Javelin Mini-review (from a newbie)

WinterAce

Newly Enlightened
Hello!:wave:
I recently got my first real quality light. The only other thing i've had before was a mini-maglite led and a dollar store light. Wow, what a difference!

I got the light on Wednesday from the post office. It is a bit smaller than i expected but that doesn't bother me.

I got the Javelin XP-E r4 SMO with extension.:twothumbs

The box includes:
spare o-rings
Aluminum ring
Manuel
Extension(if you order one)
Lanyard
And the Light

TINT
It is a very nice cool tint with a very slight hint of purple. I don't mind it at all and i like the tint better than my mini-maglite. I would prefer if it was slightly blue instead of purple but its not that noticeable.

Threads
At first the threads seemed a little gritty, but are smooth now. They were a tad dirty from the factory but no biggy.

Knurling
Very nice knurling that is useful unlike the mini maglite. I didnt like the knurling on the mini maglite because it didnt do anything for me. On the javelin it sticks out a bit and does provide a better grip. Very nicely done!

Form/shape/size
It fits very nicely in your hands. You can easily manipulate it, and you're not blocking the cooling fins. The extension isnt as bad as one would think. It is still very comfortable to use, maybe a little more so. You can stretch your hand out abit. It does take a bit of getting used to when you first put the extension on. The weight is more toward the front. It is noticeably brighter with the extension.

Tail switch
It is not able to tail stand with the current glow in the dark cover. The button sticks out just abit, but that is not a problem for me. Im not sure about the other black tail switch included in the box. There are two small holes for the lanyard. You may need a small tooth pick or something to help put it through. Even the tail switch has knurling.

Pocketclip
The clip comes installed on the lite. Its a very strong and sturdy clip, however i found it to be in the way for me. Since i dont use pocketclips i took it off. This is where the aluminum ring comes in. You can choose to put the aluminum ring in its place. It appears you can choose to have neither on. The pocket clip and aluminum ring are a bit bigger than the tailcap. They will slide down to another set of threads below the tail cap ones. There are o-rings in place where the tail cap is, so it looks like its your choice. The aluminum ring has a bit of room to turn back and forth but it doesn't do anything, and i dont think it affects the light.

Throw
I've heard this is one of the best 2xAA throwers available,that's why i got it, but I have not been able to test this myself. I will once i get the chance.

Finish
Very nice black finish with no visible flaws. Very nicely done.

UI
I like the UI very much. Half press to activate momentary. Then quickly keep half pressing to go through the modes. It starts high then goes to med then low. Then click when you find the one you are looking for Some may not like it, but i find it very useful for me.

Overall im very happy with this light and would recommend it to anyone looking for a 2AA light. I'm sure that it throws way better than my other lights.( cant wait to try it). Awesome quality and didn't take that long from Hong Kong.( about 2 1/2 weeks). This is my main light from now on.:)

Sorry for the lack of pics
Thanks for Reading!

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
try ordering a c2h body for that light. more bang for size for that javelin head. plus the lithiums to use in that c2h body.

Last edited:

ykb

Newly Enlightened
try ordering a c2h body for that light. more bang for size for that javelin head. plus the lithiums to use in that c2h body.
+1
makes a compact 1xCR123A P60 host with forward clicky :)