Q3J vs. R2H

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightness: R is better than Q. R is practically the best 1W binned lux available out there
COlor: 3 is whiter than 2. But a lot R2x out there is white enough to the eyes already.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
JT,

Here's a comprehensive description with numbers:

Luxeon 1W binning information

Bear in mind that the eye will not be able to discern between the average flux values of the Q and R. An integrating sphere can. You may be able to tell if you can switch between two lumen values back and forth on the fly. If you had a LED and drove it at 350mA, then switched the bias to 700mA, you would be able to tell though the difference is not that dramatic. That's a doubling in lumen output. The average R is NOT double the average Q in terms of lumen output.

I happen to have two 5W lights on a McLux PR biased the same way. One's a W3W and one is the highly sought after X3T. I can't tell the difference in light output between the two lights. The relative comparison is valid I believe. I also have Q's and R's in KL1's and I'm hardpressed to tell the difference in output. The variability in color is greater than the difference in Lumen output.

CM

paulr

Flashaholic
Q or R is the flux bin, R is brighter than Q. Q is still pretty good and is considered premium, but is no longer a rarity. R is still semi-exotic and not so easy to find, but they are out there. S exists but is almost impossible to find.

2 or 3 is the color temperature. That's probably some kind of average across the beam. Some beams tend to be white in the center but start to go green or purple around the edges, etc. I get the impression that the R's have tended to have more conssitent color across the whole beam than the earlier Q's, P's, etc.

J and H are the voltage drop across the LED at the rated current. H means slightly less voltage. In regulated lights, that's mainly of concern to circuit designers. In unregulated, that tells you how much limiting resistance (or whatever) you need. Also, an R2H has low enough voltage that you get useable output (though certainly not full output) by running it with a 3 volt lithium battery and no regulation or boost.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
.. S exists but is almost impossible to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly

the only S that i know of is on one of the modder's hand (forgot the name) and on the Lux3.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had experiences with both as has CM. If you're talking specs the R's put out more light than the Q's. In the real world, however, they're all subject to the lottery. In my personal experience, as far as light output goes, the Q3J's have been brighter than the R2H's I've seen. It's only been by a negligible amount, but comparing the two side by side, the Q3's have been brighter. In the lights that I have kept the R2H's in are those that I'll be using outdoors and that's because I find the warmer light of the R2's to be more effective outdoors. The Q3's have a cooler light color. The R2K's (that I've seen) have been a different story though. They've been consistently brighter than the Q3J's, but again, not by much. When comparing the two bins, it's more of a matter of the color of the light that you like. If you like a warmer color, go with an R2K or R2H. If you like the cooler color, go with a Q3J. The difference in output is negligible.

You can still get the Q3J's on ebay for around $10 a piece. If you can get the R2's for this price, someone please PM me.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM,
The KL1 you made me with a Q3j is awsome I will never be able to use my stock KL1 again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I like the color of my R2H sandwich in a MMM or MM. Also, it throws a tighter beam than my Q3L MM+ sandwich, the difference being the R2H is a high dome.

Bill

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
My impression with the mmm/Madmax+Q3x: just running on one NiMH (1.2V), is that the color is a "sunshine" white (NO green or violet visible)-even when shone on a clean white porcelain stove and very strong output.

When run on 2 new NiMH 1/2AA cells, this little 3.75" long pocket rocket's output gets really nasty bright..-waay overkill for midnite bathroom runs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

It's really great to win the Luxeon lottery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif