Shakes Frozen Custard - OMG!!!!!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are (were!) Frozen Custard deprived here in Houston TX, but not anymore!

I had (three times this weekend!) Shakes Frozen Custard! .

MAN, is this stuff good!

My 3 favorite vanilla ice creams are Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla, HEB 1905 Vanilla, and Marble Slab Sweet Cream, but Shakes Vanilla blows them all away!

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Blue Bell??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

What is with Texans and Blue Bell??? I just don't get it!

Ben & Jerry's, now that's good store-bought ice cream...

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take Haagen Dazs vanilla, thank you. Or some good homemade stuff. I haven't had homemade in 30 years though.

Ben & Jerry's ice cream might turn me into a raving left-wing fanatic. I won't risk it.

What's the difference between frozen custard and ice cream? I haven't seen frozen custard in many years.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to go North to get proper custard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I spent 3 years living in Madison Wisconsin and the frozen custard was the best part!

The difference is that it is a frozen egg custard, wipped up like ice cream instead of just ordinary ice cream. It really is rather good. It will kill you in short order if you eat it very often though.

It's more in keeping with the texture and consistancy of the thickest, richest, worstest for you gelati. But with this subtle custard flavor and traditional ice cream flavors.

God, thats good stuff.

EDIT: Ok more info.

The 2 places we most often had it in Wisconsin were at Michaels and at Culvers

but I just notice this site that is a Listing of all custard places which might be useful to find something near where you live.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only Shakes Frozen Custard in Alabama is at Mobile. Next time I'm there, I'll give it a try, after I eat my seafood dinner (the reason I go there).

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
eluminator said:
I'll take Haagen Dazs vanilla, thank you. Or some good homemade stuff. I haven't had homemade in 30 years though.

Ben & Jerry's ice cream might turn me into a raving left-wing fanatic. I won't risk it.

What's the difference between frozen custard and ice cream? I haven't seen frozen custard in many years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not know what the difference is. I THOUGHT that a custard was thicker and denser and richer and more calories. Well, thicker and denser, yes, but they were telling me that their custard actually has LESS fat than regular ice cream!

I would have to verify that, because this stuff is soo decedant, that your eyes roll in back of your head when eating it.

And Hagen Daas Vanilla, while it certantly appears to be denser, it does not "do it for me" the way the other vanilla ice creams do.

No put down inteneded, that is why they make different flavors. If you like Hagen Daas, then go for it!

About Ben and Jerry's. I am pretty conservative (listen to Rush almost every day, even now, when he is absent, and Sean Hannity, et al) but Ice Cream, is ice cream!

I toured B&J when visiting Vermont last year (What a beautiful state, sorry it is soooooo liberal), and B&J is not owned by B&J anymore, some big company owns it.

If you like B&J, try Dreyers Dreamery Ice Creams!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Chunk
and
Cony Island Waffle Cone
are my two favorites!

Even though I WANT to like B&J better because I visited there, Dryers seems to blow them away!

I cannot bring myself to try any other flavors, because I like these flavors too much!

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I'm still a bit partial to B&J, political leanings or ownership aside (Like BuddTX said, it's ice cream, who cares!). I think it's still creamier than Dreamery, but Haagen Daas is close. My favorite flavor of B&J that still has yet to be beaten by another in-store brand (IMHO) is New York Super Fudge Chunk.

The Dreamery Black Raspberry Avalanche is very different from about any other ice cream I've had. It's quite good!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If I ever remember and drive to Freindswood to try it, maybe I'll understand.

But BABY! Bluebell Gold Rim Homemade Vanilla is the STUFF!

Equal parts BB HV and Dutch Chocolate is HEAVEN!!!

Dreyers is okay too.

Not sure I ever have had B&J. And Hagen Das is sorta pricey!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I"ve got nothing against any of the ice creams. But a custard just has a different feel and flavor. It's creamer without feeling quite as heavy once you've eaten it as the mouth feel comes more from the egg custard than just fat like in ice cream proper.

I really like Dove bars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I really like Dove bars"

James I had the pleasure of living near the original Dove's it was an ice cream / candy shoppe. It was located at 61st and Pulaski in Chicago . The orignal Dove's bar was about three times the size of the one they sell at the grocery store. The ice cream was made on premise and the ice cream bars were handipped in chocolate. They offered two kinds of chocolate dark and milk choc. The ice cream bars came in vanilla, strawberry and of course chocolate.It's closed now. The store is a real estate office. What a shame

Great thread. I haven't had frozen custard in along time. I checked the listed website and found a Culvers near me.

thanks,
Tim

iddibhai

Enlightened
is cold stone creamery any good? one sorta close by, kinda off the daily roads but if anyone will recommend it, then i might try it.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Coldstone is supposedly AWESOME but overpriced. I have yet to have it myself.

I've only had Gellato twice in my whole life. It was delicious.

Is Blue Bell icecream called Blue Bunny out west in Utah where I live? We do not have Blue Bell ice cream here but we do have Blue Bunny. My brother lived in Texas for 2 years and raves about Blue Bell ice cream.

I believe Dryers is called Edy's in the east??

iddibhai

Enlightened
what's gellato? and does movenpik (sp?) distribute in the USA or strictly an euro/asia thing? i had a few of their cones (freshly made in front of you, waffle type) with some flavour ice cream, quite nice, but definitely priced out of daily eating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
is cold stone creamery any good? one sorta close by, kinda off the daily roads but if anyone will recommend it, then i might try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is awesome, and not too terribly expensie in my opinion, but whatever you do... WHATEVER YOU DO... do not order the LARGE. I had a large after lunch, and I couldn't eat all of it, and I couldn't eat supper. Tooooo... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif fuuuullllll.

lol

David <><

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:

My 3 favorite vanilla ice creams are Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla, HEB 1905 Vanilla, and Marble Slab Sweet Cream, but Shakes Vanilla blows them all away!

[/ QUOTE ]

Another great vanilla is Blue Bunny!

David <><

hokiefritz

Newly Enlightened
The Coldstone by my place is terrible. It doesn't taste like ice cream or custard, hard to describe. It's also expensive as Saaby wrote. However, my girlfriend had Coldstone in Boston and it was great, so I guess you just pay your money and take your chances.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the frozen custard really has less fat than ice cream, just remember, less fat doesn't necessarily mean less calories! Take a look at those stupid Snackwells cookies - 0 fat, but really high on the calories (LOTS of sugar!).

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quickbeam: I didn't claim it was better for you, only that you felt less sick after eating it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One would hope that none of this would be eaten after (or instead of?) every meal! While in Wisconsin we would go out once a month and make complete pigs of ourselves at Michaels. Once a month or so in Virginia we used to do the same thing going to a place called "gelati celesti" which was god awful fantastic too. With real deep flavors and not too sweet. The dark chocolate would put hair on your chest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The Pistachio was one of my favorites!

Gelato is actually more of a custard also. From http://www.worldoficecream.com/icecream_vs_gelato.htm

[ QUOTE ]

Premium ice creams are made with fresh cream (not condensed or powdered milk), real eggs, and natural flavorings. Quality ingredients aside, lesser ice creams also have more air whipped in. As much as half the carton may be air, in fact. More air--or "overrun"--means softer ice cream that scoops more easily and melts more quickly. Premium ice creams have very little air added; gelato has no air added at all. (There's a minimal amount of air that's incorporated naturally because of the churning process.)

Gelato and some premium ice creams are so dense that they require a slightly lower serving temperature, a perfect point where your scoop is firm but not hard and not so soft that it melts immediately. Gelato recipes usually include more egg yolks, more milk and less cream. It actually has less fat than regular ice cream, but gelato's low overrun makes for an extremely dense, rich and creamy treat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
The Pistachio was one of my favorites!

[/ QUOTE ]

I *LOVE* Pistachio Pudding but for some reason I developed an allergy to Cashews and Pistachios this summer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Pain in the butt and I hope some day it goes away the same way it came on!