Surefire in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admin Edit: Where to buy threads are discouraged.

Thread closed

Can you get Surefire in Australia at anything like fair prices?

The 'local' dealer sells the UB3T for $835!!! - yes that is an EIGHT.

I notice the US sellers have it for $385 and with the AUD higher than the USD the 'local' price makes John Dillinger look like a philanthropist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the world of buying flashlights, knives, and too many other things at extortionate prices. Best to find someone in the US who sells overseas. Been that way for a long time, but as you've noted it's now getting ridiculous with the current exchange rate.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is nothing new, but it's only now that the exchange rate is in our favour that people are sitting up and taking notice of how much we get ripped off. There is no way that the price hike you demonstrated can be put down to import taxes, shipping costs or whatever else retailers like to blame.

It's across the board. I can't remember the last time I bought something online from Australia. Wait I can - the item was listed in stock so I ordered but it turned out that was a lie and they wanted me to wait 3 months for it. I cancelled my order and bought the item from the UK and had it in my hand a week later.

Aussie retailers are NOT helping themselves.

luckyphil

Newly Enlightened
Hi
try looking on eBay for surefire mate ,i am sure i saw some one that would ship here ,most sellers in the u s wont ship surefire here ,maybe surefire will not allow it ,:confused:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have got most of my Surefires from CPF Marketplace - they have all been lightly used (obviously not new, but not damaged or abused either)
And they have been much much cheaper than what the AU companies want for them (a local shop wants 350ish for an A2 aviator - I paid 160 for an A2, an L2 and shipping to Oz)

For a smidge over 300 I got a brand new Custom bored and anodized 9P, and a 1000 lumen moddoo triple dropin, and 2x18500 cells delivered from Oveready (who were great to deal with too)

There is a lot of places you can get Surefires for much less than the local stores are asking, I have bought one or two from eBay but prefer to deal with real flashaholics over at the marketplace
(you might be waiting a bit for an Invictus to pop up, but you could post a WTB too)

mcoccia

Newly Enlightened
Suggest you open an account with a freight forwarder so that everything is first shipped to a US address and then sent on to Australia. I use myusa.com.

mycotopian

Newly Enlightened
YIKES! you may be better off buying used from on these forums from seller willing to ship.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
This is true for most things across the board, not just flashlights. Look at Video games - $49.95 for a game in the US costs us $99.95 here, and that's for an online version via Steam! So the costs of importing are virtually nil. Same with Music off iTunes - Sad but True (by Metallica) $1.29 in the US, $2.19 here.

Retailers have been able to charge a premium for a product, because we have been willing to pay that much for that product. Now, with the internet and strong Aussie dollar, we're finding out just how much we've been shafted for. Sad but true.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It used to be that for the money you'd spend on a PowerBook G4 in Australia you could fly to Hawaii, stay in a reasonable hotel for 2 nights, buy the very same PowerBook while you were there and fly home.

At least it's not that bad any more!

Howecollc

Enlightened
Other side of the coin is we poor Yanks have to pay a fortune to get hold of a lowly Eveready Dolphin over here.

slingsy

Newly Enlightened
My local retailer is licensed Surefire reseller so prices for the flashlight and accessories are bang on with the website prices, 123's are still over priced though..

boofy

Newly Enlightened
the problem gets really obvious once you travel overseas. vancouver christmas shopping is extremely cheap for designer clothing etc. i hardly buy anything in australia now. like said earlier in previous posts, same products, twice the price yet our dollar is better. RIPOFF!!!   last year i purchased a 2 stroke engine from the US for my 1/5th scale hpi baja rc car.  anyway, it developed problems due to a faulty piston pin.  the seller said i could ship it back to them and they would repair it free of charge.  postage from the US to me approx $40.  postage back from me to the original US address about 3 weeks later $85.  cant figure that one out.

Last edited:

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Bloody right about the torch prices here in Oz.

There are a few options instead of buying the lights here at triple the price.

You can try websites like shiptooz or myus, which basically give you a USA address to ship to and they forward it to you. Delivery costs can add up but it's still heaps cheaper than buying a Surefire here.

The other option is to get one on ebay. I've picked up a few lights off ebay and they're fine and at a fraction of the cost of the Oz dealers. I've seen the UB3T advertised for $450 + $35 delivery recently.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you get Surefire in Australia at anything like fair prices?

The 'local' dealer sells the UB3T for $835!!! - yes that is an EIGHT.

I notice the US sellers have it for $385 and with the AUD higher than the USD the 'local' price makes the Dillingers look like philanthropists.

CR123a at AUD12 a piece at Bunnings! :sick2:
Normal.

Competition level is low in Australia, largely due to its geographic location. That is why online shopping is so popular, while the retail industry in general nationwide is on the down hill despite Australia's economy performing positively so far as a whole.

7histology, if you want to get Surefire lights, just go the CPFM's B/S/T section, you'll certainly get better deals there than anywhere in AU retail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts