No honor amongst theives....

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Well, even though my girlfriend had been concerned about living where she does, she was just going to wait until the housing market picked up to sell...now, we're both trying to figure out how to get her and her girls the hell out of this city!!

Evidently, somewhere between 430 and 9pm tonight, some DIRTBAG(S) broke into the house, and selectively took anything of value(e.g. 55" LCD TV, 32" flatscreen, etc). But, it REALLY pissed me off when I realized that ALL of my girlfriends jewelry was taken,including her keepsake rings from her grandparents (who are long since deceased) along with a diamond tennis bracelet I JUST gave her last week for our anniversary(I saved up for quite awhile for that)! Here's the really strange part- they stole ALL of her flashlights, which included a custom Steve Ku 38DD that I had mounted on a sterling silver necklace AND both of her Lumapower lights- an Incendio and an EX with a turboforce kit I bought her last year.They also stole her teenage daughters clothing, which, to me is utterly ridiculous!

Why would you take the time to go through and steal girls clothing, but leave behind things like a bluray player and a surround sound system?? Theives make absolutely NO SENSE to me anyway, but, to steal clothing and not electronics makes no sense. They COMPLETELY ripped apart my gf's bedroom but barely touched her daughters' rooms, except to take their Ipods, kindles and their clothes out of their closets. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this....steal flashlights but not a bluray player....clothing but not a surround sound system....maybe they needed the flashlights for another heist? I'm just utterly disgusted...

flashflood

Enlightened
So sorry to hear that. The worst thing about being robbed isn't that they take your money, it's that they take things you can never replace.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sad part of this is that they probably will sell the items for one percent of the value to buy drugs.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very sorry to hear of this horrible violation - if only there was real justice in this world.

Don't even try to think about what they did and why they didn't do this or that. The only logic they follow is to take items they already know they can sell, that they know will be easy to sell, that they like themselves and that they hope will not be easily traceable.

The amount of damager they do depends on how much time they had, if they were disturbed, if they felt they spent too much time and how easily they found things.

The trouble is that there are enough other people with no morals who will buy cheap stolen goods, and this is what keeps it going. If everyone refused to have anything to do with dodgy cheap things they would have nowhere to offload the goods and would then stop thieving and probably take up more violent crime and rob people. Where is Judge Dredd when you need him!

Last edited:

87james

Newly Enlightened
So sorry to hear that. I could feel the anger in your case. Luckily, you and your family were safe through. I know it is awful losing things significate. But you keep the most important --safety. Hope this won't happen to you.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear about the great loss, but just to help you understand why they took what they did, thieves are people too and they take what they want. In other words, you can assume that any small item that looks valuable or useful, will be taken.
They also have kids of their own and knowing how expensive clothes are, they took what they thought could be used.

Hope you guys are okay in getting through this and that you can get moved some time soon.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Sorry that happened .......

But please consider investing in some kind of Alarm System .

Prefferably one you could install yourself - then remove and take with you ......

when you move to another location .

~

fonaryk

Newly Enlightened
~

Sorry that happened .......

But please consider investing in some kind of Alarm System .

Prefferably one you could install yourself - then remove and take with you ......

when you move to another location .

~

I feel your pain;I have been through it. Two words "Burglar Bomb"! Foolproof.Inexpensive and painful.

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Thats is terrible! Im sorry for you. Last year something like that happened to me as well. Luckly i was in the house and kicked the thief's ***(sort of), the guy was so fast that he got out of the house by the window( big one) and got in his car in a split of a second. The guy was a Pro in the Parkour art. The bad thing is that i was unarmed and he scaped. The good is that he was also unarmed and i was at home because i was lazy to go to my internship that day.
If my GF was there instead of me that would be another story.... Which i get red just to think about. I remember i couldnt sleep for weeks after that. Now i always have a knife and a flashlight set on turbo by my bed, just in case. I hope that Son of a ****** who broke into your house endup in jail! Or get shot in the next house he goes to....it just pisses me off!

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
There's no point saying things like "why didn't they steal X, Y, and Z? They're worth so much more than A, B, and C!" They stole what they felt like stealing, and they probably didn't bring an auction appraiser with them to estimate the resale values of everything in the apartment. The real violation is they broke in and stole things, don't get sidetracked by analyzing their choices; that only leads to speculating about whether buying different stuff as replacements will prevent further thefts in the future, and that's not how theft works. They don't decide to break in based on what stuff you have, because they don't even know what you have until after they break in.

Alert local pawn shops to be on the lookout for the antique jewelry. One good thing about antiques is they're usually pretty easy to identify, since most of the original production units have long since been thrown away.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank goodness you and your family are safe! Work with neighbors and local pawn shops. They are required to maintain a list of reported-stolen goods so that they aren't used as fence fronts. Stay safe and get out of there when you can!

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your replies!

The detectives came over yesterday to "dust" and see if they could recover any fingerprints. However, none were recovered- what the detective told me (and this is kind of interesting) is that winter is the worst time to recover prints for two reaons: one, because people wear gloves (duh) and, because peoples hands are "drier" in the winter so that its very tough to recover prints.

The larger issue here is that now one of my gf's daughters outright refuses to come back home, and has spent the last two nights at her friends house. She's obviously freaked out, upset and angry, but, she obviously cant stay over her friends from here on out. We're going to sit her down today and tell her that we are getting an alarm system and that its very likely the theives wont come back.

After canvassing the neighborhood on our own, we discovered something odd- it turns out three houses on our street have been robbed in the last month, and, that all three of them are (or were, in my gf's houses case) occupied by Law Enforcement officers. The detective who was processing the robbery made sure to make note of that little factoid and just shook his head....:scowl:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The odd thing about this usage (we'll leave the spelling of thieves alone) is that the actual usage of the phrase 'honor amongst thieves' or 'no honor amongst thieves' has no real application here, as taking it's literal meaning, the suggestion is that those who were burglarized were thieves themselves.

Not being the case, just a liberal usage of the term.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear about what happened. The part about them stealing her daughter's clothes means only one thing . . . One of the low-lives has a child. I don't mean a kidnapped one. I mean one who calls him "daddy."

Yup, to a low-life thief, he provides for his children by stealing things such as clothing from decent parents.

Colinsdad

Newly Enlightened
Besides the post about my usage of no honor among thieves (thanks for your thoughts on the subject-I'm aware of the gist of the saying; I was merely using a bit of poetic license with it ), I completely agree that things could have been much worse! As it is, it would appear that there is a whole bunch of house robberies being perpetrated in adjacent towns- maybe the same group, as they are targeting the same items.

As far as the clothing goes, there is a store in the local mall that you can "sell" your used clothing back to, so, I'm guessing thats where we will find our missing clothing....

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, this is simple. They stole the jewelery to pawn for money. They stole the flashlights as tools for future burglaries. So why did they steal a teenage girl's clothes? Isn't it obvious? They needed disguises so the cops wouldn't recognize them. Be on the lookout for the ugliest looking teenage girls you ever saw.

All joking aside, I hope you find them soon.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Um, I hate to throw this out there...

It sounds like its someone who knew her daughter.