What does everyone Use for Insulation Between Led and Reflector's

globalmark

Newly Enlightened
Hi
I would Just like to Know what People Have been using for Insulation Between the Reflectors and the LED's - what Choices do we Have
anything please list it here ,
I have so Far Heard of from reading other Posts and Info'

Kapton Tape - Cut to size with Hole in Center
File ring binder stickers (sticky circles you put over the Holes in Paper that go's in the ring Binders - to reinforce the holes)
Plastic from Drinks Bottles
insides of Lids from Drink Bottles (teflon or other)
Insulation Material

I would be interested in What people use , how they use it and why they use it and if they Buy where they Buy it ??

thanks - all for the understanding of modding and i am sure would be useful for other people

Thanks Mark

Last edited:

LEDuser1

Newly Enlightened
I already post new thread with similar question and when I was searching for it I found this one :) .

So I'm searching for stickers to insulate LED from aluminum reflector. I modify few Makita and Milwakee work lamps and now I ran out of it.

I don't know exactly where I saw it but I think it was on DX.

I know it's easy to do it with some scrap plastic or thin cardboard and cut it with laser (if you have one :)).

I need it for XML LEDs but those I had were for XRE and it fits perfectly.

jason 77

Enlightened
I already post new thread with similar question and when I was searching for it I found this one :) .

So I'm searching for stickers to insulate LED from aluminum reflector.

I don't know exactly where I saw it but I think it was on DX.

I know it's easy to do it with some scrap plastic or thin cardboard and cut it with laser (if you have one :)).

I need it for XML LEDs but those I had were for XRE and it fits perfectly.

I have used electrical tape in the past. I found what you are looking for on fasttech, go to their DIY Misc parts section and look for the following... pet-insulation-gaskets-for-cree-xml come in a 10 pack. they work quite well.

LEDuser1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys I will take a look. For this one I will use kapton but I will definitely ordered those plastic ones ...

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like those gasket cause they help to align the emitter as well.
That being said, the wire on the MCPCB must be done pretty flat so that it doesn't touch the reflector.
Of course a small piece of kapton tape will help too.

LEDuser1

Newly Enlightened
If reflector will have thinner edge it will be much easier to deal with short circuits. I prefer making my own ALU PCBs and I leave enough around LEDs (or I use plastic collimator).

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
on work for others i use ready made isolators from variosu chinese shops

If there is surface area on the reflector i use either Kapton tape or pieces of vinyl self-sticking sheet, the one that is used in car signs.
else I use my twindling stock of XRE selfsticking isolators Kaidomain used to offer

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
kosPap, XR-E's ring is about the same diameter as a standard holepunch, like for punching holes in paper for a three-ring binder. Maybe you could get some circle stickers and just punch holes in 'em?

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a reflector/mcpcb combo that just about wouldn't work. I ended up taking solid core copper wire and hammering it out flat. Kapton in strategic places.

I flatten the wire before applying solder & the height is usually lower than the plastic gasket.
If not, I'll file them so that they are shorter.
Of course, some kapton tape on the reflector wont hurt for assurance.

- JonK

Last edited:

Latest posts