The Slow Age.

hula

Newly Enlightened
Why in the 21st Century is it that we appear to be travelling around alot slower than the rate envisaged by our predecessors?
For example.
The pace of traffic movement in quite a few large cities is generally slower now than at almost any time in the past. Often our current pace falls behind that of the early part of the twentieth century.

Air travel has diminished in terms of offering shorter travel times with the demise of supersonic flight and currently has no alternative to replace this with.

Trains have made very little progression in the area of high speed travel and in their current form have a safety limiting factor. Maglev vaccum tube trains that could exceed the speed of sound remain just theories.

I know we now can all get around so much easier as transportation is available to a greater part of this planets' populace than at any time before. We have also made great improvements in safety within most transport systems but other than offering gimmicky facilities for the various types of transportation we seem to be going no quicker overall. Indeed it seems some people are obsessed with actually slowing down what we currently have. I refer to transportation by car in particular. Although there's more of us than ever before there's also currently more wealth too but it does not seem to be put back in improving the transport infrastructure, at least not in my country. Take a journey using the motorway (freeway) network and there's such a high probabilty of delay that working practices have had to be altered to accomodate this. What a sorry state and one a million miles away from the transportation nirvana once envisaged by the very people who laid down our still used and overburdened system.

Hula.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I blame it on overpopulation. When I was young, a long time ago, there were fewer people around and many didn't have cars, at least many city dwellers. Most people didn't fly either because they couldn't afford it.

Now everybody has a car or two, and everybody flies. Everybody but me that is. I don't go near cities, and I don't go near airports anymore.

As far as what was envisaged by our predecessors, I have noticed that people that predict the future are usually people that are full of B.S. and no common sense, and they are always wrong.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I can agree with you up to a certain point.
The old saying "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" still holds true. Do we really need the flying cars invisioned 50 years ago? Probably not. Most travel involves trips of fewer than 25 miles or so. Rapid transit is only effective if it is faster and easier for me to get to the grocery store (or where ever)and back.Would you want to carry 8 bags of groceries on a crowded train and have to transfer 3 times before you got home? Ice Cream would be melted!
I think our technology has passed by most people already. I see alot of people driving cars who shouldn't be (IMHO). Flying cars would require 3 dimensional thinking and observation. Many people have not mastered 2 dimensional driving.
How many people have 12:00 flashing on the VCR because they cannot figure out how to program it?
I dont think we have entered "Slow Times" as much as we have entered a time when people need to catch up with what we have.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Physically we're moving slower due to affluence and poplulation growth, but communications-wise, we're really accelerating. In my lifetime, we've developed color television, satellite TV, cable TV, the internet, fiber optics data transmission, etc.

In many ways, life is better now due to communications... we have less need to physically travel places.

At the same time, the rest of the world is catching up to us and this is causing a great leveling effect. We're getting poorer and the rest of the world is richer.

To imagine things in the near future, just think what might (will?) happen if half of the population of China wants to own a car. The potential environmental effects and the impact on the world's oil reserves make me shudder.

RevDavid

Enlightened
Well, traffic around where I am is fast again at times. We have some stretches of highway here with 75mph speed limits. (and that does not keep people from going even faster... like 90-95 mph) In the city, it is different, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

David <><