Definition of Flashaholic

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Someone asked me for the definition of this term. I did not have an answer that I was satisfied with - nor was the person asking - so I present the question. Forgive me if this has been discussed previously. I have not spent as much time here lately.

The person whom had asked me is writing an article.

KT

Flashaholic - (n.): A volunteer student of portable illumination tools. A person who is addicted and up-to-date with flashlights and lighting technology. A person who carries flashlights like some people carry knives, however, are prone to inventing situations for using flashlights which suggests that they are hobbyists. On who quests for the impossible flashlight - smaller, brighter, cheaper, longer runtime, multiple beam options including different output levels, colours, beam throws. One who carries more than the normal amount of flashlights on their person at most odd hours of the day, or is at least within arms reach of one.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Obviously the range of interest and involvment (obsession) spans a broad distance! If you accept that YOU are a flashaholic then I think in general terms a flashaholic is a person who has identified the flashlight as a tool of choice and preference and is a person who has taken it upon himself (herself)to know more about the various lights available as well as understand how all of them are a compromise of one sort or another. I consider a flashaholic as a volunteer student of portable illumination tools.

- Don

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashaholic - (n.): A person who is addicted and up-to-date with flashlights and lighting technology. Flashaholics may have as many as 12 lights on them at all times. (*COUGHmeCOUGH*) Flashaholics can be seen frequenting Candle Power Forums (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ )

Not official, but I think it covers it.

//Dan

Size15's

Flashaholic
Flashaholic - A person who carries flashlights like some people carry knives, however, are prone to inventing situations for using flashlights which suggests that they are hobbyists.

Other important things to include:

1) CandlePowerForums - can't be a real flashaholic until you've been here.

2) Quest for the impossible flashlight - smaller, brighter, cheaper, longer runtime, multiple beam options including different output levels, colours, beam throws.

3) Prone to saying to people "That isn't a flashlight! This is a flashlight!!" [I've done this twice in the last 5 days - perhaps it's just me?]

How does that sound? Can it be worded into something useful?

Al

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
...Prone to saying to people "That isn't a flashlight! This is a flashlight!!" [I've done this twice in the last 5 days - perhaps it's just me?]
Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're a regular Flashahol Dundee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David <><

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
3) Prone to saying to people "That isn't a flashlight! This is a flashlight!!" [I've done this twice in the last 5 days - perhaps it's just me?]

Al

[/ QUOTE ]
Al, it's not just you...
Only this morning, one of the security guards at work was showing me his new Naglight. The sun wasnt quite up yet he says "Look how bright this sucker is!" and pointed it at a wall 10 ft away. I immediatly whipped out my This_is_Nascar P61 modded E2E and COMPLETELY washed out his beam. I think I have brought another one over from the 'dark' side...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I copied and pasted some very good responses in my first post. Keep those responses coming. I think we will have a good definition for that article.

RevDavid

Enlightened
Flashaholics:

1. Have more 123 batteries squirreled away than AA's.

2. Know that an integrating sphere is not something from Star Trek.

3. Would rather meet PK than MJ.

4. Actually know what white light looks like.

5. Would rather have the new Surefire catalog than the new swimsuit issue.

6. Know how Lucas got the idea for lightsabers.

7. Know that the difference between a flood and a spill has nothing to do with how wet they are.

8. Are not much more likely to look down the barrel of a light than down the barrel of a gun.

9. Actually know why you might use a red light.

10. Seem to take a perverse pleasure in blackouts.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Know that an integrating sphere is not something from Star Trek.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMAO! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
A flashaholic is the one in the crowd that has a suspicious bulge in their pocket, they are not happy to see someone and the rest of the crowd mumbles under their breath, "FREAK!" when they walk by.

I had a situation this weekend... A bunch of us went Jeepin' out to the Desert Bar (geepondy... it was awesome!!) and when we all showed up at the meeting place, I was greeted with, "Hey Kel! How many flashlights do you have on ya?"... and my answer was, "Five, of course!"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

(sidenote to tvodrd: ... I call the light you gave me my "Larry Light" and it fits perfedtly in that tiny little pocket inside the front pocket of my jeans... I carry it with me all the time!)

You all have turned me into a flashaholic... I blame it all on you. I actually know what Surefire heads go on what Surefire bodies now... and I know that HA does not mean "high altitude"... that's just pitiful... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
and it alll started with a little Arc AAA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JOshooter

Enlightened
We all have to start small and then work our way up to the "Big Guns" er, "Big Torches".

Flashaholic- 1)One who prayes for rolling blackouts to field test a new flashlight.
2) Must be a member of CPF.
3) One who carries more than the normal amount of flashlights on their person at most odd hours of the day, or is at least within arms reach of one.
4) One who is addicted to Flashahol.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Added more to the definition in the first post. All of these responses are excellent and true, but some are just too esoteric for the non-CPF portion of the population. I have included definitions that your average non-Flashaholic could easily understand.

Ying, the "You know you're a flashaholic if..." thread was quite entertaining for us but would leave the general population clueless.

Thanks all. Keep the responses rolling.

KT (once posting as Kogatana or ".")

yclo

Flashaholic*
Quite true, which reminds me of a quote I read somewhere:

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." — Albert Einstein.

Therefore, it is all about perspective. And we have to take the perspective of an outsider, a "layperson" if you will.

The most simple way to put it would be a person who is interested in flashlights, but saying that everytime is a mouthful so it eventually became flasholic in short.

Anymore than that and it's becoming difficult for yoru grandmother to understand....

OT: KT, is it ok if I have a copy of the article when the person is done compiling it?

-YC

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about:
(1)a person who puts batteries on their grocery list, just to be sure to have a couple extra.
(2) a person who's children have more flashlights than most adults even know exist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
A person who's three-year-old knows how to turn on every flashlight in the house, even when said person's wife can only turn on half of them.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a link to the other post you were refering to if you need any more ideas. It's great to see a new thread with a "formal" defintion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Mike