Quark "X" AA2: is a cool-off period necessary in max mode?

LayZa

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm considering buying the Quark AA2 "X" (w/ the XM-L). Just curious if there's a cool-off period necessary when running the flashlight at Max output (280 lumens), i.e. 10 minutes on 1 minute off, or if it's safe (for the flashlight and the batteries) to have it on for as long as the batteries last? I plan on using eneloops but might also use alkalines on a rare occasion.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
HERE is a QXAA^2 review from HKJ. He's put a heat graph in showing that, after the 3min. automatic voltage/lumen drop-off point, the light's temperature stabilizes at about 43 degrees C. So, I don't think you have worry about it. Good time to buy one... 40% sales around.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
4Sevens drastically underrates their XM-L conversions of previously available lights; the AA2 X actually hits 400 lumens ANSI on max (per Selfbuilt's review/measurements), which is asking a lot of a small-diameter body to cope with.

LayZa

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to you both for the info, especially the clue on the sales. I wasn't going to buy one this soon but Survival-Pax has good deals on 4Sevens stuff right now so I decided to buy tonight -- didn't want to miss out.

Looking forward to getting it!