Rechargeable Fenix RC10 discussion...

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Well, I'll leave the discussion part up to you guys to start :)

hidcanada20120309232339.jpg

my#1hobby

Enlightened
This is a very nice looking light. It's about time they came out with a rechargeable light. I hope it's reliable though, I've always used Streamlights because they were rechargeable and reliable and used my Fenix etc. lights for when I needed serious power. Looks like I will get the best of both when this comes out. :)

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a worry free day-to-day solution to non-flashaholics, or for flashaholics who likes to collect torches, I can see this as a good option. But for people who has a bunch of 18650 li-ion, why go through all the fuss with little advantage?

All it does is the creation of another point of failure. Good luck with finding a new charging dock when the light is discontinued. I bet, by that stage if you ask Fenix for a replacement, they will tell you either, "Please go find your near dealer" so that you can bugger off and/or "They now no available" so that you can fk off.

At the end of the day. You can see this as a novelty item. OR if you're planning to use it as a duty light, just be prepared to have it replaced in a few years time. Don't count on their "Limited Lifetime Warrant", it is just tossed around to give you a false sense of security. I have experienced if first hand.

Last edited:

duro

Enlightened
Fenix offers a good warranty. When all else failed they sent me a replacement light and an apology. No other company has ever gone this far.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the light is still in production and within the 1 year mark, it sounds reasonable.

The question is what happens AFTER the 1 year and/or when the light is no longer in production and you need spare parts.

FYI, I have absolute confidence Surefire can match if not BEAT whatever Fenix has to offer in terms of After-Sales Service. (Leave out the timely response bit, SF takes about a couple of days to respond.) Btw, spare parts that was shipped to me by SF from California to Sydney was free of charge (The parts was free of charge as well as the shipping) and they shipped the goods promptly upon confirmation. That is my experience with Surefire.

To be fair to Fenix, I have not directly dealt with Fenix's manufacturer, so I cannot speak from experience. However, I certainly have dealt with Jetbeam's manufacturer directly more than once. For each and every time it was in regards to a light that is out of production at the time, and their success rate in rectify my problem EQUALS ZERO PERCENT (0%).

The following is just my opinion, so I certainly can be wrong. IMO, Jetbeam, Fenix, Nitecore, etc all those "top Chinese" brands seems to have a similar if not identical After-Sales Services due to their apparent similar business model. If you have a look at their "Limited Life-Time Warranty" Terms & Condtions, you would understand what I mean.

In other words, my hypothesis is that they probably do offer a 1-2 year warranty. I do believe that. But their "Limited" clause is simply there to limited their liability to be obligated to "have a look" at the light if there's something wrong and nothing beyond that. While the "Life-time" component seems to be in reference to the flashlight itself as oppose to my expectation of being THE USERS' LIFE-TIME!!

My friend, don't be fooled.

Apologises if I unleashed too much fury.

Fenix offers a good warranty. When all else failed they sent me a replacement light and an apology. No other company has ever gone this far.

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found Nitecore's customer service to be exemplary, way beyond what I would expect. They are owned by the same parent company as Jetbeam, and this was in reference to a now out of production light.

Sometimes it is better than others though, when they were changing over the website and contact addresses there were a few problems, but once you actually get in contact with the right person I cannot fault them at all.

duro

Enlightened
When the light is still in production and within the 1 year mark, it sounds reasonable.

The question is what happens AFTER the 1 year and/or when the light is no longer in production and you need spare parts.

FYI, I have absolute confidence Surefire can match if not BEAT whatever Fenix has to offer in terms of After-Sales Service. (Leave out the timely response bit, SF takes about a couple of days to respond.) Btw, spare parts that was shipped to me by SF from California to Sydney was free of charge (The parts was free of charge as well as the shipping) and they shipped the goods promptly upon confirmation. That is my experience with Surefire.

To be fair to Fenix, I have not directly dealt with Fenix's manufacturer, so I cannot speak from experience. However, I certainly have dealt with Jetbeam's manufacturer directly more than once. For each and every time it was in regards to a light that is out of production at the time, and their success rate in rectify my problem EQUALS ZERO PERCENT (0%).

The following is just my opinion, so I certainly can be wrong. IMO, Jetbeam, Fenix, Nitecore, etc all those "top Chinese" brands seems to have a similar if not identical After-Sales Services due to their apparent similar business model. If you have a look at their "Limited Life-Time Warranty" Terms & Condtions, you would understand what I mean.

In other words, my hypothesis is that they probably do offer a 1-2 year warranty. I do believe that. But their "Limited" clause is simply there to limited their liability to be obligated to "have a look" at the light if there's something wrong and nothing beyond that. While the "Life-time" component seems to be in reference to the flashlight itself as oppose to my expectation of being THE USERS' LIFE-TIME!!

My friend, don't be fooled.

Apologises if I unleashed too much fury.

Fenix models are usually interchangeable. When I needed a part for my PD31, I was sent the part for the PD32 which worked. And then finally, A PD32 in its entirety.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
My biggest concern with the RC10 is how good is the charger. One of the safest things you can do for Li-Ions is get a very nice charger (that and get protected cells). The problems with Li-Ions usually happen while charging. I don't know about you guys, but unless they have a top notch charger that cuts off completely, and I mean COMPLETELY, at 4.15 volts, then I'm not interested. The last thing anybody needs is a pipe bomb with a timer hanging on their wall.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found Nitecore's customer service to be exemplary, way beyond what I would expect. They are owned by the same parent company as Jetbeam, and this was in reference to a now out of production light.

Sometimes it is better than others though, when they were changing over the website and contact addresses there were a few problems, but once you actually get in contact with the right person I cannot fault them at all.
Fenix models are usually interchangeable. When I needed a part for my PD31, I was sent the part for the PD32 which worked. And then finally, A PD32 in its entirety.
When the parts are available, then of course they can offer it. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but my problems weren't rectified was mainly because they didn't have the parts. So I don't care how helpful they try to be, they're just not helpful. I really liked Jetbeam's lights, I guess the opposite of love is hate. lol

My biggest concern with the RC10 is how good is the charger. One of the safest things you can do for Li-Ions is get a very nice charger (that and get protected cells). The problems with Li-Ions usually happen while charging. I don't know about you guys, but unless they have a top notch charger that cuts off completely, and I mean COMPLETELY, at 4.15 volts, then I'm not interested. The last thing anybody needs is a pipe bomb with a timer hanging on their wall.
As with your concern. I totally see where you're coming from. I honestly didn't think of that first up. Just to further continue your point. When these Asian brands blow up in America (and Australia in my case), I can imagine our legal rights are next to none existent in terms of seek damages.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *NEW* Fenix RC10

Hmmm...might be useful to some, but i'd prefer the ability to pop in a regular 18650 into this light and keep on going without having to recharge it from time to time because of its special looking battery.

kens2cents

Newly Enlightened
Anybody use a Fenix RC10?

Hey Everybody!

Anybody here use the rechargeable Fenix RC10 flashlight? I was thinking about buying one for a family member for Christmas. It looks like a great light and comes with both a/c and d/c chargers. I'm assuming the flashlight can be left on the charger when not in use... that way it will be fully charged when needed.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks!