Uh, speed-of-light broken ...

Tomas

Banned
With cheap coax cable in the middle of Tennessee a bunch students using 'basement' science can push electrical signals billions of kilometers per hour over a 120 metre path ... Here's a link to a short article with some more information.

This is legit within the general and special theories of relativity, but it still makes my head hurt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Tomas

Banned
Er, here's a counter-argument where some scientists say (paraphrased) "Yeah, big deal, OK, you can send a signal faster than the speed of light, but your signal detectors are slow enough that the actual useful information takes long enough to detect and decode that cause-and-effect is preserved."

Maybe they need to develop faster detectors?

This article explains their view of it.

It still hurts my head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
186,000 MPS is only a theory... it's not a law. So they won't get a ticket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
So they research and come up with a way to double the electrical signal speed of electrical pulses, is that great or so what?

According to the article that could potentially double the speed we get signals to our computers, which could double our data transfer rate.

It's funny to me... I first got on the net in 1991 at 9600 baud, then 14.4, 28.8, 33.6 and finally 56k. After that we got DSL and cable and were really cooking. Problem is ever time we get a speed increase the file sizes explode, so where's the big advantage? Yes, better quality and all but you get my point. When you buy a new computer that's benchmarked 3 times as fast as your old one, is it? Only if you run the same software as before and then it's still unlikely. When you get the newer bloatware with that shiny new machine with the dust free interior you negate much of your speed increase. What if we left the speed alone and found a way to take that 500 meg program and make it 5 meg without degrading it. Then we would see some serious speed increases. I have no clue what I'm talking about but I love the concept.

I am pessimist when it comes to ever traveling at the speed of sound, it won't happen. Get me from Atlanta to LA in 4 hours and be within 30 minutes of on-time and I'm happy. For overseas I would like better than Mach 1 but it looks like that has already come and gone.

Even my 10 year old 3d mag works at 186k, no new ground there in a long time and frankly that's fast enough for me.

Congrats. to the students at Middle Tenn. Keep on working those young brains and figure out how to make Monday-Friday go faster.

Tomas, thanks for the article, very interesting stuff and despite my satire I thoroughly enjoyed it.

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:

Congrats. to the students at Middle Tenn. Keep on working those young brains and figure out how to make Monday-Friday go faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, no... I just get my work done as it is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

David <><