Zebralight - High CRI Question

WhoDaresWins

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I recently ordered and received a Zebralight H31FC. It arrived in the familiar brown box from Zebralight, however, besides the white postage sticker on the bottom of the box, there were no other identifying marks to indicate which model light I had received. The light is in perfect condition with no abnormalities or defects... but this is my FIRST high cri light and it seems a bit cooler than what I had expected- more neutral... Is this normal for Zebralight high cri? Is there anything on the light I should look for to indicate that it is indeed a high cri light before I contact Zebralight? :thinking:

I'd appreciate any wisdom from you light gurus out there! Thanks for reading!

(I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place... I tried searching for similar confusion... but ended up with more... confusion.:shrug:)

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you get a good picture of the emitter to upload? As far as I know the HCRI models use the luxeon rebel and the rest use a CREE.

EDIT: just read it's an FC so a pic wouldn't work anyway, can't see the emitter through the diffusion lens. :shrug:

EDIT 2: At 4000k the tint should be somewhat of a nice "vanilla/creamy white" color.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There is more to high CRI than tint color...just so you know.

:D

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I have a couple h31cs, they arent as warm as the xpg high cri... Not as neutral as the nichia 119 high cri, which is 4500k... i like the zebralight high cri tint the best because it is not too warm, not too cool. I would describe them as being on the warm side of neutral.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine looks warm next to a a cool white led and looks cool-ish next to Malkoff M31WL (3700K).
Zebralight reports their high CRI as 4000K. I like mine lots.

Last edited:

WhoDaresWins

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the fast responses

think2x:
I couldn't get a picture of the emitter because it's a zebralight floody light with the frosted lens. I did, however, ATTEMPT to take a beamshot (my first) comparing the H31FC to my friends Preon 1 (high cri 85). I understand that it is NOT accurate because I am not sure how to adjust my camera settings to capture the right colors. ....but I figured something is better than nothing! (preon high cri on left)

TEEJ:
Yes, I'm learning quickly (and the hard way) that there are many subtleties to led types. From your experience what should I be looking for when it comes to quality high cri lights? I am looking for good color rendition... not to concerned about output. Maybe you can point me in the right direction. :shrug:

Chrisdm:
I'm thinking of order more Zebralights to test out the different emitters/tints. What do you suggest?

Websniper

Newly Enlightened
Who dares,

The others are right. The ZL high CRI is closer in tint to neutral than warm.

Just remember high CRI does not necessarily mean a warm tint.

I bought my ZL H51Fc specifically for outdoor use. It's good, but for outdoorsy use, I think I could use a slightly warmer tint with more browns and reds, but for everyday use the c models are all but perfect to me.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me the ZL H51Fc is just an all around near perfect light for what it's designed for. It's small, tough, efficient, good levels and spacing, convenient battery, great quality of light, and overall I think it's made to please more people and just work - I do like warm tints but I find the 4000K to be a great compromise, it's probably the most all around useful and comfortable light that I have. I've forgotten I had it clipped to my baseball cap, flat out forgot I was using a flashlight.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my lightbox out, so heck, why not!

The 85 CRI emitter is a Philips Rebel:

qYzuc

it is on the left.

23sVw

and a beamshot! You can guess which is which! (85 cri rebel vs cool white)

Craig

Last edited:

WhoDaresWins

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much everyone for all the helpful info. I've been doing my best to read up on high cri lights... I still got my share of homework to do!

csshih, thanks for the photo! I think I'm going to go about this CPF style and just by all three types: high cri, neutral, AND regular. :naughty: