dorcy 220lm mod help

onvol

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have decided to mod my 220lm dorcy rechargeable to xm-l u2 also I am going to change battery setup to power the xm-l. My question is, will it be alright to use it without a driver. I believe that this light is regulated. I measured 3.0V to the LED. (unsure what LED came with the light). There is absolutely no room for a driver in the head.
Battery setup possibilities for me:
1x18650
4 x 1500mah NiMH 2/3A
Other: If you believe I could get better runtime on a different cell please specify another cell

Alright flashlight guru's, hit me with your best shot :wave:

P.S.
If your wondering why I am going to try this: 4 x 1500mah NiMH fried the current LED I guess:poof::fail: made the tint dark, so time to mod this thing:thumbsup:

Hill

Enlightened
Without a driver or resistance, you run the risk of blowing your XML.

I modded the same light here a while back using a P7 DD off one 18650, but the Vf of the P7 was ~3.7v. XML's have much lower Vf, so DD is risky.

onvol

Newly Enlightened
is there a such creature (driver) that would fit inside the tube behind the stock switch? As that is the only place I see room for anything without adding copper like your mod :-/

onvol

Newly Enlightened
Alright, lets forget the XM-L for a second, how about a sst-50 on a 20mm board direct driven?

Hill

Enlightened
yeah, that would work, but don't expect to drive it much above 3A with an 18650.

You could fit a driver between the switch and led. There's plenty of space there, so you could easily wire a 2.8A driver there under a heatsink.

moderator007

Enlightened
The driver hill is talking about I assume, is the shining beam driver. Its a 8-amc7135 2800ma 17mm (dia) driver. The driver is actual some what small. I have fitted a 3-amc7135 driver in a maglite switch long ago, with out harming the switch.

onvol

Newly Enlightened
Alright, little update: went ahead and bought a few xml's t6 on 20mm stars, shaved the edges a little on the star, wired to the heatsink, used some good silver paste, and I am gonna test run for personal testing direct drive. Also bought a few drivers you mentioned, they haven't arrived yet. I am using the 2/3A batteries I mentioned in the first post so no tests have been made with the 18650. I tested 1.1A at the tail and 3.1V at the LED. Any guess on how long the LED will last in this setup? Also: world of difference in light output for this light. It does not stack up to my modded maglite from Jayrob but it has a different reflector so its a no brainer there.

moderator007

Enlightened
1100mah current draw and 1500mah battery capacity. 1500mah divide by 1100mah = 1.36 hours. This will not be exact because as the batteries drain they lose some voltage and the current will go down as there drained. But should be a ball-park estimate.