Maglite 2 & 3 D cell lights upgrade to LED question.

Hooterville

Newly Enlightened
I have a few 2 & 3 D cell Maglites that I was thinking about upgrading to LED. I'm just wondering if the Terralux LED upgrades are as good as what comes stock in a new LED Maglite?
Thanks.

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
The 140 lumen Terralux upgrade is actually way brighter than the OEM LED Maglite. I have a 3-D upgraded and my mother has a Maglite 2D LED. New Duracells installed in both in a back to back. I was pleasantly surprised.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Offical Mag LED D cells have been through 2 or 3 variants, newer ones I think are around 134 lumens and perform quite well.

That said, if you are in the UK have a look at The Torch Site. They do a 180 lumen (LED) CREE XPE and a 200 lumen (LED) XPG R5 drop in. I've got both and both are very nice. The XPE seems to focus to a tighter hot spot and offers more throw, but the XPG does light a bigger area with slightly brighter spill.

Both work in a 3D (4v+), I think lower voltage options are available for the 2D.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
kia domain ? 3s ? you lost me

Kai Domain = online seller, has lots of interesting flashlight stuff, along with a ton of non-flashlight stuff.

3s = three batteries positive to negative in series (in a row). This multiplies the voltage while retaining the capacity. Conversely, 3p is three batteries in parallel (side by side), meaning the voltage remains the same, but capacity is increased three fold.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP, the newer Maglites are built with the led mounted to the switch assembly, unlike the PR bulb type assembly most people are familiar with. The new mags are not user upgradable. They are pretty bright for what they are and they throw a long way.

I've got a Malkoff XP-G dropin that is much brighter than the stock XP-E Maglite, but the Maglite out throws the Malkoff. This is due to having a smaller emitter surface as well as an led specific reflector.

The current Maglite led is brighter than the Terralux 140 lumen dropin (Terralux is led lumens, not otf), however the Terralux has a much nicer tint that makes it better to use IMHO.

Last edited:

RIX TUX

Enlightened
Kai Domain = online seller, has lots of interesting flashlight stuff, along with a ton of non-flashlight stuff.

3s = three batteries positive to negative in series (in a row). This multiplies the voltage while retaining the capacity. Conversely, 3p is three batteries in parallel (side by side), meaning the voltage remains the same, but capacity is increased three fold.
thx......the adapters I meant are the ones that an aa battery fits in the plastic d size shell.
with an led emitter the aa's should run a decent time?

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
The Terralux single LED drop-in is brighter than the first gen Mag-LED. I think it uses a Rebel LED. The latest LED Mags use a Cree XP-E emitter, which is brighter. The Mag-Pro 2d uses and XP-G, which is even brighter, but the throw is a bit less.

If you have an older Mag that you want to upgrade, the Terralux is a good option. It throws pretty far, and has a good color. However, you might actually be able to get the Mag-LED Cree version for a similar price if you happen to catch one on sale. Be aware that the newest incandescent Mags use a bi-pin bulb with an adapter. The retaining collar is slightly different and may not work with the Terralux upgrade.

I unfortunately fried my Terralux drop in by over-driving it. I got some serious brightness but I think it overheated or something, as it is barely glows now. I guess experimentation has it's prices.

Side note: I have seen a similar drop in (looks like the same circuit board and housing) with a Cree LED made by another company called HQRP. It's supposedly between 180-200 lumens. I might try one.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
The Terralux single LED drop-in is brighter than the first gen Mag-LED. I think it uses a Rebel LED. The latest LED Mags use a Cree XP-E emitter, which is brighter. The Mag-Pro 2d uses and XP-G, which is even brighter, but the throw is a bit less.

If you have an older Mag that you want to upgrade, the Terralux is a good option. It throws pretty far, and has a good color. However, you might actually be able to get the Mag-LED Cree version for a similar price if you happen to catch one on sale. Be aware that the newest incandescent Mags use a bi-pin bulb with an adapter. The retaining collar is slightly different and may not work with the Terralux upgrade.

I unfortunately fried my Terralux drop in by over-driving it. I got some serious brightness but I think it overheated or something, as it is barely glows now. I guess experimentation has it's prices.

Side note: I have seen a similar drop in (looks like the same circuit board and housing) with a Cree LED made by another company called HQRP. It's supposedly between 180-200 lumens. I might try one.
did you ever use 2 aa eneloops in a d cell light?