Firefly mode useful? YES

islw2863

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday took delivery of (three) Thrunite Ti-Firefly. I bought (the one for me) for a specific role: Illuminating late night trips to kitchen or bathroom while house is dark and everyone else is asleep without waking or disturbing light-sleeping wife. Bad JuJu that. I didn't know if 0.04 Lumens would be good for that. Now I know. Firefly mode IS useful for this task. Turns out 0.04 Lumens is perfectly adequate for navigating around an otherwise dark house safely and won't wake wifey. I also found it adequate for close up reading. Live and learn.

Going to give one each to wife and daughter and maybe wife will reciprocate sensitivity to me when I am sleeping.

I am so far pleased with appearance, size, price, modes, and function of this flashlight.:thumbsup:

fyrstormer

Banned
I just sleep with an eye mask. It blocks out morning sunlight too, so I don't wake up until my alarm goes off.

The ThruNite Ti is a nice little light though. I put one in my camping kit.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Thrunite Ti lights. One is a firefly. It is useful in the night for looking on my nightstand or moving around the house and not to disturb my wife. I like the firefly. However, the rest are the 3/60 and for me they offer the most use. If the current were to go out the firefly would be great and last for days or nights.
Jerry

Limey Johnson

Newly Enlightened
I have a firefly mode on my Armytek predator. It is adjustable from 0.1, 0.5, or 1.5 lumens. I have it on the lowest setting, and it is plenty to navigate a dark house after being adjusted to the dark. It's kinda sick to show my friends too...with a twist of the head I go from 370 "get that thing away from me" lumens to an LED they can look at when lit!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Once your vision is night adapted, you need almost no light to see. Reading at 0.04 lumens though will be causing eye strain, and is a bad idea unless you are just reading a label, etc...rather than a novel.

:D

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have 0.2 "moonlight" mode to compare "firefly" to? Can you tell the difference between the two?

Just wondering as 0.2 feels like it's just on the line of being able to read comfortably by (in the hot spot that is).

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

The ThruNite T10 has the same *Firefly* level ......

But it is ... *AA* powered for much longer run time .....

And the best part is , it has a wider reflector ......

which gives a hot-spot that is two-times the width of the *Ti* Firefly .

There are several Reviews on the *Ti* and the *T10* from Thrunite .

~

kj2

Flashaholic
First I thought.. Where am I gonna use FireFly for?? -Now that I have the T10, I use it for almost everything at night indoors. Outdoors it's still to low for me, prefer for outdoor more like 3-5lumens.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
First I thought.. Where am I gonna use FireFly for?? -Now that I have the T10, I use it for almost everything at night indoors. Outdoors it's still to low for me, prefer for outdoor more like 3-5lumens.

~

Well .... the T10 Mid-mode is 9 Lumens ... close enough to your 3-5 lum's .

You should like it just fine ... outside .......... No ?

~

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There's no one universal amount of lumens...for anything. You can't see lumens, you can only see LUX.

The same lumens, projected further away, will generally produce lower Lux on the target. For reading, a small amount of lumen output, that doesn't have far to go, can produce enough lux it the target is close enough.

If the beam is a flood, whatever lumen output there is, is diluted by the larger surface area as far as LUX go. A tighter throw makes the spot brighter (More lux on target), but its darker around that.

So its misleading to talk about how many lumens you need to do anything, unless you all are doing the same thing with the same light, with the same night vision.

The distribution of those lumens make a huge difference.

:D

Racer

Enlightened
The Ti and the T10 are my two most-used lights. Yeah, it's nice to have these high output monoliths that can light up the night, but what I was noticing in in real world use was that none of my lights went low enough. I needed the right tool for the job of being awake without being disruptive to those (usually asleep) around me.

If I hear a strange noise late at night then I grab a big 18650 light and then it's all about the safety.

But 99% of the time I'm getting up to use the restroom or get a drink or something and then it's all about the courtesy.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Racer ... do you use yours on a neck lanyard ?

Other lights produce low levels too .....

but the grestest thing about these is they are light weight and Tiny .

~

tgfuzzball

Newly Enlightened
I have a Peak Eiger Ti and it is ridiculously useful for going to the restroom in the middle of the night. The lowest setting (which is very VERY low, lower than 0.4 lumen when compared to an HDS) does not harm your night vision.

It is one of my most used modes.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree, the Ti's firefly mode is realllllly nice. i also bought- for comparison's sake- the 4 lumen 'low' of the shipping Tis, and honestly? the 4 lumens is too high for my night vision indoors compared to the .04 of the 'normal' Ti IMO

but you guys are making me wanna buy a T10 now, too. so the T10 is essentially a AA-powered Ti? I'm looking at the product page on TN's site and it appears it's one with memory too.

is the T10 much larger than a Ti in all honesty? is it twist-off-then-on-again to change/cycle modes?

the Ti I have to twist it just the right amount to make sure it doesn't blast on in high (versus firefly) so that's a PITA to me a lot. :(

Last edited:

Racer

Enlightened
No lanyards. At home they live on my night stand and away from home I'll usually put my Ti in my pocket or next to me when I'm sleeping so I can find it in the dark.

I have a Neutron 1C which has a moonlight mode with the XM-L, which is very nice. It's a little bulky though, and I'm on my third unit so my confidence is shaken a little in the series. Otherwise I would probably own the Neutron 1A also. The great thing about the Neutrons is that not only are they great on moonlight mode, but they really put out on turbo. So both ends of the spectrum are almost perfect.

These twisties though seem really rugged so far. I'm not hesitant to bang them around. And they are super compact. I can sleep with the Ti in my pajamas pocket and never notice it.

I hope Thrunite continues to evolve and improve these new models. As good as they are, there's still room for improvement. For example I wish they would re-do the tails on both the Ti and the T10. If they keep improving them then I for one would keep buying the upgraded models as they come out. Same with the Neutron series. If I know for a fact that they are getting better and better, I'll keep buying them too. I'd like to see a punishment test on a new Neutron like what Craig did for the Ti.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HDS Rotary goes down to 0.07 lumen which may not sound like much but is surprisingly bright in the dead of night. I find these moon modes so useful that I will never buy a general purpose EDC without a low-low feature. In fact, I care more about how dim a flashlight can get than how bright it can get!