26 gauge wire ok for XML Mag build?

freeloader700

Newly Enlightened

moderator007

Enlightened
I would think your right on the boader line of being to small. It may work because of the high strand count. Wire size chart. The chart says 2.2amps max for short distance. Your wire maybe a little better than that. I generally use high strand count silicone 24 or 22 AWG wire for my mag builds. The wires between switch and driver is usually 3 or 4 inches long. So the higher the AWG the less resistance.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look up the resistance per foot (or m) and ponder the voltage drop you'll get on that wire run. That translates to lost power (runtime at xx brightness) in all drivers, and lost output in most drivers.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you should be fine since it is borderline size, and your runs are very short, but if you for some reason can't get bigger wire, just double every wire, i do it in cables sometimes, works fine.

freeloader700

Newly Enlightened
The doubling sounds fine. Okay...but if I was to get bigger wire...what should I go with..22 or 24 awg?

moderator007

Enlightened
If it will fit the bigger the better. Less resistance. With your current 24AWG will work fine but 22AWG would be better. Even 20awg over 22AWG will offer some improvement but probably not enough to matter. I normally use 20AWG in mag sst-50 builds at 5 amps. The only thing that would limit you is when you solder the wire to the led pcb if its to big it sticks up off the pcb interfering in the led beam. I prefer 22Awg for the flexibility and size. The silicone wire that can be found at your local hobby shop or online is super flexible and easier to work with than plastic sheath wire. It doesn't melt when soldered to either. I usually buy mine from EPBUDDY here in the states $.30 a foot. The smaller the easier it is to work with to a certain point. Its really up to you.

Last edited: