Candle mode "headcap" for a Mini Mag?

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I'm looking for an adapter or transparent cap that would allow me to use the Mini MAG or Mini MAG LED in candle mode, i.e. as a beacon/wand, while keeping it relatively waterproof (emergency beacon on open water). Does such a thing exist?

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you'd have to get clever. Would a translucent water bottle lid do the trick for the LED? I think the incandescent bulb sticks out so far you'd need a really unusual cap.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
It sounds like you'd have to get clever. Would a translucent water bottle lid do the trick for the LED? I think the incandescent bulb sticks out so far you'd need a really unusual cap.

I have both incandescent and LED Mini MAGs, but something for the LED would certainly be preferable.
I was actually quite surprised I couldn't easily find a traffic wand or something similar that screws directly onto a Mini MAG body...

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
Google "mini mag traffic cone" or "traffic wand". Its made by Nite Ize and is available out there for about $5. It's like the D cell Maglite traffic cone only smaller.

Last edited:

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Google "mini mag traffic cone" or "traffic wand". Its made by Nite Ize and is available out there for about $5. It's like the D cell Maglite traffic cone only smaller.

Thanks, but from what I can tell, that just slides onto the end of the head. I'm really hoping to find something that will screw directly onto the body.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clear duct tape on a plastic cap that slides onto the body to protect the bulb should work pretty well, if you don't mind half the light going into your forehead.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Perhaps I should clarify what I mean by relatively waterproof: I want to be able to use this as an emergency beacon on a small boat, so although I won't do any diving with it, I don't think duct tape will do the trick. :)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are other threads here that deal with diffusers ("candle mode" tends to mean taking the head off of a mini-mag, putting the tail of the light inside the head, and then using the bare bulb/LED as a candle -- some of the terms used on this forum do not translate as well as other terms).

Some small pill or vitamin bottles fit snuggly over the top of the flashlight head and make great diffusers (white plastic containers tend to work best). A little bit of a waterproof tape would solve your problem. However, you will not get full brightness from the flashlight with the diffuser in place.

I've said before we could use a thread of internal diameters of various containers and outer diameters of various lights so we'd know which fit to what.

Last edited: