Fenix PD20 R5 from Low does not go into Mid, High, nor SOS with soft presses

jaltone

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Fenix PD20 R5 from Amazon and it arrived today. I put in a brand new Energizer 123 Lithium battery in it. I tightened the front bezel, loosened it slightly, then turned it on. The Fenix PD20 R5 went on in Low mode as expected--I determined its output level by comparing it side by side with my 3-year old Fenix LD10 Q5. So far so good. But subsequent soft presses do not make the Fenix PD20 R5 go into Mid, High, nor SOS modes. Tightening the front bezel does make it go into Turbo mode, but a soft press from there does not make it cycle into Strobe mode as expected. So it's as if I only have either Low mode or Turbo mode changeable by loosening or tightening the front bezel. The soft presses do not change anything at all. Is this a manufacturing defect, and should I return it to Amazon for an exchange? Or is this a fault in the design of the Fenix PD20 R5, and should I just avoid this particular model?

Alex

jaltone

Newly Enlightened
Don't bother replying to this one, I figured it out by experimentation. With my 3-year old Fenix LD10 Q5 a soft-press-then-quickly-release produces the expected cycles. Muscle memory made me do the same with the new Fenix PD20 R5 that arrived today, and it does not work with the Fenix PD20 R5. Knowing that these Fenix flashlights are reverse clicky, I experimented and discovered that with the Fenix PD20 R5 one has to do a soft-press-wait-a-second-then-release to produce the expected cycles. Problem solved.