SF L2 Beam

tsl

Enlightened
It's been a while since I owned a SF L2 (Lux V version with reflector). I am familiar that many of the L2's have a donut in the hotspot. Is it typical to have a corona around the outside of the spillbeam?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a faint corona with almost no hot-spot. It's one of my favourite beams by far...does a good job of evenly spreading the light (hence, almost no real hot-spot.)

tsl

Enlightened
I know I'm a troglodyte and a heretic, but I prefer the relatively wimpy, inefficient L2 to its successor.

Thanks. Can you explain why? Is it because the LX2 uses a TIR?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Can you explain why? Is it because the LX2 uses a TIR?

I'll answer that. The L2 is one of the only SF's that I have more than one of. It's the most under-rated SF. The TIR lens of the LX2 makes it a great two-stage tacitical light. Using it for hiking/caving, you get tunnel vision, and the flood beam of the L2 excels. You can see what's at yer feet, your sides...not so with the LX2, with-out moving it around constantly.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll answer that. The L2 is one of the only SF's that I have more than one of. It's the most under-rated SF. The TIR lens of the LX2 makes it a great two-stage tacitical light. Using it for hiking/caving, you get tunnel vision, and the flood beam of the L2 excels. You can see what's at yer feet, your sides...not so with the LX2, with-out moving it around constantly.

That's a good description.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been a while since I owned a SF L2 (Lux V version with reflector). I am familiar that many of the L2's have a donut in the hotspot. Is it typical to have a corona around the outside of the spillbeam?

Got your PM - will check and get back to you here and/or by PM.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the corona, yes, the late L2 I checked does have a small corona at the absolute edge of the spillbeam. It's minor, though. Unless you are white-walling I don't think you'd notice it at all. My son has an early 4-flats L2 that I could check also - there was an LED change during the production life, IIRC.