Need Surefire quality in an 2xAA light...

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Been months and months since I've posted, but I really needs some advice.

I am a Surefire guy through and through and love them, but as of late I find myself wanting to add a good and powerful AA or 2xAA to my lineup that is brighter than the Surefire 2xAA Outdoorsman.

I know I can get a Malkoff head and run it on a 2xAA body, but I need something brighter, in the 150-250 lumen range...

What 2xAA lights are out there that are on par with Surefire and Malkoff quality that will get me the lumens I need? I do not want to spend more than $100.

Do I just go with the Quark X 2xAA XML and be done with it? Zebralight?

The Quarks I have leave a lot to be desired in the fit and finish department and dont really inspire too much confidence... but, I have yet to have one fail.

Thanks in advance :)
-Harry

notrefined

Enlightened
Any light configured for 3x123a will accommodate 2xAA relatively easily. For $100 (plus tax and shipping) right now, a 9p at closeout prices and a malkoff drop-in would work very nicely.

l337m4n

Newly Enlightened
Checkout the Shiningbeam Caveman, i like it more than the 4-7s or zebra 2xAA. It definitely has a professional "hearty" quality to it and $40 shipped for the t5 version is a steal.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quarks aren't even close, and Zebralight doesn't make one.
Since the Malkoff M31 is 230 lumens OTF, and 210 for the warm, by brighter do you mean more throw?
I don't think you'll find that quality level anywhere else with the output you want from factory 2AA light.
Don't know about the output, but you might check out the Dereelight Javelin. Their dropins are of good quality from what I've seen, but I haven't used their actual lights.
Downside is it'll fall short options compared to a lot of other lights, and be single stage or Hi/Med/Lo. I personally don't like the order, and 50% is too high for a medium mode, IMO.
The good news is that the pills are easily upgraded, you can choose your emitter and reflector, and they're not expensive. Custom lamp assemblies might be an option, since it uses a P60-sized dropin. I suppose it would work as a Malkoff host for that matter.