Where to buy alumina oxide powder

Lolaralph

Enlightened
I've been using alumina oxide powder and epoxy mixtures to pot my drivers in some of my drop ins, it seems to work well for heat transfer, and it's cheaper than some of the alternatives. I had been buying it from The Sandwich Shoppe, I ordered some items last week and apparently got the last package they had. I asked about them getting more, but got no response, does anyone have any idea where to buy more from, without ordering 25 pounds, as most places have a large min. order.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were going to get pegged as terrorists on here. They'll think were making thermite.

Try explaining that: "But seriously! It's for a flashlight!"

Lolaralph

Enlightened
Guys thanks for the opinions and info. Drywolf, thanks for the offer, do you find the 220 grit fine enough, the stuff I had was a fine powder. The big question, is aluminum oxide and alumina oxide the same. My sandwich shoppe order says alumina, the eBay items are aluminum, but Wikipedia states aluminum oxide is electrically isolative so I guess it's the same, any thoughts

Al Combs

Enlightened
I looked at the 1st half of your eBay link. They all appear to be different quantities of the same 120 grit. Telescope making supplies carry grit in sizes smaller than commonly available elsewhere. The 12 micron size is a good compromise. That's roughly equivalent to 2000 grit. They sell a 5 micron grit but it's maybe a little too fine. It gets airborne too easily.

CKOD

Enlightened
Were going to get pegged as terrorists on here. They'll think were making thermite.

Try explaining that: "But seriously! It's for a flashlight!"

actually, reacting thermite would leave iron and aluminum oxide, so it could be a handy source for alumina :D

I'd look at ebay though, the selection there should be pretty good

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys thanks for the opinions and info. Drywolf, thanks for the offer, do you find the 220 grit fine enough, the stuff I had was a fine powder. The big question, is aluminum oxide and alumina oxide the same. My sandwich shoppe order says alumina, the eBay items are aluminum, but Wikipedia states aluminum oxide is electrically isolative so I guess it's the same, any thoughts

Aluminium (or aluminum for you people in the US) oxide and alumina are the same thing, both are Al2O3. Alumina oxide doesn't make sense...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The thing about alumina / aluminum oxide is that it has a rather high thermal conductivity for an electrically-insulative ceramic. I have a significant quantity of ~400 mesh 99.9% Al2O3 powder available to me, if anybody wants some please PM me.

Me, I wouldn't bother with doing this (I don't that the effect will have much if any significance for our application), but hey, whatever looses your lumens. ;)

Edit: Looking at the data, Silicon Carbide is about twice as good as Al2O3, I have that available to me as well.
I may also have AlN powder which is ~ twice as good as SiC, I can check on that ...

Last edited: