Prometheus        
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW MEMBERS: Having Trouble Posting, PMing, or Editing Preferences? READ THIS THREAD!

Default NEW MEMBERS: Having Trouble Posting, PMing, or Editing Preferences? READ THIS THREAD!

We are happy to have you here at CPF, the world's most information-rich and exciting forum for everything you want to know about flashlights and other light emitting toys and tools. Whether you are a LEO, a miner or just someone who is afraid of the dark, you will find something you like here. We hope that you find answers to your questions, and that you are able to share your knowledge and expertise with us as well.

However, there seems to be a proliferation of questions from new members as to why they see RED BANNERS, why they don't see their posts *immediately*, why they can't PM other members and why they cannot edit their settings. The explanations are clearly stated in the Rules and FAQ sections, but it seems that reading those are too tedious for many. I have thus distilled down the relevant portions and quoted them below. I hope that you find them helpful.

If you read these rules and decide you do not like the way things are done in regards to new registrations, that is your right. But before you go about making sure WE *know* this, it is important for YOU to *know* this: CPF is a privately owned and maintained site and is staffed entirely by volunteers. The moderators and administrators have jobs, families, chores and other life-sustaining activities to attend to besides just checking new posts and crushing spam. That is why things are done this way. Please show respect and patience with those who work diligently for *NO PAY* to keep this forum tidy, clean and family friendly. If you want to be angry with someone because your post took 1 hour to show up, be angry with the millions of spammers bent on lacing our community with smut and garbage.

Now, please read these rules thoroughly:

In an effort to reduce spam in the forums by new members who only register in order to post spam, restrictions have been imposed on all new registrations.

1) The first 2 (two) posts that a new member makes (regardless of registration date) are put into a moderation queue before being posted in the open forums. A CPF moderator or administrator then reviews the post and the user account for validity and suitability. If the post is nothing but spam, the account is immediately banned and the post never sees the light of day in the forums. If the post is not spam, it is approved and shows up where it was intended to be posted. After 2 posts have been approved by a member of the CPF staff, the 3rd post will not need moderation and the user account is "promoted" to full posting privileges.Status promotions may not be immediate. It could take up to 10 minutes.

2) Until a new user account has been approved and vetted in the above manner, the account has NO private message privileges and cannot add an avatar or otherwise "customize" their profile. Again, this is due to new users registering for spamming purposes only. They use the PM system without ever making a post in the forums. As with above, once the new member has posted 2 posts and the account has been approved and vetted, full board privileges are instated.

This new policy has also been applied to CPFMarketPlace and CPFGreen.

All CPF forums (CandlePowerForums, CPFMarketPlace, CPFUnderground, CPFGreen) require seperate registration!! If you register on one forum, it WILL NOT carry over to the other forums. You MUST register seperately on each forum if you wish to participate!
    For a complete listing of Rules, please click HERE. For other General Forum Usage questions, see the FAQ HERE.

If you have a question or problem with your registration or posting as a new member that isn't covered here or in one of those two places, feel free to post it in this thread. Please do so tactfully and we will be glad to help; but understand that if your post comes off as whiny, complain-y, or otherwise cranky because you don't like the Rules, you will likely not receive much help from the Administration or other Members.

I hope that you have found this helpful and that you enjoy your stay here at CPF. And again-

-nbp

Default Re: NEW MEMBERS: Having Trouble Posting, PMing, or Editing Preferences? READ THIS THR

I think it's great! .... but sadly, I think it will be ignored as much as my red banners are... I hope I am proven wrong...

Thank you!

Default Re: NEW MEMBERS: Having Trouble Posting, PMing, or Editing Preferences? READ THIS THR

You're welcome.

I hope it helps too. At the very least it keeps me from having to retype the same message all the time. I'm just posting a link now.

I guess the goal was to make the reasons for the way it is a little more clear than can be expressed in the Official Rules without sounding sassy. And a little editorial comment makes it more interesting, I think.

Thanks for this forum and your hard work. I joined some time ago but illness has kept from enjoying this excellent resource. I look forward to learning so many things. If I inadvertently violate any rules PLEASE tell me immediately. It is refreshing to find respect for decorum and order. Thanks again for all you do David

We're glad that you are feeling better, and hope that you enjoy your time here David.

Help Re: NEW MEMBERS: Having Trouble Posting, PMing, or Editing Preferences? READ THIS THR

Hi, I hope you can help me. I'm new to CPF and in fact all forums. I've been accessing CPF on the iPhone app tapatalk. I haven't made any posts yet but been searching for advice (which CPF has a mind-blowing amount of!!!!)
    I'm not sure if I've done something wrong with the app as I now keep getting the message ' permission error- Security error, you may not have permission to access'
    I've got restricted access also on CPF via the web.

I'm not a spammer, just a very appreciative member of CPF. I own a LED Lenser T7, MT7 and H7R and initially am after info on the best cells & charger for my needs.

I would be really grateful if I could be unblocked- even though my wife would prefer if I wasn't!! - I just think this forum is fantastic and users should feel privileged to have access to the wealth of quality information & advice on CPF!

Many thanks

Dave

Unenlightened

Hi,

It is great to know more about rules and posting guidelines.

Hi Dave,

In order to get your full priveleges you need to post a few times in the normal discussion threads. Your first few posts will be checked to make sure they are appropriate and then after that you will get all your rights as a member here. Feel free to post anywhere you find an interesting topic.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Hi, I hope you can help me. I'm new to CPF and in fact all forums. I've been accessing CPF on the iPhone app tapatalk. I haven't made any posts yet but been searching for advice (which CPF has a mind-blowing amount of!!!!)
    I'm not sure if I've done something wrong with the app as I now keep getting the message ' permission error- Security error, you may not have permission to access'
    I've got restricted access also on CPF via the web.

I'm not a spammer, just a very appreciative member of CPF. I own a LED Lenser T7, MT7 and H7R and initially am after info on the best cells & charger for my needs.

I would be really grateful if I could be unblocked- even though my wife would prefer if I wasn't!! - I just think this forum is fantastic and users should feel privileged to have access to the wealth of quality information & advice on CPF!

Many thanks

Dave

Unenlightened

Thank you and i have read this and found it very good. And interesting. As a new member.

Unenlightened

Default Re: Testing 123A

I am not sure I understand - - the 3 post requirement - - what if I know NOTHING about lights, and have come here to gain info ? ? I am not able to PM anyone, and restricted in what threads I can read until I post 3 times ??
    what do I post about if I am ignorant, and questions do not count towards the 3 post requirement ?

dazed and confused

Default NEW MEMBERS: Having Trouble Posting, PMing, or Editing Preferences? READ THIS THREAD!

Check in the THE CAFÉ there are plenty of non technical threads you should be able to contribute to.
    Norm

You can ask all the questions you want, it's just that they have to be in the actual discussion forums about flashlights, LEDs, headlamps, batteries etc. and not in THIS question subforum which is only for general forum administration questions.

Thanks nbp,

All started working for me again!

I'm learning SO much on CPF!!!

In this day and age where we often see so much selfishness & disregard for others it's really great that there are SO many genuine folk here who are happy to dedicate their time to impart their knowledge to others! I'm loving it!

Will post soon, searching the threads has answered so many questions though. btw I'm struggling to find a topic that doesn't interest me!

Dave

Glad you are enjoying yourself Dave. This is a great community, with a wealth of knowledge. Hold on to your wallet! Soon $150 for a flashlight will sound like a good deal.

Unenlightened

thanx~
    I want to have a great time, right here

I believe your post is thorough and informative. But i have read all FAQs and threads and havent found one about the little padlock icon next to "my account" in the settings page. I have made several posts and they have been approved and i can send private messages, I just cant edit my profile pic and start an album, just cant find answers anywhere. If i overlooked them somewhere im sorry, I know that you wrk hard and dont have time to answer a million jabronies asking the same thing. I just cant find the right answers. Thanks again for any help, this website is awesome, ive already gotten great answeres to tech questions.

The little padlock icon always stays there, it's sort of just a bullet point icon, doesn't do anything. To edit your pic you need to click Edit Avatar. You have an avatar currently, so I imagine you know that already-maybe I am misunderstanding. And I'm not sure what you mean about an album...where do you see that?

in the FAQs, there is a section labeled pictures and albums and im supposed to be able to upload backgrounds and other photos. Also when i go into my settings page, the little square where my pic is supposed to be dosent display my pic. Sorry for the elementary questions? i really have read all the other posted info.

I can see your avatar, a dude in a bathroom, I think? Make sure that in your settings you have enabled it so you can view avatars.

Also, in regards to photos, you cannot upload them directly to the CPF server. You have to put them on a photo hosting site like photobucket or imageshack and then embed them in the post. There is another sticky in this questions subforum with more info on that process if you are unfamiliar.

Unenlightened

Thank you all for your hard work, I have no issue with being moderated as if it keeps the place and tidy.

Regards from the dark side

Hope this counts a none spam post.

I am joining as I wish to learn more and have a specific interest in the MTB threads.

Unenlightened

I am hoping my account is viable at all due to an issue I had this past week when I attempted to sign up for the board.

My inbound mail server was experiencing an outage the day I signed up for the forum. I didn't get the email dispatched by the forum to activate my account, but figured it may be taking a while.

Then I went away for the weekend and realized after the fact my inbound mail service was hosed. Sunday evening I got it operational again and a flood of queued email from various sources came in, but no email from this site. I'm guessing your mail server gave up before I got my incoming mail restored.

In the meantime, i came back to the site and tried to log in with my sign-up creds and I am able to log in.

Maybe the action of logging in accomplished the same thing as clicking the link in the dispatched email?

I'm hoping I can post here. I was denied posting to other areas of the forum thus far.

Thanks for any guidance,
    Mike

I checked your status, Wagnerone, and I can't tell any difference between your status and others that are verified.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Empath View Post
    I checked your status, Wagnerone, and I can't tell any difference between your status and others that are verified.
    Thanks for checking it out, Empath. Appreciate it.

The reason I asked is I tried to reply to a thread on Wine, Cheese & Cigar Saloon and was told I had no permission to do so.

Maybe that isn't one of the forums I am allowed to post to for my waiting period?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerone View Post

The reason I asked is I tried to reply to a thread on Wine, Cheese & Cigar Saloon and was told I had no permission to do so.

Maybe that isn't one of the forums I am allowed to post to for my waiting period?

Mike
    You might want to read the first post in this thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by wagnerone

Mike
    The Wine Cheese and Cigar Saloon is part of the MarketPlace. A separate registration is needed to post there. Have you registered on the MP as well or just CPF proper?

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    The Wine Cheese and Cigar Saloon is part of the MarketPlace. A separate registration is needed to post there. Have you registered on the MP as well or just CPF proper?
    Yes. I registered there. My posts in this thread requesting assistance (re: my mail server outage and no registration email) are all regarding my "wagnerone" account on MarketPlace.

My normal CPF account is seemingly OK. I've already ran the gauntlet there to gain access.

Thanks,
    Mike

Super Moderator

Your post count on CPFMP is zero. As nbp says, it is a different forum, so you will need to make 3 posts there for your account to be verified.
    Resistance is futile...

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    Your post count on CPFMP is zero. As nbp says, it is a different forum, so you will need to make 3 posts there for your account to be verified.
    Problem is I cannot seem to post there. Due to a mail server outage, I didn't get the message to verify my account or whatever.

I suspect that may be the problem or I'm attempting to post in the wrong new places. From all the reading I've done, I should be able to post in "Wine Cheese" as a newb? When I attempt to reply to a thread there, I am notified I don't have permission.

Super Moderator

That is something that will have to wait until an Administrator is online to deal with it.
    Resistance is futile...

Activation code resent.

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast