Anyone know about Newon or Neon

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Quote " In Newon, rows of high-quality LEDs are embedded in something we like to call a polymer waveguide. In English, this means a special translucent material which gives a bright, even glow that looks like a brighter version of neon. This stuff was also designed to be relatively easy to bend or mold into custom shapes, making it perfect for signs."

This is the plastic that gathers light. Typically used in shop displays.
Also used in fiber sights for weapons. By gathering available light and dispersing it along one axis, it looks like it is very bright....

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
It basically sounds like fiber optics bundled around a light source. Should work well for small signs, but don't expect it will replace the giant signs in major city centres.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I will be putting this in a South facing window. Do you know if the Newon "polymer waveguide" will use the sunlight to augment its output? If not is it bright enough to stand out (be visible, shout WE ARE OPEN) in direct sun?
Does anyone remember the battery racks (Energizer I think) they had a sheet of orange/red plastic on top that fed light to the edge of the plastic that made a nice glow around the edge, eye-catching. I haven't seen that technology used anyplace else that I can recall.

LED-FX

Enlightened
LEDs are directional, Neon as tube glows 360,LEDs can score brightness but only at expense of viewing angle.

It will be brightest within a direction up to probably 180 odd degrees from straight on.

Look for light gathering acrylic plasic or similar, if it gets the sun fluorescent and day glow plastics are going to be brightest of all.

YMMV

Adam