Mag 2C single XM-L build - need a heatsink/tower recommendation

merlocka

Enlightened
Hello. I have an older 2C mag (SN starts with C) I ROP'd back in the day. I have a DX 20330 driver and a few different XM-L's lying about. But I need a sink for it. Does anyone know where I could find a heatsink on which I could mount an XM-L on a star?

Or should the XM-L be unsoldered and mounted directly to the sink? If so, are there heatsinks specifically for that?

Thanks!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^+1
if you got bigger star, use the same heatsink upside down, dremmel off, or use sheet metal snips to remove the lip, you'll have to fix the heatsink it in place, there are many ways, epoxy, pins, foil...etc

merlocka

Enlightened
^^+1
if you got bigger star, use the same heatsink upside down, dremmel off, or use sheet metal snips to remove the lip, you'll have to fix the heatsink it in place, there are many ways, epoxy, pins, foil...etc

Thanks for all the replies. Spent some time reading and might reconfigure my project to a multi-LED.

ssvqwnp

Newly Enlightened
Cree advertise their X-Lamps to have electrically insulated thermal paths, if that answers your question enough. The few I have built stayed on the stars, though.

P.S.

H22A also sells anodized heatsinks if you prefer other LED that are not electrically insulated...

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
no that wasn't my question.
i asked if he actually has done what he suggested.