Maglite Idea

Viper031

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Well ever since I purchased my SureFire (about a month ago) I've been into the whole flashlight thing. I was thinking about getting another SureFire (e1b) but I'm putting those plans on hold and I'm thinking about Maglite.

Anyway I am planning on buying a 6D Cell Maglite and outfitting it with TERRALUX 1000 LUMENS LED UPGRADE BULB for MAGLITE D CELL FLASHLIGHT TLE-310MEX and ebay Item number: 330691832672

I would probably get two of everything and keep it in strategic locations in the house just in case of a unexpected power outage, fire, or natural disaster.

So, does my idea seem worthwhile or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
I have the 700 lumen version in a 3D body. I use a 6 volt rechargeable battery stick from the Magcharger. I also run four "C" cells slid into 1 inch/sch.40 PVC pipe. Just reverse the tailcap spring and sand away the anodizing on the inside of the tailcap for proper ground contact. The 6D will give you the same output but longer runtimes compared to the shorter bodies. I have also found that rechargeable batteries will give a higher output compared to alkalines. Battery Junction sells a good conversion kit.

Last edited:

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
1000 lumens in a 6-D. That's cool. I'd say it depends on what's the duty cycle you're using it for... or what are you trying to do with it... If you're trying to light up a spot in a yard, that'll work great... So I have a 6-D with the Terrlaux TLE-6EX (140 lumens). It throws over 400 yards. I use it to find my dogs sometimes, so I light up the entire yard (since I can still focus) then when I see their eyes, I focus in on a spot and go get 'em. Now, when the power goes out, I can unscrew the focuser or optical lens and go into "candle mode" with the largest candle you've ever seen that runs for 300+ hours that'll light up the entirety of any room.

But 1000 lumens in a 6D is pretty cool....even in a 4D. But the battery won't last as long. And there's no throw... Personally, I'd put 1000 lumens in the Mag Charger. Because the MagCharger has on board electronics with hi-low-strobe-SOS settings.

Last edited:

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a 6D and a 3D and a MagCharger. Was going to go for the 310 too, although I'm going for the MR version for my MagCharger.

I love the big old Mags, sure you can buy smaller and maybe more powerful, but the Mags are nice to use and solid.

A 4D should run the drop in you want to use though if you want more compact, as it's regulated a 6D will only offer increased run time. Or you could get a 3D with a MagCharger NiMh 6v pack or a 2D and mod it to run on 2 x 18650's.

D cells offer good mAH but as they are alkaline they may leak and not like the cold. Recently I bought some cheap 2AA to D cell converters so I can run AA Eneloops or lithium primaries in my D cell flashlights. Total run time is lower, but it's just a different option instead of alkalines or expensive rechargeable D cells.

ficklampa

Newly Enlightened
Personally I wouldn't go with that much lumen, feels like it will run down the batteries very fast and powerouttages might last long depending on what's wrong. Also might not be of much use since it will simply be too much for your (or other peoples) eyes. I'd go for maybe 300-500 lumen instead, will do just fine...

Just my 10 cent.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I wouldn't go with that much lumen, feels like it will run down the batteries very fast and powerouttages might last long depending on what's wrong. Also might not be of much use since it will simply be too much for your (or other peoples) eyes. I'd go for maybe 300-500 lumen instead, will do just fine...

Just my 10 cent.
I believe the drop in is 3 mode with a 100 lumen low setting, although I don't know how they perform on such settings.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

The 6D Maglite is too long for indoor use.
Runtime is more important than uber-brightness. You also need to be able to put the light down and light up the room for an extended period of time. You cannot use that Terralux in candle mode.

A 2D LED Maglite. You can use it in both candle mode to light up a room or as a flashlight. 100 lumens is plenty in a pitch black situation (134 lumens in the latest version).

Alternatively I'd go for the Elektrolumens Anglelux.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?227663-Anglelux-XPG-goodness
You can sit it on its back (the belt clip is wide enough to stop it from rolling) and illuminate a whole room via ceiling bounce.***
You can put it in the corner of a room and light up a room that way.***
You can pick it up and use it as a flashlight.
*** Unlike a Maglite no need to take the head off to get area light.

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

The 6D Maglite is too long for indoor use.
Runtime is more important than uber-brightness. You also need to be able to put the light down and light up the room for an extended period of time. You cannot use that Terralux in candle mode.

What? Sure you can use it indoors. I just did it last week.

When I want to light up a room via ceiling bounce, I just point my little XL50 up at the ceiling. It works, but opening up the 6D with a 140 lumen Terralux and standing it up is like having 6 old hurricane kerosene lamps on one table. That's what we used to use.

Now when you walk around a dark neighborhood or forest with a 6D in candlemode held over your head, it's like the olden days of carrying a flaming torch in the night (a real wooden torch wrapped with fabric dipped in tar)... no dark spots anywhere...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A power outage/emergency house light needs max runtime, not output. Once your entire neighborhood is pitch black, you'll find a ceiling-bounced ~100 lumens is plenty for large living areas, ~25 for bed and bath; higher light levels just put more light on what you can already see and reduce runtime. The goal is to provide just enough light for tasks and to use batteries efficiently, not to light everything up as bright as when the power is on - if you want that, invest in a generator.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 6D Mag with one of the older 3-mode 3xLED Terralux drop-ins in it. I do consider the 6D Mag a bit too long and unweildy to be really useful, especially indoors, I generally prefer the 4D Mag for most tasks.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought that exact same Terralux upgrade on ebay for my 6D. It's really bright and I don't find it too big to the point of being unusable. I actually added a 2D extension and run it on 8D's.

Just for kicks I bought some more extensions and have it on 11D's right now. If the power does go out for long periods, I would put the light at the center of the room, stand it on end, and light up the whole room for hours on end. The drop in has 3 modes so the low setting would last for hours without any problem

Viper031

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the responses.

I still think I am going to go with the 6D Cell Maglite with the Terralux.

I understand that the 6D cell is big and heavy but I really like the battery capacity and I can use it during prolonged peroids without worrying about it. For everyday tasks I'll just use my SureFire.
I also like that it can be used as an impact tool so if I need to break glass or other materials during a fire or natural disaster situation it has that added advantage.

Now, I'm curious about those battery extensions.

I think I am also going buy the Terralux drop in because even though on high it greatly reduces the battery life, during a prolonged outage I can put it on medium or low and only use the high setting when I need a lot of light.

Thanks again,

Ken

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
A power outage/emergency house light needs max runtime, not output. Once your entire neighborhood is pitch black, you'll find a ceiling-bounced ~100 lumens is plenty for large living areas, ~25 for bed and bath; higher light levels just put more light on what you can already see and reduce runtime. The goal is to provide just enough light for tasks and to use batteries efficiently, not to light everything up as bright as when the power is on - if you want that, invest in a generator.

Yup, agreed. I have one of those twisty Rayovac 1xAAA cheapies that walmart sells and it's almost too much. I'm thinking hard about maybe a TK50 to have around on 3 lumen setting ceiling-bounced since I've seen what the dark house looks like with 3 actually coming out the front. (and the advertised runtime on the TK50 looks ungodly on that setting) All my previous lights must be judging by the emitter. Plus the 255 lumen throw would be there if needed. I'd rather save the battery juice for the radio than to have an excessive amount of lumens glaring off the ceiling.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
~2 lumens ceiling-bounced is about right to light your immediate area if you're by yourself and don't need to read.

Nope, no reading. (I do most of that on a tablet/phone now anyways) Just chillin in the recliner while fiddling with the shortwave, or maybe Coast To Coast on the AM dial. :)

We have a transformer in the area that the lightning for some odd reason really seems to favor each stormy season.

Latest posts