Surefire lenses and bezels

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 surefires with round bezels and lexan lenses. The beams always have a hotspot surrounded by a round circle of spill light with a crisp clean edge. I recently obtained a C2 bezel in a trade and it has a pyrex lense and a sort of retaining ring that appears to hold the lense in place. The retaining ring has notches that appear to there for a tool to utilize, I guess for removing the ring.

I just bought a new G2. It seems to have a lexan lense but it also has that notched retaining ring, unlike my old style 6P,9P and 8X.

The round circle of spill light on the G2 and on the 6P using the C2 bezel has a notched edge around the circumference, instead of the clean crisp circle edge with the old bezels.

The crisp clean edge looks much better on the wall although I doubt if it matters in normal use.

Why does the G2 have that notched retaining ring in the front of the bezel when it has a lexan lense? Anyone know what I'm talking about?.. lol

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would assume they switched the lexan assembly process to match the pyrex for ease. i'm just guessing here.
icon3.gif

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that means you can't simply snap in a new lexan lens when needed? Is there a tool for that bezel ring with the notches?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G2 and some other models have screwed & glued retaining rings to secure Lexan lenses. These are not user replacement parts.

Al

nihraguk

Enlightened
yup....you can't have the G2 bezel work the same way as the aluminium ones, because nitrolon doesn't have the tensile strength of aluminium to make having a snap fit nitrolon bezel feasible. hence, the need for the retaining ring. i hope surefire changes the G2 lens to a pyrex one in future though.