Will Fenix LD10 and LD20 be DISCONTINUED?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I was wondering if the Fenix LD10 and LD20 will be discontinued now that the LD12 and LD22 are being put on the market?
I tought all models would still be offered, at least four a while - just like the PD30 and PD32.

However, I've read a couple of posts saying of rumors of the LD10 and LD20 being discontinued.
Would anybody know more about this?

Thank you in advance,

L

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the LD10 / 20 is no longer in production anymore since the LD12 / 22 is more or less an enhanced LD10/20. But I'm sure it will take some time until the LD10 / 20 will be sold out at all places. It is not a rare light like a Liteflux LF2XT.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the info WarriorofLight, much appreciated! : )

I guess that means the PD30 has also been discontinued but it can still be easily found with retailers. I'm even happier I'm getting both the Fenix LD10 and LD20 if they are being discontinued: I gave a couple away as presents but never really owned one. The LD12 and LD22 seem to have several improvements but on paper at least they seem to have some drawbacks too - in terms of throw and intensity - compared to the older LD10 and LD20. Not to mention that whether adding a side switch is an improvement or not is simply down to personal preference.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had the same question a few days ago. was asking myself. because.
when you go to fenixtactical website they dont sell the LD10 and LD20 any longer!
the old web-url still exists (google search hit) but when you click on it you're redirected to fenixtactical webpages for the new models

yikes

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's true or maybe I should say that's sad - LOL!
I've been checking around and there are still plenty of offerings for both ligths all the way back to the Q5 version.
In any case, I did not want to take any chances so I just ordered a LD10 R5 I found on sale! :naughty:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly higher lumens, better runtime, and most of all memory and forward clicky might be very appealing even to LD10/LD20 lovers. I have a feeling the side switch and the prospect of always having to change grip to cycle through modes might put off quite a few potential buyers though, especially considering these days there are many respectable brands offering valid alternatives in the AA category. My guess is that if Fenix see the LD20 keeps selling well they might keep producing it for a while still!

That said, I'm really looking forward to see feedback on the LD12 and especially the LD22!

Last edited:

A10K

Newly Enlightened
Considering that the first XR-E Q5 edition of the LD20 is still available on Amazon (many) years after the XP-G versions have been released, I don't think the supply of LD20's will dry up anytime soon. That being said, I feel like the market is much larger now than when I first went shopping for a 2xAA light four years ago, so finding a light with similar feel/features shouldn't be a problem either (Quark AA2, anyone?)

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Slightly higher lumens, better runtime, and most of all memory and forward clicky might be very appealing even to LD10/LD20 lovers. I have a feeling the side switch and the prospect of always having to change grip to cycle through modes might put off quite a few potential buyers though, especially considering these days there are many respectable brands offering valid alternatives in the AA category. My guess is that if Fenix see the LD20 keeps selling well they might keep producing it for a while still!

That said, I'm really looking forward to see feedback on the LD12 and especially the LD22!

I love my LD10 R5. I just got it last week and have been running it on a 14500 and it's crazy bright, but you lose the lower modes.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering that the first XR-E Q5 edition of the LD20 is still available on Amazon (many) years after the XP-G versions have been released, I don't think the supply of LD20's will dry up anytime soon. That being said, I feel like the market is much larger now than when I first went shopping for a 2xAA light four years ago, so finding a light with similar feel/features shouldn't be a problem either (Quark AA2, anyone?)
Not only the first XR-E Q5 edition of the LD20 (and even the LD10) are still available but they seem to be on sale even at higher prices than the LD12 and LD22. I'm referring to the versions with no clip and little (LD20) or no knarling (LD10).

andix

Newly Enlightened
I bought a LD10 yesterday. The store owner said she's no longer able to order them.

On a side note, the forward switch on the LD12/22 is absolutely horrible - I can't stand the poor IQ behind it. It's the reason behind selling my TK15 as well. :(

bon1

Newly Enlightened
On a side note, the forward switch on the LD12/22 is absolutely horrible - I can't stand the poor IQ behind it. It's the reason behind selling my TK15 as well. :(

Why is the forward switch of the LD12/LD22 horrible? What's wrong with its user interface? I'm asking this because I'm interested in these lights.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really glad I got the LD10. If I go mad and convert to side switches - never say never - I can always get the LD12 and LD22 in a year or so when an upgraded model comes out.
I'm still hoping that at some point Fenix change their mind and come out with just a new LD10 and new LD20 with improved design + memory on the general mode + forward clicky + hidden flashing modes + keep the ability to tailstand. The way I see it is that if that if they had just done that, they would have dug the graves for a few competitors' ligths... could be wrong of course.

Why is the forward switch of the LD12/LD22 horrible? What's wrong with its user interface? I'm asking this because I'm interested in these lights.
It's just that a lot people, including myself, don't like the idea of having to use the clicky to swith on/off and then change grip or use two hands to cycle to the desired output level using the side switch. If you don't mind that, then they are great lights.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my LD10 today, I had bought it before as a present to my father played with it for a few days before having a chance to give it to him. I didn't remember it to be so bright and the specs say it'a 100 lumens on Turbo!!! I've only played with it indoors but my perception is that neither the JetBeam PA10 (rated at 140 lumens) nor the Klarus XT1A (rated at 150 lumens) seem to be brighter at all. Maybe the fact that the LD10 beam is a cool white - compared to the greenish tint of the PA10 and the warmer beam of the XT1A - gives that perception!
I know the difference in lumens in not that big after all but I can clearly tell that the PA20 is way brighter than the LD20. In any case, R5 aside the latest LD10 is a 3 and half years old design but seems to remain an excellent light even by current standards.

Jay611j

Enlightened
I received my LD10 today, I had bought it before as a present to my father played with it for a few days before having a chance to give it to him. I didn't remember it to be so bright and the specs say it'a 100 lumens on Turbo!!! I've only played with it indoors but my perception is that neither the JetBeam PA10 (rated at 140 lumens) nor the Klarus XT1A (rated at 150 lumens) seem to be brighter at all. Maybe the fact that the LD10 beam is a cool white - compared to the greenish tint of the PA10 and the warmer beam of the XT1A - gives that perception!
I know the difference in lumens in not that big after all but I can clearly tell that the PA20 is way brighter than the LD20. In any case, R5 aside the latest LD10 is a 3 and half years old design but seems to remain an excellent light even by current standards.
You should see the LD10 on a 14500...:naughty:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the same with the JetBeam PA10: they are both lights designed to run on AA but that if needed can run on 14500 to provide high outputs for a short time. If you see them that way they are great.
If you see them as 14500 who can run on AA you think those the LD10 and PA10 have a problem.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
It's the same with the JetBeam PA10: they are both lights designed to run on AA but that if needed can run on 14500 to provide high outputs for a short time. If you see them that way they are great.
If you see them as 14500 who can run on AA you think those the LD10 and PA10 have a problem.
Exactly, some people just don't get it. I run mine on a 14500 as well as I don't use the low modes, that's what my E05 on my keychain is for.:thumbsup:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LD20 Q5 was my first high end light, the Orangepeel reflector gives it a beautiful beam and the tint is on the nicer side of coolwhite, I don't see anything wrong with the LD22, the side switch makes it less like Quark and Thrunite UI
It wasn't a necessary change in my eyes ;)

Latest posts