've been really happy with them.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Given the lights that you already have, I think you would find the M31 to possibly be redundant. Something you don't have is a big light. Like the previous commenter said, the M91W is a truly marvelous light. It can light up a very large area, unlike anything you currently have. You could run it off of 2 18500's, or get an A19 extender for your 9P and run it off 2 18650s.

That is what I would do with the 9P. Now if you are looking for a solid AA based light, why not go with the Malkoff 2AA Twisty. The thing Im not a huge fan of with using AA's in the Surefire's is that they weren't designed for it. I know you can grab a sleeve and all that but I dont know, just seems unnatural. You could flip the body on the MP for 40 bucks and put it towards a 2aa Twisty and M31. Then you have the whole reliable package built from the ground up that's designed for AAs. No sleeves necessary. How often are you going to be using all different battery types with it? If its for some kind of BOB than you would probably have one of your 6ps in there anyways. If for some weird reason you were down to 1 CR123 left you could just put it with a spacer in a 6p, and then drop your M31 in there. But from a day to day regular standpoint I think the twisty is the way to go.

And since you're here, you'll probably end up with both of them anyways.

Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm actually in the process of setting up 9P/C3 lights for two co-workers with Malkoff M31's. I did this for my 2xAA / 1xCR123 car light, and they were so impressed with its flexibility that they are having me put together the parts for theirs.

I've updated my setup since this last pic but the concept is demonstrated reasonably well here. Utilizing the spacer, I can run single CR123's as well as the 'normal' 2xAA configuration.

M31Setupwtext.jpg

Sorry to derail the thread, but where did you get that reuseable desiccant set - cool! I need something like that for some storage bins. I've only been able to find overpriced and potentially not reusable bags - I'm not sure if I can even heat the bags.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Also I just, somehow I hadn't previously.. but I just realized that my M61LL runs off of 2 Eneloops. Amazing. Someone posted that they got 14 hours out of that setup in a 9P.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider the new Lumens Factory High CRI XPG drop-in [single or 3 mode] w/ good output [Q5 bin]. Both Illumination Supply & LightHound stock them, IS has it on sale for $22. Well made and the 3 mode has well spaced levels. And it will work in your 9P.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the votes/replies. I was able to find a used M60 and purchased it for use in this 9P. I wanted to do something AA specific at first, but given the Malkoff M60/61 unit's ability to run on 2xAA, I'll get the best of both worlds this way.

Thanks again!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Sorry to derail the thread, but where did you get that reuseable desiccant set - cool! I need something like that for some storage bins. I've only been able to find overpriced and potentially not reusable bags - I'm not sure if I can even heat the bags.
I know what you mean, those reusable metal canisters are just the ticket for long-term usage. Here is a link to them at the Cabela's website, there are a few different sizes.

Thanks for all the votes/replies. I was able to find a used M60 and purchased it for use in this 9P. I wanted to do something AA specific at first, but given the Malkoff M60/61 unit's ability to run on 2xAA, I'll get the best of both worlds this way.
Please keep us updated on how it works out regarding outputs from various cell configurations. I am unsure how satisfactory of an output the M60 would provide from 2xAA NiMH's.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please keep us updated on how it works out regarding outputs from various cell configurations. I am unsure how satisfactory of an output the M60 would provide from 2xAA NiMH's.

I should've clarified that I'm not expecting more than 20-30 lumens out of a 2xAA config, but it beats being in the dark!

Question for you (or anyone else in the know). I'm currently planning on running either 2x17500, or a 17670 with a dummy CR123 spacer. Any suggestions as to which would be the better combination, and pros/cons with each?