Maxtorch        
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: NEW MEMBERS: Having Trouble Posting, PMing, or Editing Preferences? READ THIS THREAD!

Default Re: NEW MEMBERS: Having Trouble Posting, PMing, or Editing Preferences? READ THIS THR

Hello all,
    I just thought I'd take a few minutes and give some feedback here as a "newb", take from it what you wish. I've been a member of other forums such as AR15.com (recently walked away from due to the increase in over the top moronic behavior there) and rimfirecentral.

First off, this forum and the rules for posting are EXTREMELY confusing. I completely understand that you want to weed out the bad apples that join internet sites and spammers. But you pretty much make joining here discouraging. First you have to register, ok, NP. Once you're registered though now you have to make 2 posts that have to be approved by somebody but you can only post those posts in certain areas for them to count (this one I'm making doesn't) AND those posts only count for certain areas. To post in the marketplace you have to register again and go through the entire process all over again.

Somebody like myself who isn't very active due to time contraints becomes disinterested in the site rather quickly due to having to go through these "hoops".

You might say that a "newb" like me or other people in my situation not joining for this reason is no big deal, and that I wouldn't have contributed to the site much anyways but I feel that's where you could be pushing away a lot of potentially "good" people/members that DO have valuable experiences/knowledge that could benefit the site along with the fewer bad apples. Just because a person is new or doesn't post a lot doesn't mean that they have nothing to contribute to the site/others here.

I mean no disprespect to this site or the system you have in place, just mearly offering some feedback as a new person to the site. There is an AMAZING amount of information here. It just seems almost like a "good ole boys" club and you discourage newer members from joining.

Just my .02

Default Re: NEW MEMBERS: Having Trouble Posting, PMing, or Editing Preferences? READ THIS THR

PreemptiveStrikes, you have just posted close to 300 words; if they had been posted in forums good for post counts, you could have easily achieved your three approved posts and become a vetted CPF member with full privileges. Please go ahead and do some postings in CPF proper, and contribute, along with others, to this awesome Forum.

Bill

Banned

Hi mods, hope this is the correct area to ask this question: when I send someone a PM, where does it show up? I'm from BLF and the whole PM conversation appears between yourself and the person you are PM'ing...is it different here? Is the only way you can view your PMs is to save it to sent items?

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart_2281 View Post
    Hi mods, hope this is the correct area to ask this question: when I send someone a PM, where does it show up?
    You do need to save it, go to general settings and tick "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default"

I've fixed the setting for you. Also set Pop up a Notification Box When a Private Message is Received, which I find very handy.

Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 11-12-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    You do need to save it, go to general settings and tick "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default"

I've fixed the setting for you. Also set Pop up a Notification Box When a Private Message is Received, which I find very handy.

Norm
    Cheers fellow Aussie! I have that box ticked, still doesn't seem to work, maybe not compatible with Firefox?

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart_2281 View Post
    Cheers fellow Aussie! I have that box ticked, still doesn't seem to work, maybe not compatible with Firefox?
    I use Firefox and it works fine.

Norm

Unenlightened

Norm-

You have sent me two PM's regarding my username but I do not have privileges to reply to you. Please change my username to one of the following.

Silver Bullet
    Desert Runner

I'm not Norm, but I've changed it to Desert Runner for you. Silver Bullet was already taken.

Changed user name from Silver Fox to Desert Runner.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Empath View Post
    I'm not Norm, but I've changed it to Desert Runner for you. Silver Bullet was already taken.

Changed user name from Silver Fox to Desert Runner.
    Great, thanks.

Unenlightened

As a newbie, I need advice on how to make my searches more robust. almost all of my searches end with "no match found"?? Am I doing something wrong?

Regards, Alland9

Quote Originally Posted by Alland9 View Post
    As a newbie, I need advice on how to make my searches more robust. almost all of my searches end with "no match found"?? Am I doing something wrong?
    You can search two ways (You can find both search boxes at the top of the page):
    With the build in search engine
    With google

For many searches google will be easier to use, but it does not have the filtering options the advanced option on the build in search engine has.

One annoying detail with the build in search engine is that it always ignores words shorten than 4 characters.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Enlightened

OK, I've been on the "regular" forums for two weeks or so now and have no problems posting, etc.
    However... I just got myself registered on the Marketplace. I was able to use my same user name & password.
    Now, the dreaded red page says I still have to make three posts that go through a moderator in order for the Marketplace to recognize me. Now if I read the rules correctly any posts in the Markerplace don't count.
    If I am using my same user name, how will the mods be able to tell whether or not I've made my three posts. (when in fact I already have)

Any suggestions for me?

EDIT: I just found some new info that might help me.
    Forum: Issues & Inquiries (General Forum Issues Only!)
    Seems others had asked the same question I asked here.
    Sorry if I can't find things right away. After all, this is a really BIG site.
    Last edited by Blindguy; 02-25-2014 at 09:02 AM. Reason: new info found

Now if I read the rules correctly any posts in the Markerplace don't count.
    Obviously that isn't the case, there are some sub forums that do not add to your post count, try posting in the Off Topic area if you wish.

Norm

Unenlightened

I only registered to do a search of mag light mod ideas it took me 40 minutes to register and now realize I can't search without 3 posts. This is number 2. This forum is helpful in some ways but entirely too difficult to be worth anyone's time without having a good reason or motivation to go thru the hassle. That's most likely why you are speaking to the same people over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatichunter View Post
    I only registered to do a search of mag light mod ideas it took me 40 minutes to register and now realize I can't search without 3 posts. This is number 2. This forum is helpful in some ways but entirely too difficult to be worth anyone's time without having a good reason or motivation to go thru the hassle. That's most likely why you are speaking to the same people over and over again.
    This post does not count as the banner at the top of the page states "• Posts made in this forum do NOT go toward your postcount!"

You can search using the google box at the top of the page at any time.

Norm

Hey Norm.. how's it going? Our new friend here brought up an interesting point - why we are speaking to the same people over and over again. And I'll add this part myself... why we keep answering the same questions and pointing out the obvious over and over again. Hmmm... gets me to wondering, ya know? What are *WE* doing wrong here? I mean... it must be *US*, right? It can't possibly be that these same people over and over again can't be bothered with looking around and reading the Rules & FAQs... right? Hmmmm.... obviously we need to find a better way to make them drink the water once we've brought them to it...

*The beatings will continue until morale improves...

I have a problem with a newbe coming to CPF, or CPFMP, and not bothering to read any of the introductory information available for new members.. How do they except to navaigage a hugh thread such as CPF proper and not want to know how they might do that. You could print the rules, and policies it the brightest of colors and they may not be seen by them, and they will or might start complaining about how difficult it is to post on CPF or CPFMP and join another forum. I know it was simplier when I joined CPF. Didn't have any of those weird waivy words to make out, and be correct in deciphering them .All I had to do was post some fairly intellegent posts that related to a given thread. I do not know how to make it simplier for folks to join us and have a pleasanter experience doing that. If we drop out guard and allow posts with out good moderation to pass by, then we may not end up being that decent forum{s} that most of our members talk about, thousands of them.

Bill
    Last edited by Bullzeyebill; 03-20-2014 at 04:06 AM.

Bill... it is definitely a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type situation! And adding to all that, more and more members are joining and using the forum on mobile devices using mobile apps such as Tapatalk... which does not show any of the notices at the tops of the pages or any of the helpful links to make life easier here. I've spent the past two hours this morning researching how to "fix" that and I'll admit my frustration level at even trying to login and out of the forums has been nothing short of some kind of "stress test". I did find a possible solution... but it will require some extensive "tweaking"... and cost... I don't know if I'll try it or not - we'll see.

^^^ This is one of the big issues I think. Though I have been here a while and *generally* am aware of the rules, I admit to not seeing new banners and notices for days because I was using my iPad to browse. Only when I logged in on a PC did I see the additional info posted around. I imagine some folks browse strictly with mobile apps and could easily miss info they are supposed to be seeing. (Of course, there are still stickies with most things explained, so they are not completely exonerated, but it certainly contributes to the problems.)

Unenlightened

Hi,
    a few days ago I made a thread in the Fixed Lightning forum. My post still hasn't been approved. I understand that admins and moderators are busy however I saw some other posts approved from users with 1 or 2 posts as well.

Ive read the rules and as far as I can tell I havent broken any. The only possible objection that I can think of is that I included the link to the ebay listing in question but I did so because I thought it was important to the discussion.

Please let me know of my mistake if there was any.
    Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Hi,a few days ago I made a thread in the Fixed Lightning forum.
    There is no sign of any post or thread being submitted by you other than this post. Approval general happens in less than an hour or so, as with this with this post.

Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 03-21-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Unenlightened

Hmm, interesting. Could it have been deleted by a moderator as spam by accident?

If there is really no record of my post am I allowed to submit it again?

If there is really no record of my post am I allowed to submit it again?
    Looks like you have already posted successfully

Had your post been deleted as spam you would at the same time have been banned.

Norm

The only possible objection that I can think of is that I included the link to the ebay listing in question but I did so because I thought it was important to the discussion.
    I would leave out the link to the ebay listing as that kind of thing is pretty much frowned upon. It leads to others thinking it's ok to link to ebay sales and next thing ya know that's all we are is an extension of ebay... *blech*

Well i'm pretty sure i didnt spam or did anything wrong, why i cant post? i read the first post, but like i said i didn't do anything wrong, whats up with that?

Looks like you successfully posted this morning about diffusers for the TK75. I don't see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Looks like you successfully posted this morning about diffusers for the TK75. I don't see the problem.
    Thanks, but the posts appeared after like 6+ hours, anyway good to know, now i can post!

How soon should I expect posts to be approved.
    I have been waiting on one for a few days and two others for a couple of hours.

Your help is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalhcal741 View Post
    How soon should I expect posts to be approved.
    I have been waiting on one for a few days and two others for a couple of hours.

Your help is much appreciated.
    You should be ok for now if you posted in forums that did not have that banner saying, '"Posts in this forum do not go toward you post count". This banner is at the top of every page.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    You should be ok for now if you posted in forums that did not have that banner saying, '"Posts in this forum do not go toward you post count". This banner is at the top of every page.

Bill
    Thank you
    They all seem to have appeared now.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast