Thinking about a Jetbeam RRT-0 XML

vermeire

Newly Enlightened
I'm basically looking to replace a Liteflux LF3XT that blew on me. I like the low low of the Liteflux lights and want something that has the brightness and efficiency of the newer led's that are available now. The light I've been carrying most since I sent my LF3XT out has been my LF2XT w/10440. I use the full UI with the levels set at 0/5/20/100%. I want something brighter. I'm not set on having the variable of the RRT-0 but it doesn't appear that any fixed level lights have the lower brightness levels available. Right now I'm staying away from AA/14500. Here's what I've looked at so far:

Sunwayman V20C: Don't know if I want to go to a larger form factor, especially with the larger head; might limit pocketability

Sunwayman V10R: Doesn't have the high/low output I want (what are the numbers like on a 16340?)

Jetbeam PC10: Strobe and SOS in normal cycle, no thanks

Thrunite 1C: Don't care for the UI, max output too low

Klarus XT1C: No low low

What other lights am I missing or is the RRT-0 going to fill my needs? The only concern I have is how usable the light is with one hand. I'm used to double-clicking the digital switch on the Liteflux lights to switch levels. The other thing I just thought about was auto shut-off or over-discharge protection...

Last edited:

vermeire

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered the ZL SC600?

I looked at the SC600 and basically the same objections to the SWM V20C apply: size/head diameter. This would also force me to invest in a charger and 18650s. Which is something I should do...

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm basically looking to replace a Liteflux LF3XT that blew on me. I like the low low of the Liteflux lights and want something that has the brightness and efficiency of the newer led's that are available now. The light I've been carrying most since I sent my LF3XT out has been my LF2XT w/10440. I use the full UI with the levels set at 0/5/20/100%. I want something brighter. I'm not set on having the variable of the RRT-0 but it doesn't appear that any fixed level lights have the lower brightness levels available. Right now I'm staying away from AA/14500. Here's what I've looked at so far:

Sunwayman V20C: Don't know if I want to go to a larger form factor, especially with the larger head; might limit pocketability

Sunwayman V10R: Doesn't have the high/low output I want (what are the numbers like on a 16340?)

Jetbeam PC10: Strobe and SOS in normal cycle, no thanks

Thrunite 1C: Don't care for the UI, max output too low

Klarus XT1C: No low low

What other lights am I missing or is the RRT-0 going to fill my needs? The only concern I have is how usable the light is with one hand. I'm used to double-clicking the digital switch on the Liteflux lights to switch levels. The other thing I just thought about was auto shut-off or over-discharge protection...

Sunwayman V10R XML - Great light. Can easily set the brightness before turning on the light and won't turn on in your pocket. Beam profile is mostly pure flood with very little throw. On IMR 16340 should be around 450 lumens max (compared to 550 for the RRT0), with a very low low (lower than the lowest setting on my LF2XT). This light is also much smaller than the RRT0 making it more practical for EDC use.

Downside: No reverse polarity protection. I accidentally put my cell in the wrong ray and turned on the light. I noticed right away and turned it off, but that 1 second of exposure to the wrong polarity messed up the tuning on the dimmer. Now instead of a smooth ramp from minimum to max, my V10r starts off with a super-low low (much lower than it should have). So low that I can only tell its on by sticking my face 6" from the LED in a dark room (my guess is less than 1/100 of a lumen). Then as I turn the dial my light will very gradually get brighter. After turning it nearly 80% of the way to max it abruptly over the course of about 1 mm turn jumps up to max. In some ways this new tuning is nice: I have a lower low than a stock V10R and much more control over moonlight and low modes and can still easily access max mode. However, it's very difficult to access medium modes.

My advice would be if you buy a V10R immediately go buy a plastic washer to use as reverse polarity protection.

Thrunite 1C - fairly bright on 16340. Almost as bright as the V10R. Lowest low is also very low, but not as low as on the V10R. Good knurling for secure grip. One problem with this light is the rubber switch button is too soft. When changing the battery it puffs up and then prevents the light from tailstanding, until the excess air leaks out (which takes maybe half a day). Not a bad light buy the V10R is better.

Zebralight SC80 - Excellent Zebralight interface which allows easy access to high and low. The low setting is very low. Downside is output is just 220 lumens (or maybe 260 on 14500 / 16340). So it puts out a lot less light than the XML lights like the V10R even though they are the same size. The SC80 is well knurled with a deeply recessed electronic button that your thumb naturally falls onto. It feels superb in the hand. Much more secure than the V10R or even the Thrunite. Also, unlike the V10R you don't have to rotate the light in your hand to access the brightness control ring after you turn it on when using it one-handed. The SC80 is also avaiable in neutral and High CRI for those who like to tint shop.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at the SC600 and basically the same objections to the SWM V20C apply: size/head diameter. This would also force me to invest in a charger and 18650s. Which is something I should do...

the ZL SC600 is a great light. It feels perfect in the hand and has a real "wow" factor with how bright it is. But I also agree that it's just too big for everyday pocket carry.

vermeire

Newly Enlightened
How has the tint been on the RRT-0s from people experience? I don't think I'd mind a little blue but I don't want any green or purple. The whiter or warmer the better I guess. Thoughts?

My LF3XT was a little short for my preference and the V10R isn't much longer so I think I'm going to go with the RRT-0 like I was planning. Unless I hear terrible things about the tint.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an rrt0 XML and the tint isn't bad, cool white and feels sturdy. I'm not a fan of the standby mode so I'm trading it in the marketplace. I find I like the simplicity of the Sunwayman UI over the Jetbeam
And it's extra modes

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
V10A XML. You have an excellent AA output (better than RRT-0) while being SAME SIZE as RRT-0... go 450+ lm using a 14500. Only miss... no strobe or standby type mode.

vermeire

Newly Enlightened
CarpentryHero Ironically I just asked about your light in your CPFMP thread. I'll be making a decision by tomorrow hopefully.

vermeire

Newly Enlightened
I just asked about the tint which you answered here. Like I said, deciding soon. Just need to decide if I actually have the money or not.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mentioned that you like the low lows and efficiency... are runtimes at the low modes important to you? If so look closely at the variable control ring lights' runtimes on their lowest mode - the runtimes are relatively short indicating a heavy overhead drain to operate the rings. Compare them to Zebralight and 4Sevens' Quark moonlight modes which will run hundreds of hours on a single cell.

vermeire

Newly Enlightened
I'm not overly concerned with the runtimes as much as output levels. I'm by no means a flashaholic; just have an appreciation for a versatile light and ever since I started carrying my Fenix L1T v2.0 over 4 years ago I like having a light on me most of the time. The RRT-0 is 100 hours at the lowest output and that is fine with me.