All ArmyTek Predator tints in one place. Updated! Over 80 beamshots and GIF's!

Which tint do you prefer?

• 1C (cool white)

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • 2T (greenish but S2)

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • 5C (neutral white)

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • 90CRI (warm incandescent-like)

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • none of them!

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • it depends...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
Big comparison of four ArmyTek Predator XP-G tints
Winter - 1C, Spring - 2T, Summer - 5C, Fall - 90CRI. :)

From left to right: R5 1C, S2 2T, R4 5C, Q2 90CRI

As you can see on the Cree chart they covers wide range of available CCT's of currently produced white LED's.

S2 2T bin is rare bin in ArmyTek offer, I hope they will provide it for us permanently. It is rare occassion to compare such a broad tints range from the same flashlight in one place at one moment. I'm going to make new sessions continuously across many places and atmospherics conditions in this year as time allows. My camera, Canon EOS 40D can capture high quality images and the only limitation is availability of interesting sites for beamshot sessions. But we will see...:) I decided to join all shots in one big JPEG file which is nice to download, open and compare in web browser. I will add animated gif's and videos in the near future.:)

Session 1: "Foggy winter near the city"

How does 331lm 90CRI stand for the 500lm S2?

2sec, f/4, ISO400 exposure, last set of pictures (graffiti dummy tank) on ISO200.
35mm (35mm film equivalent) focal length
5000K daylight white balance
All beamshots on high mode (LED current 1500mA)

Stacked photos
wide angle, close-up

animated GIF's

Set of 45 individual beamshots
wide angle
reference shot, R5 1C, S2 2T, R4 5C, 90CRI

close-up: R5 1C, S2 2T, R4 5C, 90CRI

It was misty evening during slight thaw. Ambient light from near city was present due to low clouds cover. Natural, wet targets always favorise warm tints. Warm light also scatters less in foggy air so weaker output of Q2 90CRI LED suprisingly goes near as far as massive output of 2T S2 which also is good for natural green targets illumination. During that session I found 1C and 5C tints most pleasant to my eyes. 2T was greenish in the comparison to the rest of the lights but also the brightest, which is obvious.:)

Session 2: "The throw behind the cold front"

When the lumens play the main role.

different exposure settings for each scene depending on target's distance, the same exposure settings for each tint in one scene.
28mm (35mm film equivalent) focal length
5000K daylight white balance

Stacked photos
wide angle, close-up

animated GIF's

Set of 40 individual beamshots
wide angle
R5 1C, S2 2T, R4 5C, 90CRI

close-up: R5 1C, S2 2T, R4 5C, 90CRI

Cold front always leaves very clean but unstable air mass. Opposite to the first session, that night was very dry and clear, with high visibility, low temperature falling gradually below 0 degr. C and with quite strong wind. I have a problem with holding flashligths stable, even the camera on the tripod suffered from wind gusts. Snow has totally gone, leaving dirty ground and many shades of gray and brown. Total darkness in the sites during second session didn't require reference shots. I used different exposure times to best fit luminance of my targets at different dstances however it's the same for particular target. We can see near pure Rayleigh scattering which causes strong blue haze to the 1C beam. On the other side 90CRI which is long wavelength dominant is low scattered without blue haze at all. Clear night require as many lumens as possible to illuminate distant targets. S2 2T bin is pure winner here. Next to it is R4 5C which is favorised by reflected spectrum of brownish targets and lower Rayleigh scattering. R5 1C is bad mainly due to the cool tint, which is more scattered and less reflected from brownish surfaces. The weakest is warm 90CRI which is only Q2 bin.

Next session on the way...

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: All ArmyTek Predator tints in one place!

+1!!!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

i voted for high CRI, cause its the one i have. but the 5c tint seems to be a very pleasing neutral.

very nicely done!:thumbsup:
thanks!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm surprised how much I like that green/yellow white S2 2T.
I wonder how close to neutral it really is or if I'm seeing it right.

-Thanks so much for taking such great pics and putting them together so comprehensively.

Last edited:

Tommygun45

Enlightened

Well I personally would have to say that the 3rd from left seems the most realistic of the bunch. I am probably wrong, but it reminds me of my Quark Neutral. The one on the far right looks too warm and might get it to the overly warm range of being pink or reddish for realistic rendition.

Last edited:

duro

Enlightened

Did armytek provide you with these flashlights for this post?

13Lites

Newly Enlightened

nice work.
i voted for 90CRI (warm incandescent-like).
my old eyes like the warm incandescent light now.:thumbsup:

firelord777

Enlightened
Nice man! I love how the lights have a thrower beam. Wow, four predators? No such thing as too much huh?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: All ArmyTek Predator tints in one place. WARNING! Many photos and GIF's!

awesome job with that post!!! that's amazing. :)

i've got a CW with OP that I love so much that I want another one with the CW, but SMO. :D

and for the record, mine is the new design/style, which is so nice!

yifu

Enlightened
Re: All ArmyTek Predator tints in one place. WARNING! Many photos and GIF's!

Wow, that S2 in 2T tint is actually very very nice! Especially for lighting up green objects like trees/grass which makes up 90% of outdoor landscape anyway! I am so happy i configured my Quad XPG drop in with a S2 in 2T tint! Very close to perfect neutral too!

LightForce

Newly Enlightened

Did armytek provide you with these flashlights for this post?

No, I bought it and they are all mine. :)

I personally prefer 2T for two reasons. First - this tint is not so much green in reality as on this photos. It is not "annoying green". it's rather "natural and soft" to the eyes. Not too cold like 1C and not so "dull" like 5C. Second reason - finally it is S2 bin. :)

Last edited:

LightForce

Newly Enlightened

What targets/what kind of beamshots from my flashlights would you like to see after next session which I'm going to make at this weekend?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice set of beamshots! I have a new respect for those lights! I prefer the 5C, with the warm a close second.

Draven451

Enlightened
Awesome post! Thanks for your time taking the beam shots and comments. Oh and also spending some money so we can all benefit :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk