Which Rechargable Best for Auto

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I have very limited experience with rechargable lights. Other than my SL UltraStinger and Optomics 2-mill spotlight, I've never messed with rechargables. I'd like to get a rechargable to mount and leave in the car. I guess I could put an US in there, but was wondering what other options I might have.

Have any of you actually mounted a rechargable into an auto and leave it in there? How does it hold up to the cold of the winter and the heat of the summer? I probably wouldn't leave it charging all the time (definately not while the ignition is off at least).

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've found that the ones you can charge the battery seperately from the light works best. That way you will have continuous use. The SL piggy back charger works great for this or SF chargers that charge the battery out of the light.

I have had the CN400 charger for the B90 direct wired to my battery for about a year now and never had any problems. It would take weeks for the battery to run down if left charging.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have a "direct line" routed to the glovebox to power a CN400 B90 charger. I use it when I travel with a SureFire requiring such batteries. It's good to have the option of car charging even if I have AC mains access too.

I'd pick a flashlight that is brightly coloured for quick location. Something like the 8NX-YL.

Al

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had a sl20x in my truck for around 6-8mos before my ul "8 replaced it. i would just bring it in the house every month or so to top off, even though i had a car charger.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Have you guys mounted the charging base or just leaving lying loose? I was thinking of somehow mounting the charger for eithe the HP or US on the side of the center console or straight up at the back of the console.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
didn't mount it, i couldn't bring myself to put holes in my truck.

don't see the point unless you're using it alot. i'd just bring it upstairs every month and charge overnight.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray,
I have an original SF 9N that came with a car mount with a built-in hard wire charger. I mounted it permanently in my old Subaru. I did add an on/off toggle switch so it wouldn't be charging all the time when using the car. I flip the toggle on every so often to keep it "topped off". It's been through temperatures above 100 degrees and in sub-freezing temperatures, (in fact we have 3' of snow here as I type this), and I've had no problems. I'm always a little amazed though that everytime I go to use it, it lights up brightly considering what it goes through. I do have to admit, like some of the gents above, I bring the light in once in awhile and discharge the cell fully and recharge it on a SF fast charger.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I think I'm going with the US for a couple reasons.

1. I know what the US can do as far as output and throw, however I never have left it on long enough to guage runtime.
2. Although not 3D-MAG in length, I do beleive it could be use to whack someone if the situation ever came up.
3. Since I have an US that's mounted in my kitchen, it gives me a parts inventory (including a charged cell) by default.

lumentic

Newly Enlightened
I've had a SL20 in a vehicle charger for almost 15 years. I've had to replace a couple of battery modules over the years, and once sent it back for a new switch assembly which was no fault of the vehicle deployment.

I just leave it in there all the time and it's there when I need it. It does not see any heavy usage, and often goes for months without being used at all.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by this_is_nascar:

2. Although not 3D-MAG in length, I do beleive it could be use to whack someone if the situation ever came up.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">this always comes to mind when looking at a new light. i think it's my favorite "qualification" too.
grin.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
If "whack factor" is important, I'd give some serious thought to mounting it. That way you *know* where it is, and can grab it one handed. Plus, one of the great things about owning a car is having the ability to drill all the holes you want in it. (Speaking as one who has an NMO antenna mount right in the center of the trunk.
smile.gif
)