Significant other's opinion of the Surefire Z57?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Significant other\'s opinion of the Surefire Z57?

Guys (or gals that might read this), I am considering several light options for a friend girl Christmas present, one of them the Surefire L4. Have you guys that have a light that uses the Z57 switch had your wives, girlfriends, etc. ever try it out? If so, what have been their opinions? I don't think it's too bad but of a Z57 currently mated to an E1, three females whom I've had try it out all said it clicked too hard for them. I'm nervous about giving any light that uses this switch as a gift to a female significant other.

RevDavid

Enlightened
Re: Significant other\'s opinion of the Surefire Z57?

My wife likes it better than the LOTC... but my Z57 broke in quite nicely. I saw Dan at TW the other day, and we were comparing Z57's and his was a hair smoother than mine, but he has been using it longer, (go figure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) so maybe I am just a little behind him in the break in curve, or maybe they vary. I suspect they vary a little, since I have heard so many different things on the threads. Maybe you can get a dealer to check one for you in advance. (Try TW maybe... before he gets swamped with L5 and L6 orders.)

Good luck,

David <><

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

geepondy
My wife has her own L4 and she has no trouble with the switch. I never mentioned the switch being hard to click and neither did she. She saw my L4 when they first came out and she wanted one. She does like the Z57 more than the LOTC. I don't think it's an issue but if it is you could get it fixed or use a LOTC.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those of you that have a Z57, do you find you burn up more batteries?
I don't mean to hijack this thread but it is related and never understood why the need for a clickie. Can't you just twist the tail cap?

GregR

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
I don't think it's too bad but of a Z57 currently mated to an E1, three females whom I've had try it out all said it clicked too hard for them. I'm nervous about giving any light that uses this switch as a gift to a female significant other.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all in the luck of the draw geepondy. Some are very stiff, while others are not. It's my opinion that almost all of them can be greatly improved upon by performing the spacer modification. All 4 of my Z57s have been modified and there is no way *anyone* would think that they are hard to click. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Those of you that have a Z57, do you find you burn up more batteries?
I don't mean to hijack this thread but it is related and never understood why the need for a clickie. Can't you just twist the tail cap?

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg, I will never use a LOTC again. I think this is how it should have been all along. The LOTC was always cumbersome to me and I often had to use *two hands* to turn the light on. Preferring the clickie is a complete no-brainer to me. I don't know why anyone would be using more batteries in a clickie equipped light, except that maybe they enjoy using it more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The clickie still has a provision for momentary on, just like the LOTC.

Peter

outlaw918692000

Newly Enlightened

the clickie is not just like the lock out. The surefire lights were ment for police and mil. use and a clickie is too easly turned to the on (insted of momentary) when your blood is pumping, and they are less reliable. I like both but for different uses.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't say that the clickie was just like the LOTC, I said that it also has the "momentary" feature.

Peter

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, never having used one.

I guess I'm one of the few that uses SF flashlights pretty much like what I believe the manufacture intended. I use them daily, usually for not more that 3 minutes continuously at a time, more likely 10-30 seconds at a time.

For this the momentary action is ideal- push on / release off. The light stay lit for not one second longer than it need it to batteries conserved.

I think the only time I've used a SF for longer than 10 minutes was the time my 9P accidentally turned on while I was writing a report. Melted the lens, burnt my hand taking it out of my jacket pocket, dropped it, five minutes later it was still too hot to pick up with two fingers by the tailcap.

I also hold the flashlight in a manner that my thumb and forefinger can easily turn down the tailcap....except my M6 of course...a twist and it's on.

Maybe I will have to see what I'm missing. Can the Z57 be locked out?

GregR

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Can the Z57 be locked out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it can, only 1/4 turn will do it. I think that this is less than the LOTC requires to become locked out. You should really try one, odds are you will like it. I find the momentary on very easy to use with the Z57. Be aware that much less pressure is required for momentary on vs. the LOTC. I much prefer this, but for some it could be a liability depending on how you carry the light. I suppose you could lock it out if you wanted, but I rarely bother to do so.

Peter