3D vs 6D TerraLUX Maglite swap

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know what happens when I put the 6D cell TerraLUX 3W (140 lumen) bulb into my 3D? Will it fit? Will it work? I may try it tonight... The 3D and 6D have different bulbs from TerraLUX for some reason.

I have a new 2D (it's "Jade", though I like to call it "British Racing Green":), 3D and 6D (both black) and want to move the bulbs around so I can put a Malkoff, preferably in the 6D... Makes sense, making the biggest one the brightest. But I'd hate to throw out the TerraLUX I have in the 6D... Personally, I prefer to buy the cheap incandescents Mags and upgrade them for my own amusement:candle:

I was hoping to move the 6D bulb to the 3D, the 3D bulb to the 2D and buy a Malkoff for the 6D. I'll let y'all know what fits where. Worst case scenario, I have to buy a 2D Malkoff, which isn't the end of the world. Though battery life won't be optimized per flashlight, we probably would use the 2D more than the 6D anyway, since the latter is an under the bed baseball bat type of device.

Last edited:

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
Son of a gun! The 3D and 6D Terralux bulbs are one way compatible! The 6D bulb (made for a higher voltage) works in the 3D. When I ran the 3D bulb in the 6D flash, after 2-3 minutes I saw it start to smoke and now I'm out a 3D Terralux :-(. Live and learn. The internal circuitry and resistors must have been designed for the lower voltages of the 3D. Crap. My own fault. The old xenon incandescent still works fine.

Last edited: