EV1 WebJet Internet Accelerator? Opinions?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been very happy with my providor, EV1, (Everyone's Internet), a Houston based company, I get very reliable dialup for 10.83 (total) a month, with no busy signals, and close to maximum speed connections.

EV1 just introduced something called WebJet, a internet accelerator, that is not just a cacheing program, but supposedly compressed data before it goes into the phone line.

I just installed it, and cannot tell if it is effective or not.

Anyone have any opinions?

It is supposed to give "close to dsl speed" over dial up.

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
I'm on dial-up, and I actually just got it. It's a client side program everyone can get for free at download.com. It's apparently the same as how all those companies do the "high-speed" stuff (not broadband). It works by compression and caching of HTML files and images. Right now...all of my pages load slightly faster, and pages I visit repeatedly load significantly faster. But it doesn't work on anything other than websites. Downloads are still dial-up speed. And it definitely isn't near broadband speed, not even twice as fast as regular dialup.

It's maybe 25% faster than dial-up without it.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
What hawk said has been my experince as well.

I got Proxycom last month for like $40 for the year after paying in advance. I should have paid by the month because my provider, bellsouth, is now offering the same type software for free, different name. I am now using the bellsouth software but still paying for the Proxycom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
I'm so sorry you all are still on Dialup. I was away this week on vacation and had to use dialup. I nearly killed myself.

I do not mean this is some hollier than thou way, it's true compassion.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
I'm so sorry you all are still on Dialup. I was away this week on vacation and had to use dialup. I nearly killed myself.

I do not mean this is some hollier than thou way, it's true compassion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have high speed at work, so I know what I am missing, but45-50 dollars per month for DSL or Cable, vs 10.83, I'll stick with my dial up for a while longer.

I realise that one uses the internet differently when one has a high speed connection, downloading 10 mb video files for fun, and staying online all the time, taking advantage of all the multimedia that there is to download.

I called EV1 initally just to find out what their plans are for a low cost high speed connection, and that is when they told me about WebJet.

WebJet does not seem to get in the way, so I guess I will keep it.

The funny thing about this "compression" is that I thought that the V.90 and V.92 standard already had the maximum compression already incoded, and that I remember reading once, that "we have reached the theoretical maximum limit of compression and speed in analog modems".

Saaby

Flashaholic
For me it's not so much downloading 10 Mb files for fun (Although I downloaded about 500 mb worth of high resolution images yesterday). It's more the fact that if I have a question, I can jump on and get an answer right away. No waiting for dialup and connection, that kind of thing. Maybe that's what you meant by "staying online all the time"

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:Maybe that's what you meant by "staying online all the time"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly.

At work, the entire internet is just like another Hard Drive.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
With DSL you stay connected 24/7 unless you turn off the computer. That's the reason you need some sort of firewall.